Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor Problems

Hello, I have a campbell hausfeld fp2095 air compressor
    (http://www.chpower.com/webapp/wcs/st...1_10646_10692_)
    For some reason the pressure switch only kicks the compressor on
    when the internal pressure drops to about 65 psi.
    Now the compressor came with a brad nailer/stapler that needs
    90 psi to run... ?!

I have looked through most of the manuals for this compressor
    and I have found out how to replace the internally placed pressure
    switch, but I don't think that's what I need to do because it's brand
    new. So I have this problem; How do I adjust the pressure switch to cut
    in at 90 psi, and also a whole other problem. The compressor only fills to
    110 psi. although it can fill much higher (220 psi) How would I go about
    adjusting this so that it fills the tanks to a higher capacity?

links to the manuals here: http://www.chpower.com/webapp/wcs/st...ndModel=fp2095

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Compressor Problems

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

I looked through all the literature that is linked from the C-H website that you provided and also at the C-H product page.... they are obviously NOT to good at providing specifications!

There is nothing that I could find on the cut-in and cut-out pressure switch settings or the normal maximum pressure that this unit is rated at. But, I think you are mistaken in your assumption that the unit is capable of 225 psi. My guess, based on competitive units of this type is that the maximum operating pressure is probably 125 psi or maybe even 110 psi.

However, the cut-in pressure (that pressure at which the motor should turn on) may be around 90 psi or slightly lower and the cut-out would be whatever the maximum operating pressure the compressor is rated at. (I don't understand why it would be as low as 65 psi though.) But again, I see nothing in the manuals, or on the unit photo that states this.

Hopefully there is a stamp or decal on the tank that states the operating parameters/ratings for this compressor. Included there should be the cut-in/cut-out pressure setting, maximum working pressure, cfm at 40 psi and cfm at 90 psi. The tank may be stamped with the MAWP (Maximum Allowable Working Pressure), but do not confuse that with the "maximum working pressure". The MAWP is the ANSI rating for the absolute maximum that the tank should ever be pressurized to... and the MAWP is more than the usual maximum operating pressure... anything above the MAWP pressure is a dangerous risk of bursting.

So, I do not believe this unit is anywhere near capable of 225 psi!

(By comparison, I have a Craftsman 2-gal, lubricated compressor with an maximum operating (working) pressure of 125 psi. Cut-in pressure is 95 psi and cut-out pressure is 125 psi. 2.4 scfm @ 90 psi and 3.7 scfm @ 40 psi. There is no MAWP stamp on the tank as would be required for an ANSI tank, I believe. The unit is imported by MidWest Air for Sears. Price paid was $119)

You should probably return this unit to the retailer, question the sales associate and perhaps get a replacement.

I notice that you list your vocation as a "painter". I presume that you are using this compressor as only a driver for your nailer and have no intention of using it to spray with, as it doesn't have nearly the cfm required... except perhaps for an airbrush.

I hope this helps,

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 02-22-2010, 12:39 PM. Reason: Addition information and type correction

Comment

Working...
    X