X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Depot won't sell me the R885 Cicular saw :(

I own almost every Ridgid tool (in 18v Li) and use them regularly and have come to love them;

I went to the local HD to buy the circular saw and was told they DON'T SELL IT as a lone product.

If I want it I have to buy the 5 piece combo.......

Since I already have everything else in the combo kit I asked the sales guy if there was ANYWAY to get just the saw.....

NOPE!

There has to be a way.... any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Home Depot won't sell me the R885 Cicular saw

eBay
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 02-09-2010, 02:31 PM.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

You can buy the kit and then sell the extra tools you do not need on Ebay, this way you can make your money you spent back.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I agree with Dave - the R885 hasn't been available in Canada in over 2 years since it was discontinued as part of the MaxSelect line.

If you can find a combo with it in Canada, you'd be a fool not to buy it - the charger and batts alone would get you good bucks on eBay.

Or, your thread title is incorrect and you are looking for the X3 version which is the R845.
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
          I agree with Dave - the R885 hasn't been available in Canada in over 2 years since it was discontinued as part of the MaxSelect line.

If you can find a combo with it in Canada, you'd be a fool not to buy it - the charger and batts alone would get you good bucks on eBay.

Or, your thread title is incorrect and you are looking for the X3 version which is the R845.

Hummm... I have never seen or heard of the X3 R845....can you enlighten me?

as for buying the kit and selling it off in parts that is a giant PIA.... I never thought there would be a market on Ebay ...I gotta get out more

Comment

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R963-Combo-Kit/EN/index.htm
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

That’s the kit I was looking at; I thought (because the HD tool dude told me) that it was the R885.

Are they significantly different.... the X3 R845 and the R885?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a nu-B!

Comment

Hi .
                I have 3 Ridgid tools .Sander .bandsaw and 12 in Slider . I have been trying to get the LSA set up since I got the tools (2-3 years ) all I get is the run around I think Ridgid well say anything to sell the dam tools then your on our own..

Comment

I've never used a battery powered circ saw that was worth a damn.
                  Dont waste your money.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
                    I've never used a battery powered circ saw that was worth a damn.
                    Dont waste your money.
                    Like all tools, battery powered circ saws have applications when they are very useful although they do have limitations. We have several of the Ridgid 24V circ saws and they are great for those jobs where the power is sufficient and the crew doesn't want to run extension cords for a corded saw. We find the 24V circ saw very good for cross and rip of 1X material, cross cutting up to 2X material, plywood up to 3/4". It is challenged for ripping 2X material, however can be used if you hold a tight line.
                    I have no experience with the new 18V circ saws, however I did not like the old ones as they were seriously under powered. Some of the online reviews have shown the newer 18V saws to be very useful......Ray

Comment

I figured the cordless circ saw that came with my 5 pc kit was going to be useless. But, it was surprisingly handy when building steps for my patio. Cut thru the composite board without issue, did all of the decking boards for a 4x8 platform and 6 steps one the same charge. Granted, it was "hollow" composite, but even the hollow stuff was pretty thick and heavy duty.

As far as them not selling you the saw, we recently had some during the large clearance HD just did. But now I think they went the route of the cordless jigsaw....its a penny item, not meant to be sold (penny items are pulled off the shelf and sent back to vendor or destroyed). I managed to get a penny cordless jig saw last night, stumbled on an HD that hasnt had them in a LOOONG time but must have found one somewhere.

No more circ saws in sight around here though.

Comment

I have had 3 of the cordless saws in my life.
                        I started off witht eh 18 volt Craftsman saw, I thought it was a great saw, only draw back was the battery system. Sears did not have a great charger or battery. I was able to cut a lot of materail but the battery charging could not keep up with the power requirement. Battery would run out faster then I could charge them.
                        I purchased the 19.2 volt cordless saw by craftsman as an upgrade, the batteries were cheaper so I could go out and get a lot more batteries and I never ran out of battery power. Drawback to their saw was the 5 1/2 inch blades.
                        I upgraded to Ridgid 18 volt drill and the girlfriend at the time purchased me a 18/24 volt Ridgid saw when Home Depot Canada was still carrying the Max Select line of tools. I have done a lot of work with that saw, framed part of a basement, a deck framing, sheeted a roof, floor, you name it the saw has the power and not lackign anything in my opinion.
                        18 volt battery charges in 20 to 30 minutes and I am good to go. Having lots of batteries helps. I find I cut better, straighter and is much easier then chasing cords and place to plug in.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies....

it looks like there is a market for this saw as a standalone product, certainly with me anyway.

I wonder if the "talking heads" at Ridgid read these posts and would like to keep some customers.

I have not purchased a competitors cordless product since I started with Ridgid but I'm about to go looking if I can't get a new/warrantied saw from HD.

I think that they ought to hold onto their customers, to do otherwise makes em a

Comment

Originally posted by kenora View Post
                            Thanks for all the replies....

it looks like there is a market for this saw as a standalone product, certainly with me anyway.

I wonder if the "talking heads" at Ridgid read these posts and would like to keep some customers.

I have not purchased a competitors cordless product since I started with Ridgid but I'm about to go looking if I can't get a new/warrantied saw from HD.

I think that they ought to hold onto their customers, to do otherwise makes em a
                            OK, you have now complained about Ridgid not selling the circ saw as an individual product. Many have done this before you.
                            As I see it you now have three choices.
                            1-Continue to beat the dumb Ridgid horse. They probably won't change just for you.
                            2-You can purchase a competitors product although that decision will necessitate the purchase of the saw and the batteries, and the charger for that brand of saw.
                            3-You can purchase a ridgid 18 volt circular saw on eBay, as BadgerDave suggested in the first post after yours, whereby you will be able to use the batteries and charger that you already have for your other Ridgid tools. I haven't looked lately, however usually one can purchase an 18 volt Ridgid circ saw far less expensively than a competitors saw which will probably only be covered by a one year warranty.(Ridgid is the only manufacturer with the LSA) The cheap price of a new, unused Ridgid circ saw on eBay might offset the risk of a defect in the saw. We have been using three of the Ridgid circ saws for three years in the very demanding environment of professional contracting including heavy use in old house demolition which includes filthy conditions of plaster, wet and rotten wood, nails and other tough conditions. If I needed another saw I would not hesitate purchasing a new Ridgid circ saw on eBay and take the risk in exchange for the bargain price......Ray
                            Last edited by roadrashray; 02-13-2010, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X