Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vac Electric Shock

Hi All

Well - I decided to upgrade all my tools - Bigger jobs - Bigger clients.

I since have bought the :
    Ridgid 11 Gallon 6.5 hp WD 7000
    Ridgid 4.5 Gallon Pro Pack WD4522
    Ridgid 10' Extension Hose VT2570 4X Pro Hose
    Ridgid Orbit Sander R2601
    Ridgid 1/4 Sheet Sander R2500

and the Brad Nailer - Don't have the manual near me at this point.

Basically - i thought I bought the Best - and paid over $1000 Canadian

WOW - Am I Pissed!

I am in front of one of my top clients - Bragging about my Ridgid
    Tools - while sanding a ceiling - was a dust free thing, only to
    receive a Shock after Shock! I looked like a total idiot!

I figured I would buy all Ridgid - to make sure everything is compatable
    and would work flawlessly - Ouch!!!!

I then noticed on this forum - another user complained about the same
    thing - and was suggested to " ground the hose with some make-shift
    wire" ... and it was a common problem. This was from Ridgid.

Here is my reply - another common problem is switching back to DeWALT
    and contacting a lawyer - aka Mr. Class Action. He loves large tool makers
    and Home Depot.

I bought your tool with the understanding - they were the Best!
    Take your Ground and Shove It - I never suggested I was an electrician -
    I am a Contractor!

Yes - You'll quickly tell me I could have done this privately - but Thanks
    I don't need another Dumb *** Comment - about attaching a ground to
    a hose I just paid $50 Bucks For - Thats your Job!

Please settle this quick - Contact me - I won't contact you again.
    The run around has since become boring. I am also affiliated with MANY
    LARGE Contractor websites - and would be glad to repost this .......
    including your reply! Welcome to Jobmate Land!

PS - Home Depot won't refund me - because my damn Ups has been
    since mailed to you - for my lifetime warranty - Sucker I Am!

FIX THIS

Thanks

William Bougie

Re: Vac Electric Shock

Bougie Man's pissed on the first post!

J.C.

Comment

And that's a problem? I was hoping to BRAG on the first post.

Comment

was it do to faulty electrical process?
        or do to dust static?
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BOUGIEPROJECTS View Post
          And that's a problem? I was hoping to BRAG on the first post.
          No, not a problem at all. I get pissed too.

J.C.

Comment

It was due to - a faulty product. As I said - I bought it all Ridgid just to make sure there would be no problems.

All plugs I connected to are grounded - and as I reported - Ridgid says this is a common problem - and suggest to ground the hose.

Shouldn't that be rigids job - not ours - lol
            Seeing - I paid 2X the price for the same tools

Comment

Sorry Guys - I don't mean to be a dick - but come on!

I paid good cash for a "good" tool. I looked like a dick in front of
              a client - and all I can find is some dumb-*** reply - like - ground
              the hose. Please - if I would have know that - I would have never
              waisted $1000 - and bought a tool that worked without the fireworks.

Imagine - if - working near gas or water - this was to happen?

Anyhow - sorry if I'm not flying the Ridgid flag right now.

I want answers and solutions - NOW - not after myself or one of
              my men gets fried. AND! I'm saving you $1000 Bucks

Comment

No need to fly anyone's flag in my book. If something's not right....it's not right.

Usually the Ridgid group is helpful in the customer service area. Someone will probably read your post from the company next week and possibly offer a solution.

J.C.

Comment

Well, was it static electricity or was it due to a electrical short???

Comment

this is the question was it static, or an electrical fault?

I was asking as STATIC is a common problem in dust collection systems, you can really have it when using PVC pipe, when plastic hoses are used, the static builds up do to the the dust and under some conditions it will give one a wallop,
                    I have had it happen a few times when using a vacuum, and besides grounding the hose (to dissipate the static build up) there is not much one can do unless one uses a metal hose, or one with metal in it.
                    (and for your info I do not have a Ridgid vac, as far as I know any unit who has a plastic hose is subtable to the static discharge),
                    Does Ridgid make an optional hose that has a grounding wire molded in I do not know.

and if it was static shock, I would not say it is a manufacturing fault, even tho they possibly could mold a small wire in the hose, (but I am not sure if one would have to get to the ground of the electrical system or not).
                    I do not know maybe they make an optional hose that has a grounding wire molded in It,

on most situations all you will get is a some dust standing on the hose from static, but if the conditions are just wrong it will start to zap some one.

and this is a problem with plastics, and dust and physics, been this way ever since they made a plastic hose,

believe it or not when your pumping gasoline at a powered pump the same thing can happen, they have special hoses with ground wires in them for powered pumps. gravity feed hose do not use the grounding wire,

I know you will not care, but one day during a dust storm we had sparks jumping the 3/4" on the TV lead, do to the static the dust was creating on the antenna, and lead wire,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I'm curious:

If he was sanding a ceiling, I'm presuming he was standing on a ladder or small step-stool. So, I'm curious as to whether or not it was an aluminum ladder/step-stool, or one of the fibreglass ones.

Comment

Hi Guys

The ladder I use is aluminum. The 22 in 1 deal.

I hear what your saying about static or electrical ... but it makes no diff. I am certain the sander itself is not defective - BUT - at the same time - They did make the Sander especially able to connect to their hose and vac - for the purpose of well ... sanding.

That's my point - It's flawed! Did the brains behind the creation of the hose not get shocked under rigerous testing? Shouldn't the tools themselves have an interior grounding mechanism?

Why is it - that when I sand with my DeWALT - same Vac - Same hose - No Shock?

Sorry once again for not letting this go - but hey - I bought the " Best " - I expect the Best!
                        Last edited by BOUGIEPROJECTS; 01-30-2010, 08:39 PM. Reason: Spelling Error

Comment

Seems like no one else here is going to tell you, so I will! YOU DIDN'T BUY THE BEST! SO YOU DIDN'T GET THE BEST!

Comment

I think the real question remains is it really an electrical shock or static electricity? I don't know of any shop type vacuums which come with a static type hose as standard equipment although some may be available.

Years ago I had a $500 Pullman but even with that I would have to buy the static hose separately. To include a static proof hose would increase the cost of a $200 vacuum by a bunch and you would still need to attach a ground wire to the hose wire for grounding purposes.

I know McMaster-Carr sells the static hoses in lengths from 10' through 25' and they are priced from about $75 to $150. However, if this is really a line voltage electrical shock the hose won't make a difference and you should stop using the vacuum immediately.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
                              Seems like no one else here is going to tell you, so I will! YOU DIDN'T BUY THE BEST! SO YOU DIDN'T GET THE BEST!
                              I assuming by that you are familiar with a vacuum which comes standard with a static hose? I'm just curious who makes it and how much does it cost?

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X