X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Finishing Nailer

I am going to buy either the angled or straight fininshing nailer. If you had to choose which would be a better all round nailer.

Re: Which Finishing Nailer

Most straigh finish nailers use 16 guage nails and most angled nailers use 15 guage nails. 15 guage is much stonger nail.

Comment

I have a Campbell Hausfeld straight finishing nailer.

It is terrible. Either beats the bejesus out of the wood or doesn't sink the nail. My battery powered Ryobi nailer beats it hands down, and that's not particularly great either.

Avoid.

Comment

For finish work 18g and I would get straight cause they are more common and cheaper.HD usually has a compressor with 2 or 3 nail guns very cheap

Comment

I have the Dewalt 18 gauge and the Bostich 23 guage pinner. Both are very adjustable easy to use with simple jam removal.

Big G

Comment

The angle nailers can get into tighter spots than the straight nailers can. If holding power is what you're after, the 15ga nails are also a better choice over the 16ga nails. Pretty much the 18ga and above brads/pins have little to no holding power on their own.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

also consider how big of a hole you want to fill.

i started off with a 2" 18ga. Then added a 15ga for crown. Then I got a good deal on a 16ga nailer.

just face it. you'll end up buying a 18ga, 16ga and 15 ga. and don't forget a stapler!

Comment

I agree with pretty much all that's been said. There's pros and cons to each and every kind and style of nailer - you need to sort out your usage needs, and buy the nailer that fits that. I myself prefer the 18 gauge brads - I find that they hold just as good with their "brad" head at 18 gauge, as a 15- or 16-gauge finish nail would. Both end up leaving you with the same size hole to fill, if you aren't able to get them to drive perfectly flush. Angled and straight - same issues as others mentioned (tighter spaces for angled, but more common and cheaper for straight, etc.)

Comment

I have both the Ridgid Straight Finish Nailer (16 guage) and the Ridgid Brad Nailer (18 guage). I really like them both and have yet to have a single jam or other problem.

The Finish Nailer is ideal for doing window and baseboard trim, etc. The brad nailer is most often used just to tack on molding or trim that is rather narrow or trim items that are being glued.

While I do like my straight finish nailer, I think there's a distinct advantage to having the "angle" finish nailer for sure. There are just too many tight spots, like corners, etc. where I wish that "straight" magazine is in the way and I'd like to bend it back!

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I agree fully with CWS. If I were to give my two tool suggestion, it would be for the standard (ie - straight) 18 gauge brad nailer, along with the angled finish nailer. That pairing gives you the best of both worlds, with very similar sized entry holes in your material, but varying usage variety. If just one, I would say the angled finish. (But I like my brads better!). On the other side of that, the narrow-crown finish stapler makes a round finish out for a nice trio with the previously mentioned two.

Comment

I have the Ridgid 16 and 18 gauge nailers. They are the "straight design"
                      As a weekend warrior, I do little molding type work, the the need for the angle 15Gauge nailer is not in my arsenal of nailers. I rarely have challenges with tight corners.

For the rest of my nailers....I have the Ridgid stapler, a Craftsman wide stapler, both are very handy! The wide staplers are better for upholstery work.

I also now have a Liker 23 gauge pinner and have retired my cadex.

Bottom line is ..define your needs then you can determine which style you want.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by the2js97 View Post
                        also consider how big of a hole you want to fill.

i started off with a 2" 18ga. Then added a 15ga for crown. Then I got a good deal on a 16ga nailer.

just face it. you'll end up buying a 18ga, 16ga and 15 ga. and don't forget a stapler!
                        Thanks to everyone for all your comments. You were right I first bought the 16 guage straight nailer and now have bit the bullet and bought the 15 guage angle nailer, and a 18 guage brad nailer. I have not used them very much yet but it is sure nice to have the varity.

Comment

Originally posted by tuchodi View Post
                          Thanks to everyone for all your comments. You were right I first bought the 16 guage straight nailer and now have bit the bullet and bought the 15 guage angle nailer, and a 18 guage brad nailer. I have not used them very much yet but it is sure nice to have the varity.
                          but you forgot the pinner. Ya Gots Ta Have A Pinner!
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                            but you forgot the pinner. Ya Gots Ta Have A Pinner!
                            And a narrow crown stapler!

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                              And a narrow crown stapler!
                              Thanks but go easy on my pocket book guy's.

Comment

Working...
                              X