Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reconditioned drill chuch..

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reconditioned drill chuch..

    Just picked up a reconditioned R861150 hammer drill & am looking closely at it. I have a 7 day window to return it to the retailer, so I am looking it over very carefully. What should I look for that may show a weakness that may shorten it's life? One thing that I noticed is that the chuck has a very slight wobble. It's visible, but only really noticeable when drilling & the drill shakes ever so slightly. I'm not talking about much of a wobble at all, but it prompted the question of whether it should run absolutely true or not. Like I said, I am looking for anything that is not perfect while in the return period. Should I remove the chuck & reinstall it? Is a bit of wobble normal? Remember, it is just a tiny, tiny wobble, but as with my drill press, should it be perfectly true?
    Thinks,
    kev

  • #2
    Re: Reconditioned drill chuch..

    Originally posted by bugeyed View Post
    One thing that I noticed is that the chuck has a very slight wobble. It's visible, but only really noticeable when drilling & the drill shakes ever so slightly
    IMO based on your observations I would return it. Some wobble from the plastic around the chuck might be okay but not drill shakes. I would not expect reconditioned or new drills to need chuck removal/re-install etc. Keep in mind that new Ridgid power tools have a better warranty/return policy

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Reconditioned drill chuch..

      Originally posted by reConx View Post
      IMO based on your observations I would return it. Some wobble from the plastic around the chuck might be okay but not drill shakes. I would not expect reconditioned or new drills to need chuck removal/re-install etc. Keep in mind that new Ridgid power tools have a better warranty/return policy
      Thanks, I am aware of the "new" warranty, but the price was too good! R861150 for $95US was hard to pass on. It looks like new. Since posting this, I have read several posts about new drills with wobble. That's one reason I asked, cause I don't know how to set my expectations. If a high percentage of them wobble slightly then I could either accept it or look elsewhere. It does have a mfg. warranty, wonder if Ridgid would consider this a defect?
      Cheers,
      kev

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Reconditioned drill chuch..

        Originally posted by bugeyed View Post
        Thanks, I am aware of the "new" warranty, but the price was too good! R861150 for $95US was hard to pass on. It looks like new. Since posting this, I have read several posts about new drills with wobble. That's one reason I asked, cause I don't know how to set my expectations. If a high percentage of them wobble slightly then I could either accept it or look elsewhere. It does have a mfg. warranty, wonder if Ridgid would consider this a defect?
        Cheers,
        kev
        I just returned two to Home Depot this morning until i found one with tolerable run-out. (Although some will argue there is no amount of run-out which is tolerable.) The wobble issue to me is annoying and unacceptable, but i guess in china, that kind of thing doesn't concern anyone. If Ridgid gets enough returns, they will probably insist that their chinese factory suppliers step up the quality control.
        Last edited by Joe from NY; 10-31-2010, 03:20 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Reconditioned drill chuch..

          Joe from NY and Bugeyed,

          Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

          A drill with a wobble is almost worthless in my opinion, except for the most "brute" jobs. If you're drilling big, rough holes all the time, I guess a slight bit of wobble isn't going to bother you too much, but if you really want "round" and not oval holes, or you attempt to use small drill bits, then a "wobble" will be a constant point of irritation to you. With small drill bits, you will also be snapping them all too often.

          (I had a Ridgid 14.4-volt drill/driver that only a "slight" wobble, but it became a PIA to use, as I'd forget and stick a small bit into it for drilling a pilot hole and would almost immediated snap it off. Only my own procrastination kept me from getting it fixed right away. Once I got off my butt, the service center had it back to me in a week.)

          I really don't understand why this problem keeps popping up. IMHO, there should be no excuse for producing a drill of any kind that isn't equipped with a true-running chuck.

          CWS

          Comment

          Working...
          X