Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Troubleshooting advice wanted - Ridgid RO just stopped working - any ideas?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting advice wanted - Ridgid RO just stopped working - any ideas?

After 1 year of moderate use, my Ridgid RO 5" sander just stopped about 3 minutes after turning it on. There were no bad smells or sounds from the motor or other telltale signs - it simply died. The cord seems fine - the plug lights up and changing the position has no effect. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? I'm hoping this is an easy fix!

Re: Troubleshooting advice wanted - Ridgid RO just stopped working - any ideas?

Pull out and check the brushes, not uncommon for them to bad, if they are still good it is more than likly in the power switch.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

How do I know if the brushes are bad?

Comment

Andrew,

It seems a bit premature for brushes, but agreeing with OSC, the brushes on this tool are equipped with a "stop" feature that prevents the armature from being scored should the brushes wear beyond their usefullness. In which case, they need to be replaced.

But, this early in the tool's life, it could be the power switch or a failure in the speed control circuit board. Whatever, the tool is still under the 3-year warranty or is under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, if you registered the tool.

As far as locating the brushes, look at your manual... I don't have my sander at hand, otherwise I'd direct you. But, I did check the support page and see that you have four authorized service centers within 15 miles. Here is a link: http://ridgid.com/MenuDriver.asp?Par...C+NJ&Radius=20

BTW, welcome to the forum!

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 01-17-2010, 06:56 PM.

Comment

To check the brushes, locate the really big plastic screws at the top of the tool they will be about 1/2" in dia. The caps will be either gray or black, once they are off these things with a spring with a bare wire going though the spring with a blackish carbon brush on the end, make sure the sring or the bare wire is not broken anywhere and that the brush is in good shape not cracked, worn out, losse, missing, ect. Remember there are two of these.

As cws said I dout this is the problem due to the age of the tool but this is the easiest thing for the customer to check, that is the main reason I sujest the brushes frist this time.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OK - thanks to you both. It looks like the brushes are fine.

Comment

Not the brushes then I would completly agree with cwsmith, either the switch or the veriable speed ciruit, I also agree with him for taking the sanded to a service center, and I really hope you regerstered the sander for the life time service agreement.

I to would like to take this time to welcome you to the forum.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
              X