Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use my Drill to Cut Metal Tube (w/small cir. saw)?

I'm a power tool novice so thought I'd ask her in the friendly Experts forum. Here's the setup:

Because I've had drilling/driving needs maybe 4 or 5 times a year (I'm 52), I finally purchased a standard consumer-type corded drill that both drills and drives (it has a clutch). I admit, I've just always wanted a drill.

Anyway, underneath my patio table there is solid metal tubing (maybe 3/8" in circumference) that is there ONLY to help guide a proprietary umbrella shaft to fit in the table. I happen to have my own umbrella which is larger than the optional proprietary umbrella. However, the small size of the hole in this metal guide is the only thing precluding me from installing my umbrella. It is entirely expendable and I want to remove it.

To remove this 3/8"-thick metal guide I would only need to cut through it in two places.

Yes I have a hacksaw and at over 200 lbs am strong enough to use it. However, bearing in mind I DID get this damn drill and know there are sanding attachments, paint-stirring attachments and on and on, I would just like IT to supply the power to cut it. I guess I'm a little stubborn (if anybody can relate).

Because of that I have to wonder: is there some type of round/circular metal-cutting attachment I can put into the drill to make these two cuts, and if so could you identify them and/or supply links (I was unsuccessful in locating them) should they exist?

I apologize for my ignorance but hope someone can educate me on this. Thank you kindly.

Re: Use my Drill to Cut Metal Tube (w/small cir. saw)?

hole saw, bi-metal

come in many sizes, go to home depot or lowes and look in the drill bit section.

good luck and be careful.

G3

I see you are a lawyers helper, good luck with the case also
    Last edited by G3sprinklers; 02-12-2010, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Litigation eh? Mike, the right tool for the job you describe would either be a cut off wheel in some kind of grinder, or a reciprocating saw. Your drill is really not designed to be used as a cutting tool and even if you could rig something, it would be unsafe in my opinion. The tools I mentioned would be a nice addition to your drill, and make quick work of that task.

Comment

Mike,

I overwhelmingly agree with Franki.... YOU DO NOT want to use a circular-type cutter in a hand drill! Totally wrong tool for the job! A power drill is designed for drilling holes and driving screws.

It's okay to mix a can of paint (but I don't), but mixing anything thicker than latex, you are abusing the tool. (Like the guy who complained on E-pinions about his $30 corded drill that he burned up mixing tile cement.)

You could stick a buffing disc on it to polish your car, but the ergonomics of a hand drill doesn't provide enough holding control to keep form gouging the paint.

AND... yes you can put a cutting wheel or even a wire brush into the chuck, but what if it pinches and comes flying back at your arm or face!!!!

A hand-held drill/driver is designed to drill holes and drive screws... and for that it is a marvelous and very efficient tool.

You want to cut pipe, metal, wood, or anything else... get the proper tool and please, DON'T use your drill.

CWS

Comment

Thanks Frank, CWS, and G3sprinklers (if that is your real name...- haha). Yes, I suspected my drill wasn't the most ideal candidate for this but as I intimated, it's kind of the principle of the thing. I would prefer to justify my buying this drill and it would be nice if I could make it work for me with this more or less "drilling" anomaly this one time.

The OTHER way I might be able to go -- trying to employ some good ol' American resourcefulness -- could be to sand both sides of my over-sized umbrella pole to wedge it into the guides; but that might backfire if I am unable to remove it. haha. It could turn out like an I Love Lucy episode or sumptin'!

Irrespective of that, thank you so much for giving my honest question the respect of your thoughtful opinions. So OK, I'll hire a handyman. Seriously, I'll take a pass on abusing my drill since it's much easier to abuse my liquor supply.
          Last edited by MikeVB; 02-12-2010, 03:58 PM.

Comment

most likely your hack saw is the easiest tool for the job, and it is very safe to use, if it only 3/8" it should only take a few quick strokes and you would be done with the job,

one of the problems with the drill even if you do get a cut off wheel as that holding it if it catches it will twist around the shaft your cutting and it will not be easy to hold on to the drill and could be dangerous, and when you consider cost, of buying the cut off disk and arbor you will be way farther a head to get a new blade for the hack saw and be done with it,

and yes a drill driver is a great tool to have. but is not the correct tool for this job, and the attachments to attempt to do what your asking are not worth the money in most instances,

with the many tools I have, I would probably chose a hack saw for the job you described, (unless it is a harded shaft), and I have grinders, cutting torches, sawsalls, and more for cutting metal items.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I don't agree that there is any particular safety problem associated with cut off tools in your drill. There are fiber-reinforced disc type cutoff wheels that come with an arbor intended for your drill. Some of these work fairly well. None of them work as well as a real cutoff wheel, either pneumatic or for an angle grinder... or a reciprocating saw which is VERY useful... but that is neither here nor there as far as you're concerned - at least for now.

Getting back to the drill attachment... by the time you go to the hardware store(s), find the thing, drive home, use it....

You could have used your hacksaw and be working on your second beer while sitting under the umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                I don't agree that there is any particular safety problem associated with cut off tools in your drill. There are fiber-reinforced disc type cutoff wheels that come with an arbor intended for your drill. Some of these work fairly well. None of them work as well as a real cutoff wheel, either pneumatic or for an angle grinder... or a reciprocating saw which is VERY useful... but that is neither here nor there as far as you're concerned - at least for now.

Getting back to the drill attachment... by the time you go to the hardware store(s), find the thing, drive home, use it....

You could have used your hacksaw and be working on your second beer while sitting under the umbrella.
                Well, if he's going to go that route please wear safety glasses and gloves.

Comment

MikeVB,

I don't think you fully understand tools... You've started the path of tool purchases and now you must honor the tradition of your male ancestors and buy more and more tools ... While I agree that your saw would be the tool to use, I strongly encourage you to purchase a 60 gallon 5 horse air compressor and a air cut off tool. You won't regret it...

Comment

Originally posted by iamwelty2 View Post
                    MikeVB,

I don't think you fully understand tools... You've started the path of tool purchases and now you must honor the tradition of your male ancestors and buy more and more tools ... While I agree that your saw would be the tool to use, I strongly encourage you to purchase a 60 gallon 5 horse air compressor and a air cut off tool. You won't regret it...
                    I wouldn't want him to run low on air or look weak to his neighbors, so let's say 80 gallon two stage!

Comment

Yes, Frank, of course, you're right....

Comment

Working...
                      X