Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly tension release on Ridgid bandsaw?

Here's a thought. Has anyone considered trying to fit the tension release mechanism from the Grizzly G0555 bandsaw on the Ridgid? The castings look very similar from the parts books. And the components for the Grizzly release are a fraction of the cost of the Carter version.

Re: Grizzly tension release on Ridgid bandsaw?

Hello
    Do you have a pic or web page that shows the grizzly quick release. Thanks, Ron

Comment

Here's a picture and a list of the parts needed
      Attached Files

Comment

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered all the parts except the washers and the bolts that hold the brackets to the frame. The frame is going to have to be drilled and tapped, and since I don't have metric taps, I'll purchase american equivalents locally. I'll probably have to remove the upper frame to drill and tap the holes. But, otherwise, it seems like a pretty straightforward process. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

That actually looks like it would be quite easy to fabricate your own. I have not really looked into one of these as of yet, but have thought about it. I usually leave the tension on the blade all the time, too much hassle without the QTR. I have some 1/4" plate lying around, I may have to take a tinker day and fab something up.

Comment

An attempt at clarifying the Tension Relief Assembly.

It looks very doable and is affordable, will put this on my to do list.
            Attached Files

Comment

Do you really need this?? I use to detension mine, but stopped and have never had a problem with flat spots or blade problems.
              My thoughts are, if my bandsaw came with it, fine, but to go through the trouble and expense to modify it, I really think you will not gain anything. My opinion only. Ron
              Last edited by Ronald; 01-22-2010, 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

When I mount a 1/4" blade, I have no worries but when i'm re-sawing with a 3/4" laguna blade, I would like to release tension when not in use. The existing tension release on my RIDGID is so difficult that I don't even bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
                  Do you really need this?? I use to detension mine, but stopped and have never had a problem with flat spots or blade problems.
                  My thoughts are, if my bandsaw came with it, fine, but to go through the trouble and expense to modify it, I really think you will not gain anything. My opinion only. Ron
                  Some of us enjoy upgrading, modifying, and tinkering with our tools... Just as much as using them. If you don't see it necessary, or are not the tinker type, don't do it.

Some times the only answer to "Why do it?" is "Just because!"

As for myself, it would be easier and not much more money to buy the Grizzly parts. BUT, I enjoy fabricating, and simply love an excuse to work with metal... So I think I'll give it a shot.

Francisco: Thanks for posting the exploded view... Now I only have to make parts instead of design them.
                  Last edited by acs_guitars; 01-23-2010, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Hello
                    Please, I hope nobody took my psot as sarcasism. It surely was not meant that way nor was it saying not to try an upgrade. Ron

Comment

It's done (see attached photos). I ordered all of the parts from Grizzly except the washers and the three bolts that mount the tension release to the upper frame arm. I also ordered the Grizzly tension adjusting knob and nut as the ones on my Ridgid bandsaw were stripped (again). This was a good decision, as the adjusting knob came with instructions for using the tension release mechanism. Total cost: $52 including shipping.

The procedure was fairly simple and only took about half a day. You will need to remove the upper frame arm, which involves removing the blade and upper blade cover. I assembled the tension release mechanism, then placed it in the approximate position on the frame arm and marked for the holes. Then I drilled and tapped the holes for a 5/16 inch by 18 tpi bolt. I purchased 3 hardened bolts 3/4 inch long at the local hardware store, as well as all of the washers required for assembly.

Some tricks to smooth the process. 1) If you don't already have a 5/16 tap, try to find one that comes with the drill bit. The 5/16, 18 tpi tap requires a #F bit, which was difficult to find in my area. 2) Don't use a tap with a pointed end as it won't give you enough thread depth. 3) Locate the mounting holes in the upper frame arm as high on the arm as you feel comfortable with. I drilled the holes a little too low and ran into the holes for the two small screws that attach the blade cover to the frame arm [it didn't affect anything, except that there's a gap in the threads]. 4) Make sure you drill the holes deep enough on the first try. I set the depth on my drill press to about 1/8 inch above the track that the shaft bracket rides in. But since the tap doesn't cut deep enough threads on the first 1/4 inch or so, it was very close. Without the lock washer, the 3/4 inch bolts would have bottomed out. 5) After you drill the holes, mount the tap in your drill press and have a helper apply downward pressure as you turn the chuck manually using a lever in the key hole. Try to cut at least two complete turns before removing the tap from the drill press and completing the threads by hand. This will give you a good straight hole.

Bottom line: it works great. And for a fraction of the cost of the Carter version.
                      Attached Files

Comment

very nice modification. there is something elegant about merging things that achieve a result at a savings over a manufacture item that is very satisfying. now, if someone would do something like that for a jet jwbs-18, i would copy it in a heartbeat! congratulations on a really nice addition to your saw.
                        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

looks great... I have not had time to do anything of fabricating things, but I was thinking of this yesterday and was going to ask of your progress just now. Glad to see it al worked as expected.

Comment

To avoid the taping and disassembling, why not just drill through and use bolts and nylock nuts? You can just drill the sheet metal inner-cover for access. Looks very nice and much better than all the turning back and forth. I always de-tention the blade when I am done.
                            Last edited by Andrew M.; 02-06-2010, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Andrew, that might work. I don't have the saw handy to check. But you should mock it up before you try. The position in which the fixture fits best would interfere with the slot that the pulley shaft mount rides in. It might not function properly if you move the mounting holes farther out. You might also have problems with the mounting bolts coming too close to the two small screws that mount the back blade cover. It's really tempting to try to drill the holes without disassembling the saw, but it's a really messy process, especially if you lubricate the drill bit. I wouldn't want all of those filings finding their way into the saw. And, it only took me about 30 minutes to disassemble the saw. I installed a new blade at the same time, so the whole disassembly and reassembly process probably only took about 45 minutes longer than a standard blade change.

Comment

Working...
                              X