Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to Purchase a Table Saw Need Help!

I would like to purchase a Table Saw, have been looking at the Ridgid Portable and the Hitachi and the Bosch 4100, don`t do a lot of wood working but built some counter tops last year out of old Heart Pine and would like to buy a better saw, before I start on my vanitys ,all help appreciated, can not find the Ridgid 3660 or the 4511, I saw one last year at HD here in Chattanooga but haven`t found any locally. thanks

Re: Need to Purchase a Table Saw Need Help!

Originally posted by MarkT58 View Post
    I would like to purchase a Table Saw, have been looking at the Ridgid Portable and the Hitachi and the Bosch 4100, don`t do a lot of wood working but built some counter tops last year out of old Heart Pine and would like to buy a better saw, before I start on my vanitys ,all help appreciated, can not find the Ridgid 3660 or the 4511, I saw one last year at HD here in Chattanooga but haven`t found any locally. thanks
    If you're looking for a contractor saw like the 3660, I don't think you're going to find anything in a Ridgid. Sears has some Craftsman saws that are close; and the last time I was in Lowe's (a long time ago, there are none in my area) they had some Delta's.

Comment

Mark - If there's room for a full size saw, you're far better off going that route even if it's not a Ridgid....look at Jet, Delta, GI, Craftsman, Grizzly, Shop Fox, Steel City, Hitachi, or PM. Used is always a possibility. If you're forced to go with a portable, the Ridgid R4510 and Bosch 4100 are better saws than any that Hitachi offers in a portable IMHO.

Comment

+1 on the above post, with two exceptions. jet and powermatic should be avoided if customer and technical service are part of your tool acquisition model. while their tools are ok, their service staffs, although well intentioned and courteous, are not terribly helpful.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

If portable is necessary, I also would go with the Ridgid. I have had one for over 4 years, and it works just as it did from day one, excellent. Only thing that has broken is the little lever for locking the fence, only the bottom half of it broke so it still works fine, but its because my brother dropped the fence one day.

My dad has a PM and a Delta in his cabinet shop. My dad likes both of them, and the PM has been a tank, he bought it used ~18 years ago, was pretty beat up, but we stripped it down, repainted it and replaced the arbor (about 4 years ago, probably should have when he first got it) Other than the arbor going south, its been a great saw. Its a 3 phase 5HP monster and eats even through tough wood like nothing even though its been running off a solid state phase converter the entire time he has owned it. If I was looking at a shop saw I would buy a PM anyday and a delta coming in a close second!

Comment

Working...
          X