X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck loosening while drilling

Currently have the R86007 2 speed drill driver and the chuck will loosen around the bit and thus drop the bit out. I have to then re-tighten the chuck down. Anyone know how to fix this?

Re: Chuck loosening while drilling

I don't know that particular drill... some chucks are just better than others. Did it always do that or is this "new" behavior?

Open the chuck about half-way and blow it out real well with compressed air. Stuff in there can cause the problem.

Also, make sure your bit shank is in good shape. A burred-up shank can also make the chuck "self-loosening".

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
      I don't know that particular drill... some chucks are just better than others. Did it always do that or is this "new" behavior?

Open the chuck about half-way and blow it out real well with compressed air. Stuff in there can cause the problem.

Also, make sure your bit shank is in good shape. A burred-up shank can also make the chuck "self-loosening".
      It has done it since I bought it about 7 months ago. Bits are in brand new shape. I noticed some oil coming out around the chuck where you tighten it.

I was trying to find a schematic for this drill so that I can try to fix it myself but have not been able to locate one.

Comment

From what I remember, that chuck was specifically designed for that drill. No other chuck will mount onto it and look correct. Try cleaning it out with some air as suggested earlier. If not you will most likely have to order a new one from Ridgid.

Comment

Once you put the bits in make sure you tighten the chuck till you hear a click or to, also if that doesn't work you might want to concider taking it in to a service center.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I'll try shooting some air in there to see what happens. If I am not hearing any clicking when tightening it down that might be the issue. Will test at lunch and post an update on my findings.

Comment

Evidently the chuck for this drill does not click when tightened.

Comment

Originally posted by buildthis View Post
                It has done it since I bought it about 7 months ago. Bits are in brand new shape. I noticed some oil coming out around the chuck where you tighten it.

I was trying to find a schematic for this drill so that I can try to fix it myself but have not been able to locate one.
                Should have returned/exchanged it when you bought it.

If it's still doing it now as you state (not clicking when tightening), you'll need to take it to a service center for replacement.

Comment

I found this thread after posting my own complaints about the chuck. Not only does it auto-loosen - and that's simply from the 'impact' of releasing the trigger! - but when I respond to that dropped bit by rechucking it and then 'bumping' the trigger, while ever-more-tightly-each-time gripping the cruel ribbed plastic chuck, it is only too happy to twist the skin on my palm enough to injure me...yet still loosen itself again. This ain't no defect - it's just bad design.

I just came back online looking for the correct method to remove the chuck so I might replace it. You might have noticed there's no typical internal LH thread mounting-screw...and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it's unitized with the clutch and gearbox - so no replacement is even possible other than by factory service.

Right now, it seems likely I will stick the drill up Ridgid's LSA-hole - hoping that in this process, I have the opportunity to ask if they EVER tested it in real-world conditions before releasing it on us.

Comment

Originally posted by 808Pants View Post
                    I found this thread after posting my own complaints about the chuck. Not only does it auto-loosen - and that's simply from the 'impact' of releasing the trigger! - but when I respond to that dropped bit by rechucking it and then 'bumping' the trigger, while ever-more-tightly-each-time gripping the cruel ribbed plastic chuck, it is only too happy to twist the skin on my palm enough to injure me...yet still loosen itself again. This ain't no defect - it's just bad design.

I just came back online looking for the correct method to remove the chuck so I might replace it. You might have noticed there's no typical internal LH thread mounting-screw...and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it's unitized with the clutch and gearbox - so no replacement is even possible other than by factory service.

Right now, it seems likely I will stick the drill up Ridgid's LSA-hole - hoping that in this process, I have the opportunity to ask if they EVER tested it in real-world conditions before releasing it on us.
                    You again!.....I reviewed your posts which reminded me that you have been complaining about Ridgid tools on this site several times. It has seemed very possible by your previous posts that you buy junk on ebay or whatever and then come on here complaining and you try to wheedle some scam at Home Depot and then come on here complaining.
                    Now you are back on here complaining about a cruel, diabolical, drill chuck that is attacking and injuring you. I suggest you return this worn out, beat up piece of junk to ebay or wherever you bought it. Try buying new and using the tool according to directions and maybe you won't have a problem and if you do........you can take it to a Ridgid authorised service center for repair.......Ray

Comment

uh, RoadRash?

Yeah, it's me again. I'm funny that way: I don't tend to go online to sing the praises of tools that DON'T break down on me. I also don't go online looking like a goon-squad shill for Ridgid. Is that a volunteer position for you, Mr. Hospitality? Or maybe you're really an experimental forum-crawling slander-bot? Must I scan and post receipts for my Home Depot Ridgid tool purchases in order to unsubscribe from your scans?

If you're actually human, yet you've got the time to research other people's posts and profile them before coming back with vicious replies based on an ungainly defensive posture for Ridgid, well...you may well have too much time on your hands. Take up a hobby. Smoke some dope. Join a church group. Get laid. Whatever.

And as for "directions" - your version of them would have me practicing so as to release the trigger slowly, thus not loosening the chuck and dropping chucked tools regularly? And...you're gonna defend that as a viable method of operation? Whoa.

Comment

Originally posted by 808Pants View Post
                        uh, RoadRash?

Yeah, it's me again. I'm funny that way: I don't tend to go online to sing the praises of tools that DON'T break down on me. I also don't go online looking like a goon-squad shill for Ridgid. Is that a volunteer position for you, Mr. Hospitality? Or maybe you're really an experimental forum-crawling slander-bot? Must I scan and post receipts for my Home Depot Ridgid tool purchases in order to unsubscribe from your scans?

If you're actually human, yet you've got the time to research other people's posts and profile them before coming back with vicious replies based on an ungainly defensive posture for Ridgid, well...you may well have too much time on your hands. Take up a hobby. Smoke some dope. Join a church group. Get laid. Whatever.

And as for "directions" - your version of them would have me practicing so as to release the trigger slowly, thus not loosening the chuck and dropping chucked tools regularly? And...you're gonna defend that as a viable method of operation? Whoa.
                        Hey pants! I was just trying to keep you from continuing to be injured by the almost human diabolical actions of the drill. You know, those soft easily twisted and injured palms.........
                        "gripping the cruel ribbed plastic chuck, it is only too happy to twist the skin on my palm enough to injure me"
                        Sounds like someone has already been smoking dope. Enough of exposing yourself to that kind of danger. Take it to a Ridgid service center before those "soft little palms are injured some more."
                        Oh, the humanity!......Ray

Comment

I just bought mine...hours ago, along with new bits. Mine does the same thing.

Comment

mnicedur,

Too bad Ridgid is apparently still selling these.

Around the time I posted, I also emailed tech support with my complaint. About a month later, a great guy from their tool design wing, the name of which doesn't at all resemble "Ridgid" (might have been "techtronic") called me and talked to me about the problem for quite some time. He said they'd come to the same conclusion as had I about the loosening of the chuck - said something about a sort of focus-group of people testing them. He offered a replacement with that problem taken care of, and then some.

It got better - and not that they asked me to sign a non-disclosure agreement, but it's probably better I don't go into the details.

Anyway, send an email using the online form for tech support - they should take care of you.

--Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave!
                              Just thought I was a rookie and didn't know how to tighten the bit!
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X