Yet Another - Why Did I Wait So Long Story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another - Why Did I Wait So Long Story

I have always been basically pretty happy with my Porter Cable 690 Series Router. However, one aspect of it that I really hated was the position of the on/off switch. I have small hands so whenever I needed to turn the router on or off I had to release one hand off one of the knobs. I always felt that this was kind of unsafe especially with the little jerk the router would give at start up.

I finally broke down and bought a D-Handle base for the router. The difference in operation is pretty significant IMO. I find that I have much better control of the router with this base and the jerky motion at start up is totally eliminated. Unless I need to use the plunge base that also came with this router for some particular application I doubt if the D-Handle base will ever be separated from the motor again.

For hand held routing jobs, again IMO, a D-Handle can't be beat. If you have a router that has a D-Handle base available for it I highly recommend looking into getting one.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Re: Yet Another - Why Did I Wait So Long Story

Good thoughts and observations. Thanks Dave. I'm sure others will appreciate the suggestion.

I myself have bear claws, so I'm good to go.

Comment

Dave, just got a PC 690 a couple of days ago. Where did you get the D handle?

Thanks, Big G

Comment

Big G, I bought mine from an individual but here's a listing of a few places that sell them. You might want to try a "Want To Buy" listing on craigslist.
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I have 5 routers (looking for #6 right now) all set up for different applications. I find that for furniture and other critical work I prefer the 690 with two knobs over the d-handle. I feel that having both hands on the machine real close to the body gives more precise control. But again, it's all in what you're comfortable with.

Comment

Dave, what did you do with the cord? Doesn't the D-handle router have a switch on the handle and the router motor that comes with the handle have a short cord? Maybe I am thinking of another make router. I have a pair of 690s and I often wondered if the D-handle would be worth the money.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Bob, for the time being at least, I'm just using a Style B Cable Clamp to shorten up the motors cord. So far it's working out but eventually I'll more than likely just cut and shorten the existing motor cord. If I do that it would be no big deal to just hook up an extension cord whenever I need to use the plunge base. HTH.

Comment

Working...
              X