X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ol50145mw

I have a double tank wheelbarrow compressor. My probablem is that when I plug it up and start it for the first time of the day it starts really slow and trips the breaker over and over . But once it starts the rest of the day it runs fine. I have had some suggest that it might be the capacitors. Anyone have any advice? thanks.

Re: ol50145mw

How long has it been doing this, and what are the local temperatures? While it could be the capacitors I suppose, my experience has been that it's the oil viscosity. I had an old Ingersoll-Rand twin tank, wheel barrow unit and while it ran fine in the warmer months, once the temperature got down below 45 or so, the thing would trip the breaker just as you describe. Once things were operating and the oil was warmer, she'd work fine.

CWS

Comment

If it has a pump that has a crankcase with oil in it, I would check the owner's manual for info on changing the oil and I would change it to either #10 non-detergent or whatever the manual suggests for low temperature operation. One other thing to try is leaving the drain valve(s) open during startup so as not to build up any tank pressure. After a few minutes of running (provided it keeps running) then close them and allow pressure to build up inside the tank(s).

Comment

The operator's manual specifies 5W-50 synthetic oil in the crankcase. Having the same problem (tripping the cb when cold) with mine, I switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic and all is well now. In our shop we routinely see these compressors that the circuit breaker has finally failed due to the repeated tripping caused by cold weather issues. The circuit breaker is a warranty issue, but when you get it back from the shop change the oil to a name-brand 5W-20 or 5W-30 synthetic.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
        X