X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 bearings

My 3650 had a bad bearing so I tore it apart to replace it. Now I can't get the new ones on the arbor shaft. They are exactly the same as the original ones. I tried putting the arbor shaft in the freezer and the bearings in the oven at low temp, still no go. I am reluctant to use a torch. any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: 3650 bearings

(First of all I have never had this saw or repaired it),

but I have worked on a lot of farm machinery and other machines,
    It is most likely a press fit, and one will need to support the inner race, (may be able to use the old bearing), and then put the arbor in a press and press it on,

if that is not an option, one can use a tube that is the same as the inter race, on the bearing and then slip the bearing on as far as it will go and then tap the bearing on, with the tube doing the pushing and tapping on the tube with a hammer,

I prefer the press, but not ever one has access to one,

http://www.machinediagnostics.com/pd...g%20Basics.pdf

http://www.ntnamerica.com/industrial_mountings.htm
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I too have never fixed one of these but if the old bearing came off with little effort the new one should go on without a press. You can heat the inner race with a heat gun - use the midrage setting around 650 F

Comment

Be very careful heating sealed bearings, as you can destroy the seal as well as deplete the lubricant. Dry ice will shrink the arbor much more than a freezer will (we used that for installing trunnion bearings on aircraft landing gear). If it is a shrink fit bearing, you may have to drop the shaft to under -20F. However, first I would get a micrometer check on the ID of the bearings and the shaft diameter to ensure they did not send the wrong size bearings.

Go
        Last edited by Gofor; 02-22-2010, 09:43 PM.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks guys, I am going to try dry ice and a press.

Comment

If you have access to a micrometer and know how to read, or know someone that knows, please check the diameter of the arbor shaft where the inner race of the ball bearing(s) seat. It could be they are in an inch size and most ball bearings are metric sized. Some have one dimension in inch sizing. Having to press or somehow drive them on is common, but you should never (in this type of application) need tons of force. Putting the arbor in your freezer and the bearing in a warm (but not hot like an oven) should help.

Hint: You might try cleaning the arbor surface manually using very fine sandpaper and then wipe it clean with a rag which has a little light oil on it. Are there any burrs?

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyK View Post
              Thanks guys, I am going to try dry ice and a press.

I replaced mine on an old emmerson /sears TS years ago. If they came off easily then you may have the wrong bearings. I think the shaft has a slight taper to hold the bearings in place. Look at the part numbers to make sure you have the same ones. The removal is usually the issue. Do not heat the bearing. Most sealed bearings have a rubber seal.

I did have to heat a Motorcycle rim per BMX service manual instructions for removal , being Al alloy and the wheel bearing being steel, it's coefficient of expansion is greater than the steel bearing, but you do not reuse the bearing.

Comment

Working...
              X