Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New tools?

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
    I agree the 24V line would have more success now than it did three years ago.
    I agree too. Both lines were still too "new" at HD, and the DIY's and the contractors were kinda stymied.

24 Volt coming out now would have rocked and been looked at as an awesome "next generation step". The line would have survived.

Someone should come out with a 25 volt line - whether it's possible or not, just think of the "Quarter/25 percent/etc." taglines you could use to market it.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
      A flashlight fetish, that is funny. You are not alone. Once thought to be a "filler" tool the flashlight is actually a very talked about piece of the kit now. I sure get a lot of use out of them.

Keith, thanks for the feedback and sorry for any misunderstanding about Christmas. I knew it wasn't going to be much on the RIDGID power tool side. Launches start in March and then there is a nice little stream through the fall. Sorry if I gave you any wrong impressions while here. I still can't believe the nailer discussion died like that. I'll try again to reignite.

I agree the 24V line would have more success now than it did three years ago. It is a nice augment to a line but just didn't work out when put most of our LI eggs in that basket. Hope you have a good experience with the V28 kit. Please give RIDGID another try if we come out with a tool that makes sense for you.
      proband, we would like to see RIDGID support its 18 volt and 12 volt line the way Milwaukee does, with a vengeance! There are 20 plus tools for their 12 volt line plus enhanced bats, dual voltage chargers for both lines, cell phone and ipod chargers etc... not to mention the 18 volt tools we (RIDGID)dont have, or the battery meters. I love the battery meter on my 24 volt stuff. Maybe put the meter on the tool?

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
        proband, we would like to see RIDGID support its 18 volt and 12 volt line the way Milwaukee does, with a vengeance! There are 20 plus tools for their 12 volt line plus enhanced bats, dual voltage chargers for both lines, cell phone and ipod chargers etc... not to mention the 18 volt tools we (RIDGID)dont have, or the battery meters. I love the battery meter on my 24 volt stuff. Maybe put the meter on the tool?
        I think Probrand has been very clear and upfront that matching tool for tool is not what Ridgid is about. Now with construction slowing down and consumer spending also low, I doubt they wil be introducing new tools, at least the ones we are looking for.Just have to take the plunge and buy another kit, but this time from a manufacturer who has a wide variety from which to pick and choose. I still think my five piece nicad set by Ridgid is great. I would have added the cutoff tool and 1/2" heavy duty impact long ago if Ridgid made them. No big deal, the tools I have work and if I really need to expand, it's a simple move .

Comment

I also have given up on the Ridgid Battery tools, and bought the Milwaukee V28 kit about two years ago. I then got into the Milwaukee M12 stuff which I really like. I checked Milwaukee's site often just looking for new tools. On a side note, one of my M12 batteries went bad after 16 months. I took it to the dealer whom I did not buy it from and he gave me a new one two days later. No receipt, no bs, no dumb forms, here is your new battery. Another guys M12 drill went out. 5 days later they just gave him a whole new kit.

Now, I would forsake all my Milwaukee stuff if someone in the United States of America would make battery powered tools. American tools, American batteries.

If Ridgid wanted a huge edge it would take their good name, and make power tools built by Americans, for Americans, and market the hell out of it. It would almost be shameful not to buy it. I would also like to note that I have never had a problem with Ridgid's Warranty out of the Ohio plant.

Ryobi is starting to get scary popular. They have some neat battery operated tools out there right now. I almost bought the motion detector but the battery life was too short, package said two weeks so that really means about one week real world.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            I think Probrand has been very clear and upfront that matching tool for tool is not what Ridgid is about. Now with construction slowing down and consumer spending also low, I doubt they wil be introducing new tools, at least the ones we are looking for.Just have to take the plunge and buy another kit, but this time from a manufacturer who has a wide variety from which to pick and choose. I still think my five piece nicad set by Ridgid is great. I would have added the cutoff tool and 1/2" heavy duty impact long ago if Ridgid made them. No big deal, the tools I have work and if I really need to expand, it's a simple move .
            Im not saying matching tool for tool, but come on, its 21 to 4 on the 12 volt tools! And Milwaukee sells their tools separately! Lets just take baby steps and pass those few hurdles. Or since RIDGID loves combos, lets solve a combo of lacking problems.
            My rant is over, when the new tools come out I will be in the honey moon period again!

Comment

but milwaukees 5 yr is real good. I upgrade before 5 years anyway! Those 28 v bats powerful?
              You obviously didn't read the terms of 5 year "warranty".

*Every MILWAUKEE V™-technology LITHIUM-ION Battery Pack and XC LITHIUM-ION Battery Pack is warranted for five (5) years / 2000 charges from the date of purchase, whichever first occurs. The first 1000 charges or 2 years of the warranty, whichever first occurs, are covered through free replacement of the defective battery. This means that for the earlier of the first 1000 charges or two (2) years from the date of purchase/first charge, a replacement battery will be provided to the customer for any defective battery free of charge. Thereafter, the remaining charges up to a total of 2000 or the remainder of the five (5) year period from the date of purchase, whichever first occurs, will be covered on a pro rata basis. This means that every customer gets an additional 1000 charges or three (3) years of pro rata warranty on the V™-technology LITHIUM-ION Battery Pack and XC LITHIUM-ION Battery Pack depending upon the amount of use.
              That means that after 2 years/1000 cycles they will sell you a new battery, based on remaining cycle life. So if you *magically* manage to squeeze out 1500 charges, they will sell you a new battery at 50% of list price. Have you seen the list price? It's $300 or so.

This is a manufacturer spec sheet for the battery http://www.molicel.com/ca/pdf/IMR26700.pdf

Look at cycle life diagram - 33% capacity loss after ~350 cycles. Means after 1000 cycles your battery will have the capacity of a wristwatch battery. The warranty does not cover capacity loss as this is normal wear and tear, so good luck getting a replacement on a weak battery.

What you are effectively getting is a battery that only has 600 or less effective cycles (which is not that bad) and a half-arsed 2 year/1000 cycle warranty. Makita and Dewalt have no cycle limitations, and warranty is 3 years, just FYI.

You guys flock to these product lines like kids to a pedophile in the icecream truck. Do your research. I'm not saying "don't buy it", I'm saying don't buy it based on false information.

Runtime on V28 is about the same as Dewalt 36v (28v * 3Ah ~= 36v*2.3Ah total battery energy).

Here's some good news: Milwaukee has high self-discharge rate. Drain the battery in an incand flashlight, then let it sit for 3 weeks discharged - voila - dead battery. Then go get a replacement.
              Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 01-18-2010, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post

That means that after 2 years/1000 cycles they will sell you a new battery, based on remaining cycle life. So if you *magically* manage to squeeze out 1500 charges, they will sell you a new battery at 50% of list price. Have you seen the list price? It's $300 or so.

This is a manufacturer spec sheet for the battery http://www.molicel.com/ca/pdf/IMR26700.pdf

Look at cycle life diagram - 33% capacity loss after ~350 cycles. Means after 1000 cycles your battery will have the capacity of a wristwatch battery. The warranty does not cover capacity loss as this is normal wear and tear, so good luck getting a replacement on a weak battery.

What you are effectively getting is a battery that only has 600 or less effective cycles (which is not that bad) and a half-arsed 2 year/1000 cycle warranty. Makita and Dewalt have no cycle limitations, and warranty is 3 years, just FYI.

You guys flock to these product lines like kids to a pedophile in the icecream truck. Do your research. I'm not saying "don't buy it", I'm saying don't buy it based on false information.

Runtime on V28 is about the same as Dewalt 36v (28v * 3Ah ~= 36v*2.3Ah total battery energy).

Here's some good news: Milwaukee has high self-discharge rate. Drain the battery in an incand flashlight, then let it sit for 3 weeks discharged - voila - dead battery. Then go get a replacement.
                Some do. I'd like to think I don't. I read the majority if not all of your posts related to battery tools along with many other opinions and reviews. Then try to make the best decision for myself.

Thanks for the battery info.

J.C.

Comment

Was more thinking of the warranty for the tools, but i guess no battery no tool! Dewalt is great stuff. Makes me alot of money. You seem to reference pedophiles alot.

Comment

You seem to reference pedophiles alot.
                    Does that make you worried?

Comment

Does that make you worried?
                      naw, im just sayin'

Comment

So, got a thread started with stuff coming out from the International Builders Show in Las Vegas. Some cool stuff coming about it seems like. The thread is here:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30604

Comment

Decided to buy into the M12 line with the $79 deal on the drill/radio combo. The clunky Ridgid 12v drill with a cheap plastic sleeve chuck that wobbles like all my cordless Ridgid drills was never an option. Ridgid again is dragging their feet , in introducing tools on the 12v line while Milwaukee is taking off. The Milwaukee has a precision all metal chuck, and superior design.
                          I figure Ridgid has a specific product run, and no more. They will package various combo kits until the sell out the line then intro another line ,similar tools again, and do the same all over. You wind up with many duplicate drills in order to get the LSA on batteries, b/c almost every kit has another drill. They do not expand their line up except in the failed maxselect which was a poorly managed program and was also incomplete, no grinder, drywall tool,1/2" impact, SDS drill, RA drill... This is a DIY tool design.
                          I am done doing this, I am not buying any more Ridgid cordless as they will never complete any lineup. Even with a possible new designs you have to keep buying more combo kits with duplicate tools to get 1 new design.
                          In order to have the batteries evaluated you to ship entire kits to service centers to have replacement batteries supplied. I just wait until I have enough to make it worth it to drive there and just use my other tools. I never have done this with Makita, DW, Bosch, Milwaukee. Just the battery and sometimes the charger. I understand that the tools can cause problems, but if the battery fails on multiple others, as you have many other drills and chargers to try from buying all those kits, [LOL] you can know it is the battery.

On a positive note, the corded RA drill, 3 speed is excellent. Used it to mix mortar and concrete mix and it is very powerful and has a smooth gearbox, great chuck. Has a safety clutch . Only criticisms are is the upper handle is too short to fully grip, and it is not VS, on off switch , 3sp. but again,that too is discontinued.

Comment

So.......this looks interesting...

Ridgid expanding the 12 volt lineup?

Click image for larger version

Name:	98eee7667e248694d2b947d7b97e1e2d.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	9644

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              So.......this looks interesting...

Ridgid expanding the 12 volt lineup?

Click image for larger version

Name:	98eee7667e248694d2b947d7b97e1e2d.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	9644
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC-GAzAeIg8

J.C.

Comment

Looks like Ridgid is putting their eggs in this "JobMax" basket and abandoning any legitimate useful cordless tools. I'm sure they will sell a bunch of these heavily advertised eye catching tools, but the folks who need and use the common drills and saws will be turning to Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosch and so on for their serious cordless needs. Ridgid must have done their homework and figured it makes more sense to market quirky little tools than try and compete with the big boys. I wish them success.

Comment

Working...
                                X