Vac Electric Shock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vac Electric Shock

Cost is not the issue here. Does that mean that a manufacture has the right to create products that are not safe to use because they are a cheaper alternative? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
      Cost is not the issue here. Does that mean that a manufacture has the right to create products that are not safe to use because they are a cheaper alternative? I don't think so.
      I think you are missing the point. If it really is static and not line voltage he would need a specialty hose which most people do not need. To include them on every vacuum for the few who need it would be like requiring hand controls on all cars in the US in case a handicap person bought the car.

Static electricity is something natural we deal with all of the time. I've yet to see a carpet company weave ground wires into carpeting so that you can ground your carpet. That does not make carpet unsafe to use. I went online and looked at the Bosch Airsweep which is a similar size vacuum clearer but cost three times as much as the Ridgid (it's better built than the Ridgid). They make a static hose you can buy as an option but it is still $75 for a 10' hose.

All of the above being said, if it really is line voltage and not static electricity than there is no question it is defective and it should not be used.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        I think you are missing the point. If it really is static and not line voltage he would need a specialty hose which most people do not need. To include them on every vacuum for the few who need it would be like requiring hand controls on all cars in the US in case a handicap person bought the car.

Static electricity is something natural we deal with all of the time. I've yet to see a carpet company weave ground wires into carpeting so that you can ground your carpet. That does not make carpet unsafe to use. I went online and looked at the Bosch Airsweep which is a similar size vacuum clearer but cost three times as much as the Ridgid (it's better built than the Ridgid). They make a static hose you can buy as an option but it is still $75 for a 10' hose.

All of the above being said, if it really is line voltage and not static electricity than there is no question it is defective and it should not be used.

Mark
        Oh no, now you've done it. Delete this quick! Before the ADA rulemaking numbskulls get ahold of it!

J.C.

Comment

So what does Ridgid offer for the "handicaps"?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Oh no, now you've done it. Delete this quick! Before the ADA rulemaking numbskulls get ahold of it!

J.C.
            LOL-Boy isn't that the truth. I spent enough time in a wheelchair to appreciate the need for making special arrangements to accommodate the handicap when possible. However, sometimes it seems like we get bombarded with extra costs to do everything to accommodate everyone and I am not talking about just those who are handicapped.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
              So what does Ridgid offer for the "handicaps"?
              K-60's??

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                K-60's??

I think they meant physically handicapped.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by BOUGIEPROJECTS View Post
                  The ladder I use is aluminum. The 22 in 1 deal.
                  Well, I'm trying to answer nicely, so...

I would say to use a fibreglass/non-conducting ladder.

I say this, and this whole thread is funny to me, as I myself have the 6-gallon Ridgid wet/dry vac (with the standard/plain-plastic hose as well as the better rubber-like hose), and I also have the 1/4 sheet sander too. I have not come across this problem myself - except when I myself am the ground in a static-prone / dry environment. I actually, on Friday, spent 4 hours using this exact same setup to sand down the basement reno that I did for a customer. I was sanding the excess off of the Sheetrock 90 & CCG All Purpose mud work that I did earlier in the week. Using this same sander/vac setup, no static issues for me when:
                  • sanding upper edge / ceiling stuff, while standing on a 4' contractor's fibreglass non-conducting ladder.
                  • sanding walls, when standing on the ground, wearing my cheesy rubber Crocs (ugly shoes, but great for dirty jobs) - and they didn't ground me.
                  The one or two times that I forgot, and I was bare foot on some cement, or stuff like that, yeah, I've got static shocked before. It happens. Depends on what you're wearing shoe-wise, and if you're grounded or not.

Funny - to me, I thought this was a known thing, and most contractor's that I know of / work with / work for, all have their own work-arounds for this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I think they meant physically handicapped.

J.C.
                    I know. I was just making a fun poke. I was going to say, "Plumbing tools??!" but I figured that would probably get me slaughtered at the next RoundUp!

Comment

Let's back up though.

If this person is doing the exact same work with a different product, bought the Ridgid Vac to update for the same work, and is getting consistent shocks with it as opposed to the other then-

HE HAS A LEGITIMATE COMPLAINT.

J.C.

Comment

Maybe. But I don't know. All the sanders I have used in these similar functions (with a shop vac [either Ridgid, ShopVac, Craftsman], and the sanders [Ridgid, Makita, Bosch, DeWalt]), have all had a similar thing going on.

Like Mark said, static is one thing, an electrical short/issue is another.

To me, this sounds more like a static thing. If he was shocked by an electrical short, and he's still here typing, and the sander is still working (it didn't fry itself, no crazy operation, burnt motor/brushes, etc.), then I would think it's from a static buildup.

If he's that worried/concerned about it, he could bring it to a service center to have it checked out, to see what the actual issue is.

Comment

It took some looking but I found a static free vacuum cleaner and it is listed as the Special of the Month.

http://www.tiger-vac.com/documents/n...V_EX_AM_En.pdf

Mark

Comment

Okay I found one last one but it is only a 3.25 gallon vacuum. So I was wrong, the are available but it looks like they are made for clean rooms or other special applications.

http://www.sylvane.com/nilfisk-gm80cr.html

I also found where janitors in electronic manufacturing say they have to drag lengths of chain on the vacuum cleaners and their shoes to eliminate static electricity.

Mark

Comment

joey made me a christmas blanket that at night time it emits a nice light show when the weather is just right.

is she trying to kill me

i have as many vacuums as i do snakes most are used for wet pickup and concrete cutting/ slurry. i can't remember being shocked while using them even in a wet environment.

yet there are times when i'm afraid to open the door on my truck due to static electricity.

it's something that you're aware of when the conditions are right. if all it takes is an investment in an antistatic hose, then buy an antistatic hose. i know i would never own all the vacs i do if i had to pay for an expensive hose that is useless for my applications. in fact i even use pool cleaner hoses to extend the reach of my pick up without dragging the vac all over the place.

i would think there is a warning in the owners manual discussing static electricity and how to deal with it. not that i ever read the manuals for a vacuum, but i think it's there

i'll see if i can find it online.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

One way to prevent static electricity is to keep the humidity up.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X