X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x 18v lithium issue

Most likely the answer I'll get is return under warranty but I wanted to understand WHY if someone with knowledge can shed some light.

I bought the r86006 kit 10 months ago and used it maybe a total of 4 hours since (home use only). I kept drill, batteries and charger in its carry bag in the garage. I brought it in the house and charged both batteries. One battery seemed to charge normally according to light sequence on charger. The second one got the fail sequence. I tried it several times and even the next day after the tools being in the house overnight. I live in Texas so it does not get really cold in the garage. I went to HD and raised a little hell since they are coming to install 5000 worth of carpet next week. I wanted to screw down some squeaky floor in advance. Anyway they gave me a new battery without my receipt. I get home and put the new battery on the charger and for some reason put the second (original) battery in the drill. To my surprise the drill is slower than normal and shuts off after only seconds! I wait a few and it repeats over and over. Put it back on the charger after the new battery was complete and about 5 min later it is complete reporting normal charge but will only run the drill for seconds at a time. The new battery runs it great. Could this be a charger issue that I will see with the new battery once it has been depleted and recharged a few times?

Re: 2x 18v lithium issue

Originally posted by RayG View Post
    I bought the r86006 kit 10 months ago and used it maybe a total of 4 hours since (home use only)
    IMO you got nothing to lose by continuing to use and charge the new battery on your charger since you had success in charging it already. It is possible that you may have allowed your original batteries to discharge to a critical level and damaged them.

Ridgid power tools have a 3 yr warranty and LLSA on tools and batteries. If you have not registered for LLSA this might be a good time to register them and locate a ridgid service center in your area to check out your drill-charger-batteries if the problem continues. Register them on-line and mail in the upc + copy of receipt.
    Contact the LSA processing group (Ridgid customer service) at 1-866-539-1710 if you have problems with registration

Comment

What do you mean by" discharge to a critical level and damaged them".
      I thought you could run down the batteries all teh way or any point in between and that would not hurt the lithium batteries. When using mine, tehy run all the way down, on both drill and flash, and I have never had a problem recharging. Ron

Originally posted by reConx View Post
      IMO you got nothing to lose by continuing to use and charge the new battery on your charger since you had success in charging it already. It is possible that you may have allowed your original batteries to discharge to a critical level and damaged them.

Ridgid power tools have a 3 yr warranty and LLSA on tools and batteries. If you have not registered for LLSA this might be a good time to register them and locate a ridgid service center in your area to check out your drill-charger-batteries if the problem continues. Register them on-line and mail in the upc + copy of receipt.
      Contact the LSA processing group (Ridgid customer service) at 1-866-539-1710 if you have problems with registration

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
        What do you mean by" discharge to a critical level and damaged them".
        I thought you could run down the batteries all teh way or any point in between and that would not hurt the lithium batteries. When using mine, tehy run all the way down, on both drill and flash, and I have never had a problem recharging. Ron
        Based on the owners power tool use (4 hr use in 10 month-old tool) its possible that the batteries discharged in storage/non-use and damaged them
        Check out this thread for the discussion: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30632

***I cycle my batteries similarly to you and have not experienced any battery issues but have now added a separate recharge cycle on all batteries twice a year to avoid deep discharging after reading the above thread. I have other brands in addition to Ridgid so it can be tough to keep track of them all. My 5 yr-old Ridgid 18V NiCads are still performing well for their age and I like their cold-temp performance versus lithium
        Last edited by reConx; 02-06-2010, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Based on these and other comments as it relates to use/cycle, these batteries Li-ion, should not be used by a novice/home owner due to the time between use. I fully charged them after use before putting away. Manual says recharge after six months. It has not been that long since my last use and both batteries are shot! I'm not even sure the supplied charger is anything more than a dummy.... This original battery that charges, according to the charger but does not drive the drill, measures 4.4v with a DVM as compared to 20v on the brand new battery. At 4.4v how could the charger report/pass that as good?

Comment

Working...
          X