X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman 6" Jointer

Anyone had any experience with a Craftsman jointer? Found one on Craigslist near my son and was gonna have him look at for me. Working on a budget so I didn't want to spend alot for something I'm not sure I will use alot. Also I was at Woodcraft today, (their largest store and corporate offices are 45 min. form me) and they were telling me Home Depot and Ridgid are parting ways. I went to the HD near me and they had very little Ridgid stuff on display. The area where they always have a large group of Ridgid tools set up to look at was empty. Anyone hear anything about this?
    Never outsmart your common sense

Re: Craftsman 6" Jointer

Originally posted by Craig Moore View Post
    Anyone had any experience with a Craftsman jointer? Found one on Craigslist near my son and was gonna have him look at for me. Working on a budget so I didn't want to spend alot for something I'm not sure I will use alot. Also I was at Woodcraft today, (their largest store and corporate offices are 45 min. form me) and they were telling me Home Depot and Ridgid are parting ways. I went to the HD near me and they had very little Ridgid stuff on display. The area where they always have a large group of Ridgid tools set up to look at was empty. Anyone hear anything about this?
    i have not heard this, did he say if any other store will carry, maybe one that will do a way better job supporting the product!

Comment

No, he never said. I got the impression from him he was kinda putting me down cause I was talking about the lifetime guarantee of ridgid tools and wasn't buying from Woodcraft. I did not talk to anyone at HD but just noticed the did not display near the Ridgid stuff they usually do. I read in another forum about someone else talking about HD maybe were just cutting back on how much floor space they were donating to Ridgid tools.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Moore View Post
        No, he never said. I got the impression from him he was kinda putting me down cause I was talking about the lifetime guarantee of ridgid tools and wasn't buying from Woodcraft. I did not talk to anyone at HD but just noticed the did not display near the Ridgid stuff they usually do. I read in another forum about someone else talking about HD maybe were just cutting back on how much floor space they were donating to Ridgid tools.

Craig
        I don't think HD would be dropping RIDGID, but are probably thinking that any stationary WW tools don't have high enough margins/turnover. The job site saws etc. are going to still move, because they have floor models and models that are cheap enough to get for just one simple project. The DW735 I bought this weekend has been sitting in that store since early November 2009 based on the shipping label. The RIDGID jointer I bought in April was manufactured several years ago; and I suspect just sitting in the overhead all that time.

Comment

high dollar product that sits on the shelves and takes up space is not profitable, its got to move or it gets marked down until it does move.

I think that is why HD has marked the DW-735 down so drastically, they were about $50 lower than Lowes for the same tool and still not selling. So time to cut your losses, get out at cost or slightly above, and run.

Was in Lowes this weekend and they still have the DW-735 at $649.99, I wonder if they would do a price match to HDs' close out figure?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Craig: To answer your first question on a craftsman jointer, my son bought one about 25 years ago and outside of sharpening blades, he hasn't had to do a thing to it. He was in business doing kitchen and bath remodel and it got lots of use. HTH
            Jim

Comment

Thanks Pipestone Kid. Was wondering if everyone forgot my original question.

Craig

Comment

I have the 6 1/8" three blade bench top professional jointer and love it. I think I got it new on sale for $247.00 and has done everything I have wanted it to do.

Charles
                Charles

Comment

Working...
                X