X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP1550 Drill Press Questions

I just put together my first drill press, a Ridgid DP1550, and have a couple of questions.

- How is the table supposed to swing side to side? With the table higher up, attempts to move it to the side simply twist the rack on the side of the pole, since it binds at the bottom where it rests. Since the end of the rack is pressing down on the base bottom edge with all the table weight, it is no surprise it is binding.

- Just a question out of curiosity. The manual cautions against over tightening the collar for the opt part of the rack, as it may damage the collar or pole. My friend tightened this screw pretty firmly (fiddling w/table swing). Hoping we did not damage anything, but a tight steel screw against a steel pole damages it how...?

- The Allen screw in the base is just to tighten the pole in the base I presume?

Thank you.

- Phil
    Last edited by Phil3; 01-11-2010, 02:29 PM.

Re: DP1550 Drill Press Questions

Originally posted by Phil3 View Post
    - How is the table supposed to swing side to side? With the table higher up, attempts to move it to the side simply twist the rack on the side of the pole, since it binds at the bottom where it rests. Since the end of the rack is pressing down on the base bottom edge with all the table weight, it is no surprise it is binding.
    Loosen up the top collar and it will swing as it should. (Step 8 in the manual under "Assembling the Base/Column").

I
    - Just a question out of curiosity. The manual cautions against over tightening the collar for the opt part of the rack, as it may damage the collar or pole. My friend tightened this screw pretty firmly (fiddling w/table swing). Hoping we did not damage anything, but a tight steel screw against a steel pole damages it how...?
    It will dig into the steel pole and leave a place where the collar will not easily slide for future adjustments, or it can warp the collar. (not really that big of a deal)

- The Allen screw in the base is just to tighten the pole in the base I presume?
    You are correct.

Use blue loctite on everything and wax the table and pole with a paste wax... you'll be happier in the long run.

Comment

I agree with Ace's answers, with the exception of moving the table from side to side, without breaking the gear rack.

On my 1550, you have to take care when moving/rotating the table around the column. Obviously if the table is in an upper position on the column, it will have a tendency to pull only the upper part of the gear rack; and, if the table sets low, it will tend to only move that part of the rack.

You really need to bend down and physically/manually slide the gear rack where it tucks into the lower column support. It moves easily, that way... but it will not rotate around the column by just forcing it from one position or by moving the table alone.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        I agree with Ace's answers, with the exception of moving the table from side to side, without breaking the gear rack.

On my 1550, you have to take care when moving/rotating the table around the column. Obviously if the table is in an upper position on the column, it will have a tendency to pull only the upper part of the gear rack; and, if the table sets low, it will tend to only move that part of the rack.

You really need to bend down and physically/manually slide the gear rack where it tucks into the lower column support. It moves easily, that way... but it will not rotate around the column by just forcing it from one position or by moving the table alone.

CWS

I just ran out to the shop and checked to be sure... Mine glides from side to side with little to no binding at all. Maybe mine is special in some way, but I believe it is all in the adjustment of the collar. If it binds too much after adjusting, try a small amount of grease in the channel on the column base (to clarify- mine has no grease).

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The collar is positioned so that the rack has ample clearance and will not bind at the top (collar end). Attempts to swing the table meet with no resistance at the top of the rack (collar), but the bottom part of the rack stays put. After looking at the arrangement, I more surprised that anyone has success with the relatively flimsy, long rack (bearing a fair amount of weight), sliding along the base edge with torque (table rotation) applied some three feet away. Perhaps some burrs or lack of lubrication are causing the binding.

The collar set screw was tightened enough to leave some marks in the pole, but nothing that prevents collar movement or distortion of the collar.

I will apply Blue Loctite. I applied some anti-rust stuff for firearms to the table. I then applied Johnson's paste wax to the table and pole. I may use the gun stuff on the pole as well, but waxed it, hoping the rack would slide a bit easier. But, it seems all the binding is at the bottom, weight bearing end.

- Phil

Comment

Working...
          X