X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid router R29302

Is this router kit bany different from the R2930? I know it says the rating is different i.e 2 HP -v- 2-1/4HP, but is there any REAL difference?
    Why would Ridgid replace the 2-1/4HP version with a lower power unit anyway?
    Anybody got any inside information?

Re: Ridgid router R29302

I don't have any specific knowledge of those routers - but in general (not just tools) it's not worthwhile to get hung up on horsepower ratings. THere are many ways to rate horsepower and marketing departments will try to inflate the number as much as possible.

A better (although not perfect) spec to compare is the continuous amp ratings. Most routers from the major manufacturers publish these numbers.

Comment

Ridgid's website claims the R2930 to be 12 amps, and the R29302 to be 11 amps. That's not a significant difference in power. Check the website for feature differences.

Comment

I have the 2900 combo and have yet to see this newer model. From the pictures and the specifications provided I can see only one possible difference... but the write up has several errors and so I'm not sure whether the mentioned 1/4-inch collet "insert" is an error or not.

The original router came with both 1/2-inch and a 1/4-inch collect/nut assemblies. It the new model only has a 1/4-inch "insert" then that would be a difference, other than the motor amp/HP rating differences that are mentioned. (With a complete collet assembly, there is the collet and the attached nut... to change, you'd unscrew one, remove it, and then screw on the other. With an "insert", you simply have a 1/2-inch collet/nut assembly that you leave on and insert the 1/4-inch adapter into it.)

But until I see one, I'm only guessing. Someone needs to clean up the descriptive copy on the product's web page.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          I have the 2900 combo and have yet to see this newer model. From the pictures and the specifications provided I can see only one possible difference... but the write up has several errors and so I'm not sure whether the mentioned 1/4-inch collet "insert" is an error or not.

The original router came with both 1/2-inch and a 1/4-inch collect/nut assemblies. It the new model only has a 1/4-inch "insert" then that would be a difference, other than the motor amp/HP rating differences that are mentioned. (With a complete collet assembly, there is the collet and the attached nut... to change, you'd unscrew one, remove it, and then screw on the other. With an "insert", you simply have a 1/2-inch collet/nut assembly that you leave on and insert the 1/4-inch adapter into it.)

But until I see one, I'm only guessing. Someone needs to clean up the descriptive copy on the product's web page.

CWS
          on the new router the spindle lock has a thumb sized button as opposed to the smaller button that leaves a divit in your thumb!

Comment

So i am looking to get one of these routers, which one do i want to get and why cant i find it on the HD website?

Comment

Josh,

Here: http://ridgid.com/Tools/Corded-Routers/EN/index.htm

You may not be able to find the older 2930 model, as the new 29302 has been out for at least the last several months.

I took a closer look at one the other day and noticed that the 29302 has a redesigned base which allows better a better view of the cutting area.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I wondered what was happening with HD not having a large ridgid router of any kind.

Amazon has the 2 1/4HP model for $291. Guess that's the best price out there.

Thinking about the Triton instead though...

Comment

Tacman,

The R2930 only sold for $199... the Amazon price is a ripoff, IMHO. Likewise the newer replacement model (29302?) is also priced at $199.

You should also be aware that Home Depot is the exclusive retailer for Ridgid power tools and as such is the only place that sells them with the warranty and the opportunity to register for the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. To get warranty service or register for the LLSA, you do need to show/provide a copy of the receipt. It is my understanding, that if the receipt is NOT from Home Depot, then either the tool was gotten from non-authorized sources or the tool has been previously purchased and you would then be the second owner. Warranty and LLSA are issued only to the original purchaser, even if the tool is NIB and unused.

As far as Amazon is concerned, I've never been a fan. Just too much of a question as to the source of the product. Also, I have noticed that while there are some good prices, all prices are not necessarily bargains and some are way overpriced. A case in point, was a recent birthday present I bought for my youngest grandson. Saw the product on the manufacturer's web site for a MSRP of $50. At the local Toys-R-Us, the price was $60. I thought that was a rip, until I went on Amazon and found the cheapest price there was $85. I ended up buying it at Toys-R-Us!

So, be aware... the latest Ridgid router combo can be purchased at your local Home Depot for $199, not $291 as you say Amazon wants.

CWS

Comment

I haven't been able to find it at HD or HDwebsite, it's on the ridgid site but not at HD.

May be they can special order it?

Thanks

Comment

Tacman (and everyone),

I was visiting the local Corning-area Home Depot earlier this afternoon and thought it might be beneficial to someone if I could get the SKU# and component model data:

R29302 U.S. SKU# 594-249 Canada SKU# 663-450

The combo consists of the 29001 Motor Assembly, R29201 Plunge Base, and the R2910 Fixed Base

U.S. price is $199.00 (maybe there was change... but don't remember.)

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I emailed customer service about HD last week:

Re: R29302 Router

"Do you have any suggestions as to where I could obtain the above product? A search on your "where to buy" link lists dozens of Home Depot stores, but this item is no longer listed in their online catalog.

The only Ridgid router HD now appears to carry is your R2401 trim router"

This is the response:

"The only available router will be the one Home Depot has in stock. "

I'm not 100% sure of what to make of that answer, but it appears that the only (non-authorized?) source for this router then is Amazon - at least that's the only one I could find.

I'm a little disappointed. I bought a Ridgid drill that was the sixth drill I bought from a string of manufacturers over the course of about 7 years. That was about 5 years ago. I'm so happy with that purchase that I vowed all my power tool purchases would be Ridgid in the future.

My old Craftsman router is now dead and this Ridgid router looked like just the ticket to replace it. But as much as I like them, it would be silly to purchase without a warranty - this isn't a $25 tool after all.

Comment

It's amazing that some people manage to hold a job with such idiotic responses for assistance! It may not be listed on the website, but it should definitely be in the stores, the product is not that old.

My local Corning-area (NY State) store is usually well behind in their stocking and displaying of new or newly updated tools... and they have had the new R29302 for several months now. The store in the Binghamton area also has it in stock and on display. Have you tried any other Home Depot stores in your area of the state?

Please note the SKU# that I posted my earlier response. Using that number, you should be able to contact any Home Depot or the Home Depot HQ office in Atlanta and they should be able to help you get the tool. My suggestion would be to ask one of the service desk personnel to look up the status SKU#594-249 for you. You could of course also contact Ridgid Customer Support. Unless the product has been cancelled for some reason, it should be widely available.

Sorry you're having difficulty, but I hope the SKU# info is helpful,

CWS

Comment

I was router shopping and found this router at my local HD. After comparing the play in the plunge I bought a Bosch for $100 more. The play on the Ridgid was quite a bit.

RC

Comment

Originally posted by joshuashu View Post
                              So i am looking to get one of these routers, which one do i want to get and why cant i find it on the HD website?
                              It IS on the Home Depot web site, the Canadian Home Depot. It lists for $199 CDN.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Brad

Comment

Working...
                              X