X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dremel multi tool

Any one out there bought one of these. I am looking to buy one and i realy dont want to spend $300 on one of the fien or rockwell versions .Any feenback would be great!

Re: Dremel multi tool

i bought that 1 at christmas, but haven't tried it yet.

it had mixed reviews online.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I bought the Harbor Freight version for around $30 knowing it would see only limited use and really not expecting much. I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised with how well it works. There was a rather long thread on one of the other forums about the HF version of the multi tool and the overall consensus was that it was as good a tool as other brands costing much more. I have no experience with the Dremel version and I'm sure it's a good tool but if budget is a big factor you may want to check out the HF multi tool.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have one and have used it to cut a bunch of hard fir flooring, 3/4" thick used it about 5 hrs that day, if you let it work and not push it is a good tool

it feels light and a little fragile, but it has held up for me,

besides the flooring I took one of the blades that I wore out on the flooring and sharped it and used it to take off vinyl stick on lettering off a old propane tank and it worked well on that task as well,

and have played with it some in the shop, so far it has held up and did what I wanted and expected out of it,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I too got the Harbor Freight version.... $34.00 a few weeks ago. Used it to remove glued down vinyl floor off of very, very old wooden floor that I'm refinishing... worked incredibly well... Haven't used the other attachments, but at least for this one use, I was very pleasantly suprized.

Comment

I also have the Harbor Freight unit. Recently Harbor Freight has introduced a second tool..this one has variable speed! I can't complain as the tool does what it's designed to do.

Their attachments are also very affordable and work quite well.

The April issue of Woodworker's journal reviews the six big boy multi-tools.

It seems the patent that Fein had did expire and thus all the wanna-bees have jumped into that product line.

Cactus Man

Comment

The dremel has been great for trimming mouldings, baseboard and cutting outlets in drywall relatively dust-free. I am slowly finding new uses for the tool. I gave my dad the HF version and it performs similarly for $30 (probably one of the best HF hand held powertool).

Comment

I got the Bosch PS50 on sale. Hoping Milwaukee will come up with it at some point.

Here I'm stripping linoleum paper off concrete floor. Blade lasts about 1sq foot and then has to be resharpened with a cordless grinder (take 4-5 seconds to resharpen).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aulLZU8HFJc

Comment

I have the dremel. I had to cut a piece of 1/2 copper in the wall that I couldn't get my midget cutters around because it was right next to a stud. It cut right through it, minimal burring and did not mis-shape the pipe. It very admirably cut a pvc closet riser flush with the floor.
                  Don't force it. Let the blade do the work.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I recommend the Dremel. I recently used it to cut baseboards and trim around drywall and stud areas for installation of hardwood floors. It seemed to work well and hold its own. Key is to let this tool do the work for you. Don't force it.

Comment

Another thumbs up for the Dremel. Nice tool, good quality. BTW, I read somewhere that HF blades will fit the Dremel...not true.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I have ordered the HF one. Im looking to use it for the scraping capabilities and dont want to spend a ton!!!!

Comment

We've sold a ton of the Dremels they are really good value for the price. Clearly the Fein is a way better tool for remodelers but the Dremel seems to work good for just about everyone else. Haven't tried the HF version but apparently it works good for everyone here. Does anyone know what blades it is compatible with or does it just have one of those flat adaptors?
                          Jay
                          Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
                          Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

My son showed up with the HF variable speed version. $50 on sale. I don't like HF tools most of the time but this thing really does all the stuff you see on the Fein commercial.

I had been playing with the idea of getting the Fein. It's expensive (what isn't these days) but the real expense are the Fein blades, which are insanely high. Plus I've heard that the blade life isn't that great. After using the HF, it does the job. HF blades are a lot less money.

Too bad there isn't one of these that's made in the USA. It's a great tool concept -- it seems like we're using it all the time. There are certain jobs that no other tool can tackle nearly as well. I would pay $300 Fein price if it was USA made. I do worry about HF tools going up in smoke. We'll see. He bought the 2 year warranty for $10 so we'll have it that long, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X