ridgid drills questions 14.4 vs 18 volt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid drills questions 14.4 vs 18 volt

why does my 14.4 drill have more power compared to my 18 volt?
    i always figured that 18 volts would mean more power and I see that is not the case.
    18 volt specs
    0-400 0-1500 rpm
    460 inch pounds of torque
    14.4 specs
    0-400 0-1600 rpm
    475 inch pounds of torque

I only purchased the 14.4 set because it was cheaper and easier to buy it then go looking for more batteries for my 14. impact driver. it only came with one battery. I managed to walk into HD in ottawa last summer and find the 14.4 with bag, charger and 2 batteries for under 80 buck before taxes. I have stopped using my 18 volt tools except for the 6 1/2 saw . The 2 drills and the hammer drill and the 18 volt impact driver are seldom ever used the 14.4 has more power and I know it is a bit heavier but power is the main concern for me. More power and speed means i am done sooner and get paid sooner.
    Is there going to be any more 14.4 volt tools come out? I would buy them in a heart beat
    Last edited by stuart_canada; 01-16-2010, 03:21 PM. Reason: hit wrong key

Re: ridgid drills questions 14.4 vs 18 volt

is there any other 14.4 volt tools in the ridgid line?
    all i can find are the drill and the impact driver. I would like to add to the tool line if there are anymore. one battery style and more power.

Comment

Originally posted by stuart_canada View Post
      is there any other 14.4 volt tools in the ridgid line?
      all i can find are the drill and the impact driver. I would like to add to the tool line if there are anymore. one battery style and more power.
      Stuart.....Hate to be the bearer of sad tidings. I don't believe there are any other 14.4V tools currently being offered. In fact I don't believe either the 14.4 drill or impact are current tools. A couple of years ago I got a couple of 14.4 impacts as a bonus when I purchased something else. Ridgid CS told me at the time that they were blowing out the 14.4's as they had been discontinued.
      I don't know which size 18V LI batts you are using, however I would suggest you take them to a Ridgid service center and have them tested. Our experience has been that the 14.4 impact tool is the best in the Ridgid line, however if You have the 3Ah 18V LI's the drill should be very close or better than the 14.4 drill. There has been some history of defective 18V LI batts, so it might be worth a shot. You might consider the 18V 2.5Ah Nicad batts as they are very strong performers and in some cases better than the 18V LI's. If you are doing some heavy drilling with a large bit sometimes the LI batt will heat up and it has an overload protection circuit which will shut it down, the 18V Nicad has no such circuit and it will many times keep on turning when the LI has shut off.
      Hope this has been helpful.....Ray

Comment

I agree with Ray, the 14.4 volt line was barely on the market with few offerings, that I'm aware of, when the 18-volt tools were introduced. The latter seemed to gain popularity with our usual "more power" zeal.

If you check here: http://ridgid.com/Tools/Revision-Archive/EN/index.htm
        you can see a number of tools that are no longer in the lineup, because of new, replacement models or because they were no longer a popular sales ite.

Here is a list of the 14.4 tools that I know of:

R82320 Impact Driver Kit
        R830153 1/2" Drill/Driver Kit
        R83001 2-speed, 3/8" Drill/Driver
        R83015 Drill/Driver

The was an R910 Combo which was introduce in 2005 (IIRC) and was clearanced in Oct., 2005. It consisted of the R83001 2-speed, 3/8" Drill/Driver and the R82320 Impact Driver. I bought this for less than either tool sold for separately.

These were great tools and I like the size and weight of the 14.4- in comparison to the 18-volt tools that I have handled. But I'm of the impression that the usual customer goes for the bigger voltage tools.

So, I think you are out of luck... sorry!

CWS

Comment

in the last company i worked for the installers were going for the smaller drills, the 14.4s over the 18 because of size and less weight. Mind you my 14.4 is heavier than my 18 volt . The kitchen and bathroom cabinet installers said the 14.4 and in some cases the 12 volt drills were all they needed to do the hanging. Oh well I have both 14.4 and the 18 volt nicad system and very happy with both.

Comment

One of the positive things about your power tool choice besides the LLSA is your charger charges 9.6V-12V-14.4-18V so no need for multiple chargers on the job

Comment

Working...
            X