X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18v Intermittent

I have a Ridgid (R8411501) 1/2" 18v drill/hammer drill that has seen almost daily use for about five years. Lately, it is running only intermittently. Pull the trigger one time and it runs fine. Set it down to do something, pick it up and I get nothing. Tried rapping on it with my hand and lightly banging it on a hard surface but it would not come back to life. So I put it back in the truck and used a different tool.

It sat in the truck for several weeks until I grabbed it last night, pulled the trigger and it was off and running again. Same battery, same everything. I opened up the case to see if I had a loose wire or something, but it doesn't look like it.

How can I diagnose if I have a switch going bad, or a motor going bad. Hopefully it's a switch, but I'd rather not waste $40 trying to find out I have a bad motor.

Re: Ridgid 18v Intermittent

Open it up. Put a battery on. Volt meter on the motor wires coming out of the switch. Pull trigger slowly. Should have a voltage reading increasing as the trigger is pulled, with full battery voltage when it's pulled all the way in.

If you have voltage but no motor action, it's the motor.
    If you have no voltage, it's the switch or wiring (assuming the motor isn't locked up).
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

While I agree with Dr. Deere, my first suggestion would be that if you registered this drill for the LLSA, then don't worry yourself with the self diagnosis - bring it to a service center and have it looked at.

Sounds like your tool has a gremlin in it. Just don't get them wet.

Comment

Originally posted by gabchoud View Post
        I have a Ridgid (R8411501) 1/2" 18v drill/hammer drill that has seen almost daily use for about five years. Lately, it is running only intermittently. Pull the trigger one time and it runs fine. Set it down to do something, pick it up and I get nothing. Tried rapping on it with my hand and lightly banging it on a hard surface but it would not come back to life. So I put it back in the truck and used a different tool.

It sat in the truck for several weeks until I grabbed it last night, pulled the trigger and it was off and running again. Same battery, same everything. I opened up the case to see if I had a loose wire or something, but it doesn't look like it.

How can I diagnose if I have a switch going bad, or a motor going bad. Hopefully it's a switch, but I'd rather not waste $40 trying to find out I have a bad motor.
        I love it! You are a guy after my own heart. If it doesn't work....hit it against something a couple of times. But, you know what, if it hadn't worked a number of times in the past we wouldn't be trying it. I remember in particular a car radio that needed a couple of sharp raps every morning to get it fired up.
        Anyway, on to your problem. I'm guessing you have a bad trigger switch. This was a fairly common problem on all drills including Dewalt and Makita in about that era.
        So as Canuck suggested, if you registered for the LSA, simply take it to your nearest Ridgid service center.(skroll to the bottom og this page and follow the Ridge Tool Company thread for a listing of service centers)
        If you don't qualify for the LSA.......no worries mate. Simply purchase a new trigger switch from the Ridgid service center and install it yourself......Ray

Comment

After pulling the drill apart, and installing the battery, I have had no problems. Every pull of the trigger does what it's supposed to. I am still assuming that I have a bad (or going bad) trigger. I'll probably pick one up in the next couple of days and just swap it out so I don't have an issue when I really need it.

Thanks for all of the help.

Comment

You may have a stuck or worn brush also

Comment

Working...
            X