Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18v Saw Eats Batteries

First time poster here.

I have a set of Ridgid 18v tools with a year or two under their belt. Everything works great for the most part. I have 4 18v 2.5 NiCad Batteries. Now when using the circular saw every once in awhile it will just quit, or sometimes it will get bound up in a piece of wood for less than a second and then the battery is dead. I open up the batteries and they always blow/fry the same lead in them that connect the packs together. So I go to a battery shop and they reconnect them for me and then I am back in business. I seem to do this to one battery a month right now. What could be causing this?

I have opened the saw up and everything seems to be good. I called for warranty work before and since I do no have the original upc and receipt they said they can't do anything for me.

Re: Ridgid 18v Saw Eats Batteries

Originally posted by claimed4all View Post
    First time poster here.

I have a set of Ridgid 18v tools with a year or two under their belt. Everything works great for the most part. I have 4 18v 2.5 NiCad Batteries. Now when using the circular saw every once in awhile it will just quit, or sometimes it will get bound up in a piece of wood for less than a second and then the battery is dead. I open up the batteries and they always blow/fry the same lead in them that connect the packs together. So I go to a battery shop and they reconnect them for me and then I am back in business. I seem to do this to one battery a month right now. What could be causing this?

I have opened the saw up and everything seems to be good. I called for warranty work before and since I do no have the original upc and receipt they said they can't do anything for me.
    I don't know how much you use your tools, however we are a professional contractor and use them hard every day. We typically get about two years out of a battery before it becomes so worn out it needs to be replaced. That does not mean the battery can't be used. It means that it's ability to delivery a full load of current and voltage has become so depleted that the performance is marginal.
    I am not an electronics guy and somebody will come along with a better explanation. As I understand it a new 18 volt battery will come off the charger at around 20-22 volts. When the battery is worn out it will come off at around 17-18 volts and will drop off very quickly with a little use. The circ saw is the biggest power hog in all of the Ridgid batt tools. When you try to saw with a battery that is worn out, it is my understanding that the lower voltage will draw more amps which heats up the entire circuit and fails the weakest link. That is the best I can do in tech talk. Someone will help us with a better explanation.
    The bottom line is I believe your batts are toast and you might want to have them rebuilt or buy some new ones. Good luck......Ray

Comment

I should voltage check the batteries. But the batteries seem to work fine, I get more life and power out of them than you could ever dream off. On an average day each battery is on and off the charger atleast one time. Seems like they would put a circuit breaker of fuse in the system so it doesn't have to break my batteries.

Comment

if they were purchased within 3 years, they are still under guaranty/warranty. if older, did you register them under the LSA? they shouldn't be doing what you say they are doing.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
        X