X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much sparking & how loud should

my Ridgid R871150 cordless drill be when braking? When this drill stops the brushes spark a lot. Not so much when it is running, just a flurry of sparks when it stops (they are visible through the vents)& at higher speed, the brake or whatever it is, makes a pretty loud clack when stopping! At lower speed the clack is not very loud. I know that it will make noise when it stops, just trying to decide if this one is louder than it should be. It is a reconditioned drill, so I am being extra vigilant. Any experience you have is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    kev

Re: How much sparking & how loud should

That's pretty normal. When I worked for Milwaukee, we routinely had customers think their drill was sick because it threw sparks 3 inches out the vents when braking. But when it was demonstrated to them that any of the brand new ones in the showroom also did it they were typically satisfied that it wasn't going to explode in their hand.

The "clack" comes from the planetary gearing in the gearcase. Also normal. Also typical that it's more evident in high gear than in low. Certain Milwaukee models were rather loud in this respect, other models weren't. The 0622 and 0624 also "clacked" due to the absence of cushioning in the motor mounting causing the motor to bang during deceleration.

That said, your best bet is to compare your tool to another of the same model, preferably a new one, and decide for yourself if there's a noticeable difference.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Re: How much sparking & how loud should

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
      That's pretty normal. When I worked for Milwaukee, we routinely had customers think their drill was sick because it threw sparks 3 inches out the vents when braking. But when it was demonstrated to them that any of the brand new ones in the showroom also did it they were typically satisfied that it wasn't going to explode in their hand.

The "clack" comes from the planetary gearing in the gearcase. Also normal. Also typical that it's more evident in high gear than in low. Certain Milwaukee models were rather loud in this respect, other models weren't. The 0622 and 0624 also "clacked" due to the absence of cushioning in the motor mounting causing the motor to bang during deceleration.

That said, your best bet is to compare your tool to another of the same model, preferably a new one, and decide for yourself if there's a noticeable difference.
      Thanks so much for the quick response. As I said, since this is reconditioned, I am being extra vigilant, cause the warranty is only 1 year. It was a recon & on sale on top of that, screamin deal, so I can't really shop around for others. Thanks again,
      kev

Comment

Working...
      X