X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 18V Drill - Charger Flashing "Defective" - Advice Sought

Hi folks. On the recommendation of a friend, I just bought a brand new Ridgid 18V Li-Ion drill. Unfortunately, fresh out of the box, both batteries indicate as "defective" in the charger.

The batteries contained charges upon arrival, and the drill works with them, but I'm wondering:

a) Is this normal for a new set, or is something actually wrong? (Naturally, I would expect the charger to indicate either "charged" or "charging", not "defective". Everything is at room temperature.)

b) Based on what I've read here tonight on this forum about Ridgid's 18V battery problems, I'm having second thoughts about this purchase. If this is truly abnormal, should I get an exchange, or a refund and look elsewhere?

Any advice from the forum is welcome.

Re: New 18V Drill - Charger Flashing "Defective" - Advice Sought

I noticed that once in a while I throw my LI batteries in to the charger and they flash as defective, but then I remove and replace them in the charger. Then they seem to charge with no problems.
    Last edited by pipsqueek; 05-03-2010, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pipsqueek View Post
      I noticed that once in a while I throw my 18v LI batteries in to the charger and they flash as defective, but then I remove and replace them in the charger. Then they seem to charge with no problems.
      This worked for me as well. I have a feeling it's the protection circuitry built into the batteries getting confused. Like rebooting your computer when it's acting squirrely.

Comment

Typically, whenever you buy a device using lithium ion batteries what did you read in the operating instructions?

"Charge batteries before using them"!

Most batteries have a minimal charge when new in the packaging of a tool or device. I won't go into technical details here.....but, if you run uncharged lithium ion batteries "dead" sometimes the protection circuit may not permit the batteries to recharge!

Bottom line try charging them again as the others mentioned.

Cactus Man

Comment

they should start including a bear trap with those kits, so if you don't charge the batteries before first use, and try to slap them on the drill, you get your hands mangled.

Comment

Working...
          X