X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing Tools From Thieves?

Didn't know exactly where to put this but I was wondering what some do to secure their tools?

Locks?
    Alarms?
    Lo-jack?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Securing Tools From Thieves?

I have the best one ever invented; have your truck so trashed that there's no possible way they are going to spend 5 hours putting drills back in boxes, fittings in bins, unhooking the 30 things that are strapped,stuck/hanging, glued to the drain cleaning equipment, along with possibly getting injured in the process.

Now if they clean my truck up, they can have a few things.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Utility bed has locks on doors and an extra lock which locks all doors plus plungers which are connected to the alarm.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I think your level of security has to surpass the ability of the thief you are facing. Most crack heads and common thieves may have a hammer, or bolt cutters. I've had the locking bar that goes through four utility doors in a row, cut through rendering the lock useless. Some better equipped thieves carry cordless cutoff tools to cut off locks. I agree that a combination of strong locks and an alarm will go a long way, but remember they "Must" be used! I've seen locks dangling in the open position while guys drive to their next job. If you are going to secure large machines and tools and currently use chain, consider braided steel rope. 9/16 braided steel rope with finished eyes is pliable enough to use like chain, but it much more difficut to cut with bolt cutters or cutoff tools.

Comment

Ever seen it?

http://www.dewaltmobilelock.com/main.asp

J.C.

Comment

I like the way my cab is set up; keyless entry with only one keyed lock on all 4 doors. Black tinted windows as well. Of course a smash and grab will proof that a useless setup but at least it makes it hard for wandering eyes.

My next truck, if I can afford the design is going to be solenoid action locks on the doors, all of them regarding the utility bed.

Somehow wire them up where it slot bolts into the frame of the box, only simple handles where no one can pry bar into them. Set it up on my remote start keychain for lock/unlock...I can be walking into the customer's home and point and click, lock both the cab doors down as well as all doors into the utility bed. One button one click, totally secure.

No keyed entry to jimmy into but I'd be the first to incorporate a "what if" scenario if the electrical system failed and had my box completely locked down. Walked that walk before and it isn't pretty.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Didn't know exactly where to put this but I was wondering what some do to secure their tools?

Locks?
              Alarms?
              Lo-jack?

Thanks.

J.C.
              Three words: Rem, ing, ton.

Comment

Seriously though, for the small general contracting stuff that I do, I rarely have more than $2000 of tools on hand. That's still enough to lose though. I have an '05 Toyota Tacoma, and on my truck box I have one of those hard fibreglass tonneau covers. It's nice in that you can't see as to what's inside, the tonneau cover on the box acts just like a giant trunk, and it's easily removable in 5 minutes with two people if I need to take it off for lugging around big stuff. The handle for it has a keyed lock to it. I generally don't leave stuff in there - it's usually either at home in the garage locked up, or in transport to a site in the truck.

I have been looking at getting an accessory to my truck's security system. Basically, I was looking at getting an additional pressure switch to wire into the truck box. That way, if the tonneau cover was cracked and opened when I had it all locked and the truck's security system was armed (automatic with the door locks with the keyless entry remote), then this pressure switch would also trigger the alarm. And with that, there's also a small alarm accessory available (Viper Alarms makes them, I think) where if your alarm goes off, it automatically and immediately sends a text message alert to your cell phone or pager or any number that you program it with. A neat little addition.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  I have heard/seen those before. A very neat idea - it would definitely come in handy if you have larger, more expensive equipment, like a Bobcat or stuff like that. If you have a work-only dedicated-purpose vehicle (work truck, equipment van, etc.), it would definitely be an asset.

Everything that I've heard about those mobile locks have been hugely positive.

Comment

Working...
                  X