X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid OF45150A Compressor Problems

The Emerson electric motor in my OF45150A compressor has had the front bearing fail.
    Not a big deal, I've replaced bearings in electrical motors many many times.
    What has me baffled is how to remove the part that couples the electrical motor and the rod of the pump.
    There's no set screw, nor does it appear to be threaded onto the electrical motor shaft.
    I'm guessing it's pressed onto the shaft of the electrical motor.
    I've tapped it a couple of times with a hammer but it doesn't budge easily, and I don't want to screw it up by hitting it harder.
    Is there a simple and easy way to get it off so that I can get to the bearing?

What really pisses me off is that I can buy a completely new replacement compressor at Amazon.Com for HALF of what Ridgid wants for JUST the replacement pump/motor combo.
    It would *REALLY*REALLY* send me into a flying fit if I have to throw this entire compressor away because of a stupid $2 bearing.

HELP!!!

Tom Crabtree
    tomc@frontieranalytical.com

Re: Ridgid OF45150A Compressor Problems

Tom,

I took a look at the parts illustration and unfortunately it shows the essentric/bearing assembly in place on the motor, so I can't see what's behind it. Obviously they don't break down that assembly and have thus made the presumption that it would last much longer than component service would require.

This is actually the second post I have seen on this subject, as there was another owner complaining about the same thing a few weeks ago. At this point you are no doubt beyond warranty and I'm pretty sure that there's no facility in place for you to order a sub-component of the motor assembly.

I would presume, that the particular piece you are talking about is pressed on. If so, about the only thing that I can think of would be to use a gear puller in an effort to remove it. You may have to heat it, being careful of further damaging the motor.

Unless the motor plate says different, I doubt that this is an Emerson-brand motor. If I understand correctly, these units are made in China by TTI, under license to use the Ridgid brand name. Ridgid Technical Support may be able to provide you some additional information and/or advice, but since you've done your own motor bearing replacements in the past, you're probably more knowledgeable than a phone technician might be.

The only other advice I can suggest is a local compressor or motor repair company, as I'm sure they must run into all kinds of similar couplings.

Unfortunately, we live in an age when very few people know how to do these kind of repairs and/or would spend the time to do so. Along with that goes the manufacturer's who look at their equipment as "throw-aways" and do not provide either service information or parts of sub-assemblies.

CWS

Comment

I can take a pic of the offending part and post it up if you think it'll help in this matter.
      It is an Emerson motor, as identified by the plate on the motor itself.

It does not make sense to me that this part would be press fitted onto the shaft of the motor.
      The act of pressing it onto the shaft would put a great deal of stress on the rotor and of the bearings supporting it.
      It would make much more sense to "key" it and lock it with a set or 'grub' screw.
      I can see no easy way to remove this part off of the shaft.
      There's only a 1/16 or so gap between the face plate of the motor and the part.
      No room to get any type of bearing pulling tool or press, nor anything to press against to lever it up.
      The face plate is cheap aluminum, even prying with screwdrivers is likely to break it .

If the end result is that this is a non-serviceable part, I'll be downright disappointed.
      A $2 bearing taking out a $300 device. Sheesh. Sounds like something NASA would have done.

TomC

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        If I understand correctly, these units are made in China by TTI...
        No, it's actually made (imported) by Campbell Hausfeld.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

OK guys, this 'aint rocket surgery.
          Here's a pic of everything spread out.
          The second pic shows the eccentric and the shaft.
          The third pic shows the failed bearing underneath the face plate, it's kind of dark, but you get the point.
          How can I get the eccentric off of the shaft without ruining the face plate?
          And then, how do I get them back together without ruining the new bearings?

Someone, throw me a bone!!

Looks like "Orlando" had the same problem last month. Looks like he didn't find satisfaction. Hopefully, I won't fall into that same boat.
          I'd really hate to throw away this perfectly good compressor all because of this measly little problem.

TomC
          Attached Files

Comment

I'll have to look at one of these at work. We've never torn one down that far... simply because parts aren't available as individual replacements. We just replace the pump/motor assy if it's still under warranty.

If all else fails, I may be able to get my hands on a used armature / endplate / eccentric off of a replaced unit that's still in decent shape. It's usually the start windings & capacitors that go tits-up, so the armature & bearings should still be good (if I can locate an old assy).

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
              I'll have to look at one of these at work. We've never torn one down that far... simply because parts aren't available as individual replacements. We just replace the pump/motor assy if it's still under warranty.

If all else fails, I may be able to get my hands on a used armature / endplate / eccentric off of a replaced unit that's still in decent shape. It's usually the start windings & capacitors that go tits-up, so the armature & bearings should still be good (if I can locate an old assy).
              I'd really appreciate it, let me know if you have a spare one and what you'd want for it.
              I really don't want to start beating on mine and fubar it completely.
              Prying on it or heating it just sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially considering how brittle/fragile that face plate is.

I'm *really*really*really* surprised that the manufacturer considers this entire compressor a "disposable" product.
              And why in the gosh darn holy hades does the replacement part cost twice as much as the entire compressor?
              Try and figure that one out!!

TomC

Comment

I just spent the last hour hammering, prying and cursing at this damn eccentric and all I've managed to do is to push the remains of the bearing further down the shaft of the rotor.
                The eccentric refuses to budge.
                I've got a bone to pick with the engineer responsible for designing this POS.

Running short on ideas and patience.

TomC

Comment

^bump^

Comment

Tom, I looked around the shop today and we currently don't have an old pump/motor. I've asked the tech that works on compressors to hold the next one he replaces for me.

Comment

My BMW KI motor cycle wheel bearing had an odd procedure to remove it. Since the AL alloy rim expands greater to heating than the steel bearing you had to remove the tire, heat the wheel then remove the bearing with a blind puller. I would try heating that zinc frame with a heat gun and see what happens. Do not be surprised if you can not get it apart as I bet it is a disposable assembly with loctite holding that bearing. Really ticks me off too when the manuf. does that.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                        Tom, I looked around the shop today and we currently don't have an old pump/motor. I've asked the tech that works on compressors to hold the next one he replaces for me.
                        Thanks, and I appreciate it.
                        I won't toss this into the dumpster just yet.
                        I don't give up that easily.

TomC

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                          My BMW KI motor cycle wheel bearing had an odd procedure to remove it. Since the AL alloy rim expands greater to heating than the steel bearing you had to remove the tire, heat the wheel then remove the bearing with a blind puller. I would try heating that zinc frame with a heat gun and see what happens. Do not be surprised if you can not get it apart as I bet it is a disposable assembly with loctite holding that bearing. Really ticks me off too when the manuf. does that.
                          Heating the frame probably won't get me anywhere as the frame only holds the bearing in place and not the eccentric. I won't have any trouble getting the bearing out, I've got the tools for that.
                          The eccentric has to come off first, and so far it's not budging.
                          I'll try warming the eccentric up with my portable propane torch, see if I can break it loose.
                          It might be a situation where it truly isn't a serviceable piece.
                          Gotta hand it to the engineer who dreamed up this cluster&"@%.

TomC

Comment

the eccentric will come off by heating it to a dull red around the small end,
                            have a helper to pry up on both side of the counter weight as you keep it red, you will have to heat it when you press it back on,
                            you can also add an 1/8" set screw to keep it from coming loose in the future
                            if you have a small 2 finger puller, drill a 5/16 hole in line with the edge of the counter weights,centered below the piston shaft, then apply heat

we have 2 of these in the shop now with the shaft apart,we use an oxy
                            -acetylene #1 tip to heat, keep the heat from the windings

Comment

Originally posted by smallen View Post
                              the eccentric will come off by heating it to a dull red around the small end,
                              have a helper to pry up on both side of the counter weight as you keep it red, you will have to heat it when you press it back on,
                              you can also add an 1/8" set screw to keep it from coming loose in the future
                              if you have a small 2 finger puller, drill a 5/16 hole in line with the edge of the counter weights,centered below the piston shaft, then apply heat

we have 2 of these in the shop now with the shaft apart,we use an oxy
                              -acetylene #1 tip to heat, keep the heat from the windings
                              AH HA!!
                              I knew it.
                              Here I was worried it was threaded and locktighted on. *sheesh*

Propane torch, here I come!!!

Thanks so much.
                              if this goes well, it should be working by this time tomorrow.

TomC
                              Last edited by TCCrab; 01-27-2010, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X