Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New tools?

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    Looks like Ridgid is putting their eggs in this "JobMax" basket and abandoning any legitimate useful cordless tools. I'm sure they will sell a bunch of these heavily advertised eye catching tools, but the folks who need and use the common drills and saws will be turning to Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosch and so on for their serious cordless needs. Ridgid must have done their homework and figured it makes more sense to market quirky little tools than try and compete with the big boys. I wish them success.
    Yeah, but the JobMax is a great looking lineup. What's the projected price point?

Comment

Guess I should expect a hard time whether I do or don't post new tools as early as possible ;-)

The price ranges on JobMax are all over the board depending on if you buy an individual attachement or the tool base with battery and charger. All in the realm of what you'd expect I imagine. I don't know where the finals shook out so don't want to post bad info.

Frankie, we are actually adding to and updating a lot of what I'd consider the "core" line this year both on the AC and DC sides. Hope you'll like them.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
        Guess I should expect a hard time whether I do or don't post new tools as early as possible ;-)

The price ranges on JobMax are all over the board depending on if you buy an individual attachement or the tool base with battery and charger. All in the realm of what you'd expect I imagine. I don't know where the finals shook out so don't want to post bad info.

Frankie, we are actually adding to and updating a lot of what I'd consider the "core" line this year both on the AC and DC sides. Hope you'll like them.
        Hey Wyatt. Thanks.

Two clarifying questions for you, senor. First, you state "all over the board depending on if you buy an individual attachement or the tool base with battery and charger". Do you have any additional info on how the packaging will be with this? In the IBS thread in the "News" area of the Forum, there's a bunch of links to different outside media sources - some say a full kit, others say just a basic few coupled with the current 3/8" chuck micro drill/driver. Can you layer out the details a bit as to the various attachments, and what will be available kit-wise?

Secondly, what are you considering the "core line"? I see that you said AC and DC, but are you talking the 18 volt lineup? If so, are they going to be solo tools (ala MaxSelect, where you could buy the naked tool for a hundred bucks or so, and add it to your existing stuff), or are they going to primarily going to be in "revisions" and new kits, as we've unfortunately been seeing during the past year or two? I for one would love to see certain items (smaller MaxSelect radio, 18 volt one-handed recip saw, new lights, etc.) available separately also, not just as part of a giant kit, when many of us already have a solid base to work with.

Any additional info is greatly appreciated. You know we're gluttons for info!!!

Comment

Okay!!!! O-K-A-Y!!!!

Everyone place your bets! PLACE YOUR BETS, ladies and gentlemen!!!!!

Vegas is setting the odds as we speak!

Today, for your wagering pleasure, we're offering the following high-risk wager....
          WILL FRANKIE GET THE 1/2" IMPACT WRENCH THAT HE'S BEEN SO IMPATIENTLY WAITING FOR?!?!!?!!!!?!?
          Do you feel lucky? Punk?

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
            Okay!!!! O-K-A-Y!!!!

Everyone place your bets! PLACE YOUR BETS, ladies and gentlemen!!!!!

Vegas is setting the odds as we speak!

Today, for your wagering pleasure, we're offering the following high-risk wager....
            WILL FRANKIE GET THE 1/2" IMPACT WRENCH THAT HE'S BEEN SO IMPATIENTLY WAITING FOR?!?!!?!!!!?!?
            Do you feel lucky? Punk?
            Wyatt has teased me before, but if he's serious I hope it happens soon. I'm not getting any younger! I can see it now, The new Ridgid 18volt 1/2inch heavy duty impact wrench! OVer 300ftlbs of torque. Unfortunately it is only sold as part of a five piece kit at over $600.00. Back to the drawing board.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Wyatt has teased me before, but if he's serious I hope it happens soon. I'm not getting any younger! I can see it now, The new Ridgid 18volt 1/2inch heavy duty impact wrench! OVer 300ftlbs of torque. Unfortunately it is only sold as part of a five piece kit at over $600.00. Back to the drawing board.
              LOL. I think, if you're very LUCKY Frankie, that they MIGHT come out with one that's a corded/AC one. If they did come out with one at all, I'd be surprised if it ended up being a cordless. But, just keep your fingers crossed and hold your breath just a little bit longer!

Comment

Always fun talking with you guys.

What I know so far...

First 12v kits will be some promo combos to get people started. Individual tools to come...

We also had a gen 2 radio on display. I like the improvements.

Improvements to the core I spoke of will be a mix of individual tools and then some new combo kits. I'm afraid the bare tool model is not making a comeback.

Frankie, I don't even want to tease and watch the letdown again. Another round of launches, another 18v impact wrench conspicuously absent.

Comment

Always fun talking with you guys.

What I know so far...

First 12v kits will be some promo combos to get people started. Individual tools to come...

We also had a gen 2 radio on display. I like the improvements.

Improvements to the core I spoke of will be a mix of individual tools and then some new combo kits. I'm afraid the bare tool model is not making a comeback.

Frankie, I don't even want to tease and watch the letdown again. Another round of launches, another 18v impact wrench conspicuously absent.
                  Thanks Wyatt. Much appreciated.

I just may have to bring you some treats again next time we meet!

I like the idea of a radio 2.0 - just have to wait and see what the improvements are then.

Is everything looking about mid/late March, or fairly staggered throughout the year from March on? I'm presuming the latter.

Comment

Wyatt, I really do wish you folks luck in this economy. Personally, I could use the tool I mentioned and maybe some others, not another radio. I imagine this next radio won't have a charger either, am I right? No matter. Have you been reading all the complaints regarding the lithium batteries, and getting service? You folks are getting some bad publicity and in my opinion a little good faith could go a long way. Maybe look into some of these situations? Take care and good luck. Frank

Comment

While the economy still has plenty of issues, we all hope we are on the back side of this thing. You are right on the radio, that limiting patent is still in effect. However, you still have to update the tool line and I think the engineers did a nice job. I think the same on the work they are doing on the existing tools and the new ideas. Launches start in March (well, actually kind of now looking at the new grinder and the sander upgrades) and go through the year.

I absolutely read the complaints. Every time there is a relevant issue (including batteries and service centers) I make sure it gets to the appropriate product or service manager. Service centers have been removed based on experiences discovered on the forum. I am also getting regular reports on the batteries. I take each comment seriously and appreciate the time everyone takes to post them.

Comment

While the economy still has plenty of issues, we all hope we are on the back side of this thing. You are right on the radio, that limiting patent is still in effect. However, you still have to update the tool line and I think the engineers did a nice job. I think the same on the work they are doing on the existing tools and the new ideas. Launches start in March (well, actually kind of now looking at the new grinder and the sander upgrades) and go through the year.

I absolutely read the complaints. Every time there is a relevant issue (including batteries and service centers) I make sure it gets to the appropriate product or service manager. Service centers have been removed based on experiences discovered on the forum. I am also getting regular reports on the batteries. I take each comment seriously and appreciate the time everyone takes to post them.
                        Good call, Wyatt, thanks.

On a bit of a side note, but related, I have a request/suggestion...

Would it be possible at all to start a "sticky" thread, or something like that, maybe in the "Portable Power Tools" area of the Forum, to start a thread regarding the release of new tools? I think this forum is a great communication and marketing avenue, but it would be nice to have a sticky thread devoted to releases from you guys about new power tools coming out. I know that the forum now has the Facebook and MySpace and Twitter areas - but those are all things that it seems like no one really uses (Twitter is just ridiculous, in my opinion).

It would be nice to have a devoted thread to releases from you guys about new tools, similar to what Josh has done with the SeeSnake stuff. That way, you could maybe link us over to the applicable product page as soon as it becomes available. I know it's been a frustration on here that we see a tool show up in HD for weeks and months, and yet no product description page on here, or even on HD's own website. The details would have to be available prior to the product release in the stores - someone would have to know them, due to them being on the product packaging in the first place, and the 4 or 6 weeks it takes for the product to be shipped over from China, etc. I know it's hard to pin down a release date sometimes - a new tool launch isn't as coordinated I believe as a new car launch, for example. But, that's fine - we don't need an exact date ("Available Summer 2010" or something like that could even be great). But what we do need and want is to know about the product, to know the performance specs of it, before we buy it. It would help out a lot of people for their purchasing decisions.

And a sticky would just help rather than have the plethora of threads on here for each and every new tool launch. Also, how many threads have been started by people (me included) when we see a product come out in the stores, and we're asking Ridgid for more info on it because we don't see a product page on it, and we don't get further details or see a page for weeks or more?

I'm not sure how it would work best for Josh and you guys - if not a sticky, then maybe an area of the Forum for "New Product Launches" (it could be in the "Portable Power Tools" area, where it's a whole new category).

Just some thoughts.

Comment

lots of emotional and informative posts here! HMMM, thread of the week? Im just say'n.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                            lots of emotional and informative posts here! HMMM, thread of the week? Im just say'n.
                            Call me a people pleaser, you got it!

Comment

Ehhh, sure, why not - another blatent request for a nod. Hmmm, who does that remind me of?!

Comment

Just to close the loop on this one, what you suggest as a sticky is exactly what RIDGID Central is supposed to be. Just so happens that Josh is the one that is really running with it. Ideally, any new product (power tool, locator, hand tool) would have a sticky spot in that area. I'll try and rev it back up.

Thanks for the conversation here. Talk to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X