X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all rigid 18V batteries crap?

I bought a Rigid 18V drill in June. The batteries failed right after Christmas. I took it to Shavers service center in Austin Texas (they suck a$$ and are total jerks) and waited 65 day to receive 1 good batt and another bad batt.. I was told to take it back to the crappy service center and go back on their waiting list. Im done with rigid!

but i still need a batt to complete a project. Are the 18V batteries sold at Home Depot crap also?

Thanks.

Re: Are all rigid 18V batteries crap?

I have never owned a RIDGID drill with a battery BUT I have been a member of this forum since 2008 and have noticed a few complaints about the batteries, but I have also read A LOT of success stories as well with replacements, so I wouldn't write of Ridgid as a whole just because of a bad battery

I know that they are American made and if your tool is warrantied I think you can get a new one,

There should be others that will chime in on this thread that will be able to help you further, I just wanted to tell ya that RIDGID tools are awesome, and don't let one battery get you down
    Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 03-05-2010, 07:49 PM.
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Jboogie View Post
      Are the 18V batteries sold at Home Depot crap also
      Sorry to hear about your experience but my Ridgid 18V Ni-cads (2.5Ah) are 5 yr old and still reliable. My Ridgid 18V lithium batteries (1.5/3.0Ah) perform well and I have no problems to report. I exchanged one Ridgid 18V drill a few days after purchase because of excessive chuck wobble. All Ridgid power tools registered for LSA.

FYI: Ridgid batteries purchased separately have the 3yr warranty but no LSA and it sounds like you need to find a better service center

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post

I know that they are American made and if your tool is warrantied I think you can get a new one,

Uhh no their not... at least not the powertools.

Comment

Are all these noobie Ridgid whiney thread/postings crap???
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
            Are all these noobie Ridgid whiney thread/postings crap???
            Maybe we are.. But at least we aren't a-holes!

Comment

I've had an 18-volt (NiCad) circular saw and a hammer drill for at least four years now and the batteries are still going strong with absolutely no problems.

I think most of the complaints have been with the 18-V lithium-ion batteries.

CWS

Comment

I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Jboogie, if you walked into the ASC with the same attitude you came in HERE with, I'm surprised you walked out with your teeth intact. ASCs generally won't go out of their way to accommodate a buttplug.

Just sayin'.
                  "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                    Jboogie, if you walked into the ASC with the same attitude you came in HERE with, I'm surprised you walked out with your teeth intact. ASCs generally won't go out of their way to accommodate a buttplug.

Just sayin'.
                    LOL! At no time would i have any fear of anyone at that place being aggressive toward me while face to face. Over the phone they are total jerks. I didnt have a problem until i called back down there to tell them that the replacement batt was bad. The little Mexican guy copped an attitude with me for asking about their testing procedures (he said they dont test anything sent straight from rigid).

I guess this wasnt a great place to come to to ask about a crappy product (18v lith ion battery) there seem to be way too many rigid fan boys here. After about 30 minutes on the web i found out that rigid lithium ion 18v batteries have been on back order (because of failures) for the last 18 months and are constantly failing. What good is a LSA if it takes 65 days every 6 months to receive 1 good battery?

Comment

... there seem to be way too many rigid fan boys here.
                      Personally, I'm a 100% Milwaukee guy when it comes to cordless.

Don't think for an instant that Ridgid is the only brand having issues with LiIon batteries. Ryobi just recently went through a long-term backorder on their 18v LiIons and you should have seen the absolute FUBAR situation that Dewalt went through a few years back. It's just Ridgid's turn in the barrel.
                      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

The problem is, nobody makes their own batteries. Only a handful of manufactures make batteries. If one of them spits out a bad batch, a lot of companies are effected.

When Sony spit's out a crap load of bad cells, and Dewalt is the one buying those particular cells. Dewalt takes the bad wrap publicly, and not Sony.

Comment

Amen brother!

Comment

Jboogie.....Maybe you aren't, however I would suggest that your communication style is a little weak. To start your relationship with a Brand name forum by using "suck, crap, crappy, jerks" to describe anything and everyone related to that brand name, in your first post is not the best way to encourage cheerful assistance.
                            In the spirit of ignoring your anger and attempting to get into providing assistance I will suggest the following. I don't know where you heard the old rumor about battery back orders, but I don't believe that info is currently accurate. I recently replaced 4 18V LI batts and the service center owner told me that there had been a problem with 18V LI batts which had been corrected and there is plenty of inventory now.
                            I did a search on Ridgid service centers in the Austin area and found the below in addition to the one you have already listed. I would call Altaquip and ask them if they have any of your batteries in stock and if they have the testing equipment in their store. If they do I would take the defective battery to them for replacement. I know of no reason why you would be required to exchange a defective battery at the same store you received it from, especially if they don't have any in stock. Good luck....Ray
                            Name Location Phone/Fax
                            3.2 MILES - Shaver Service Center
                            4631 AIRPORT BLVD SUITE 119
                            Austin, TX 78751 Tel: (512) 454-5848
                            Fax: No Fax Available
                            15.5 MILES- ALTAQUIP - AUSTIN
                            380 DROSSETT DRIVE SUITE C
                            AUSTIN, TX 78744 Tel: (512) 428-4859

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                              Jboogie.....Maybe you aren't, however I would suggest that your communication style is a little weak. To start your relationship with a Brand name forum by using "suck, crap, crappy, jerks" to describe anything and everyone related to that brand name, in your first post is not the best way to encourage cheerful assistance.
                              In the spirit of ignoring your anger and attempting to get into providing assistance I will suggest the following. I don't know where you heard the old rumor about battery back orders, but I don't believe that info is currently accurate. I recently replaced 4 18V LI batts and the service center owner told me that there had been a problem with 18V LI batts which had been corrected and there is plenty of inventory now.
                              I did a search on Ridgid service centers in the Austin area and found the below in addition to the one you have already listed. I would call Altaquip and ask them if they have any of your batteries in stock and if they have the testing equipment in their store. If they do I would take the defective battery to them for replacement. I know of no reason why you would be required to exchange a defective battery at the same store you received it from, especially if they don't have any in stock. Good luck....Ray
                              Name Location Phone/Fax
                              3.2 MILES - Shaver Service Center
                              4631 AIRPORT BLVD SUITE 119
                              Austin, TX 78751 Tel: (512) 454-5848
                              15.5 MILES- ALTAQUIP - AUSTIN
                              380 DROSSETT DRIVE SUITE C
                              AUSTIN, TX 78744 Tel: (512) 428-4859
                              My opinion of Rigid and Shavers center are just that, MY opinion. I am not asking anyone to trash their Rigid tool because for my experience. But my opinion is what it is. My Opinion..
                              I have owned and dealt with representatives from Milwalke, Ryobi, Black and Decker and Dewalt and never had a bad experience. My opinion of the batteries is that they are crap (thus all the failures). My opinion of the service center is that they suck and are jerks. If u cop an attitude with a customer just because they dont understand "your" process (or lack of) and want to ask question, as a representative of Rigid u are not presenting a good image of the company and why would i want a repeat performance every time i have a problem. I work hard for my moeny and dont need to buy products that fail and then i have to take flack from the people that try to fix it.. Thats not something i want to pay for..

Comment

Working...
                              X