Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to buy a 12v li-ion drill...

Hi All! I'm new to the site.

I need to buy cordless drill that is compact and pretty lightweight. I tried out some impact drivers but they are kinda noisy, and more so, when you work in a tight space. I'd like to keep it under $150 preferably... I'm pretty set on getting a 12v since I won't need it for any heavy duty drilling. So far, I'm torn between the Milwaukee M12 drill/driver #2410-20, the Bosch #PS30-2A and the Ridgid #R92008... Or?
    Basically, I just need to last me a long time. I'm renovating homes on a regular basis and I find that I use this type of tool probably the most, primarily for driving screws and some occasional drilling.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by dinandriver; 03-11-2010, 05:34 AM.

Re: Need to buy a 12v li-ion drill...

As a long-time Milwaukee user, I'm probably a little biased.
    I have 6 of the M12 tools, including the drill-driver and use
    it on a daily basis. The only issue I've had is with the batteries,
    having to replace 4 of the 1st generation issues. Took them to
    the Milwaukee service guy and got new ones under warranty.
    There is supposedly an extended run time M12 battery in the
    offing, but has yet come to market.

Comment

Ironically I was just in the same spot you were. I needed to replace the cheap cordless drill I had with something I could rely on for small jobs. If you're set on 12v then the milwaukee is the best. Hands down. They have a pretty good selection of 12v tools as well so you're batteries can be utilized efficiently. I almost got one but I needed a reciprocating saw as well so I started looking at combo kits. Milwaukee had a 12v combo with impact driver and saw for $199 but the Home Depot guy told me I should go online to see more kits before I bought it. Boy am I glad I did because for the same price I found a Ridgid compact drill and saw 18v combo kit! The drill by itself retails at that price at HD so I jumped on it. Should arrive here on Monday. I like the idea of 18v tools for the versatility of the batteries but if 12v is what you're set on, stick with Milwaukee.

Comment

I have two of the Bosch 12 Vs that I have used daily for two years. No battery problems/issues. I don't even get out my bigger drills anymore.

Big G

Comment

I have the Ridgid and love it! What sold me on the Ridgid originally was it was the only one at the time that had a chuck and an adjustable clutch. That was a selling point for me, I could not do without it. I like the options for additional tools that Milwaukee offers but am glad that Ridgid finally came out with some new options even if the nail driver head would never hold to my use. Just my 2cents.

Comment

Well, I went to Lowes and HD and picked up the Milwaukee M12 and the Bosch... I put them both to a little test this morning and both have their pros and cons.

For the Milwaukee:
            Pros :
            Has slightly more power over the Bosch
            has the battery gauge which is great
            A little less money than the Bosch (because it's on sale)
            5 year warranty
            Cons:
            Not as comfortable to hold compared to the Bosch

For the Bosch:
            Very smooth and quiet
            Fits the palm of your hand better than the Milwaukee
            Cons:
            No battery gauge
            Only 3 year warranty

Hmmm... well, it looks like the Milwaukee has more pros. But which one is built better? Metal gears, etc.
            The guy at HD told me that since Milwaukee got bought by Ryobi, they are tending more to mass market and cheapening their stuff by making it in China (although the Bosch in made in Malaysia)... Is this true?

Comment

I've got a 10.8v (12v peak), mini driver by Hitachi that I love. Never used the others, but this one is the first one I grab for most tasks. It's light, reasonably priced, holds a charge well, and has ample power for most tasks short of driving 3" lag screws.

Comment

dinandriver,

Regarding your question about "Ryobi" and "Milwaukee" relationship: The parent company is called "Techtronics International" (TTI) which is a Hong Kong-based company that was started by a British guy a few decades ago. Like many global companies, they have a few subsidiaries and own several "brands". One of the subsidiaries is "One World Technologies" which owns the Ryobi tool group and provides service and repair parts for Ryobi, Ridgid, and the Craftsman brand of tools. TTI purchase Milwaukee a couple of years ago. In 2003, they entered into an agreement with Emerson Electric to manufacture all of the Ridgid-brand stationary power woodworking tools and also introduce a line of hand-held power tools using the "Ridgid" brand name. (All of these Ridgid-brand, TTI built tools are orange in color.) These tools also have a 90-day satisfaction guarantee and a 3-year warranty. With registration, TTI also covers these particular "Ridgid" brand tools with a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement which replaces most components, including batteries and chargers for properly cared for tools.

(Ridgid plumbing, electrical, and other manual hand tools, as well as shop vacuums are not part of the TTI agreement and are, to my knowledge still made by Emerson Electric through their own subsidiaries. Emerson, Ridgid, and Ridge Tool offer their own warrantees and service programs.)

In addition to the Ryobi, Ridgid (power tools), and Milwaukee power tools, TTI owns Homelite, Dirt Devil, and several other brand names.

To my knowledge, Milwaukee is still maintaining it's U.S. manufacturing facilities. However, it stands to reason that certain components and assemblies will be sourced from the best economical source which is the basis of most "global" manufacturing conglomerates.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I have the M12 Drill and love the chuck. But it is a little heavy.

Also have the Makita 10.8 impactor and drill. Very light and powerfull. Great variable speed control.

I have a bosch as well but not impressed with the weight or the RPMs/BPMs.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                    dinandriver,

Regarding your question about "Ryobi" and "Milwaukee" relationship: The parent company is called "Techtronics International" (TTI) which is a Hong Kong-based company that was started by a British guy a few decades ago. Like many global companies, they have a few subsidiaries and own several "brands". One of the subsidiaries is "One World Technologies" which owns the Ryobi tool group and provides service and repair parts for Ryobi, Ridgid, and the Craftsman brand of tools. TTI purchase Milwaukee a couple of years ago. In 2003, they entered into an agreement with Emerson Electric to manufacture all of the Ridgid-brand stationary power woodworking tools and also introduce a line of hand-held power tools using the "Ridgid" brand name. (All of these Ridgid-brand, TTI built tools are orange in color.) These tools also have a 90-day satisfaction guarantee and a 3-year warranty. With registration, TTI also covers these particular "Ridgid" brand tools with a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement which replaces most components, including batteries and chargers for properly cared for tools.

(Ridgid plumbing, electrical, and other manual hand tools, as well as shop vacuums are not part of the TTI agreement and are, to my knowledge still made by Emerson Electric through their own subsidiaries. Emerson, Ridgid, and Ridge Tool offer their own warrantees and service programs.)

In addition to the Ryobi, Ridgid (power tools), and Milwaukee power tools, TTI owns Homelite, Dirt Devil, and several other brand names.

To my knowledge, Milwaukee is still maintaining it's U.S. manufacturing facilities. However, it stands to reason that certain components and assemblies will be sourced from the best economical source which is the basis of most "global" manufacturing conglomerates.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                    Amazing information! Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone!

I'm going to look into the Ridgid but I think the Milwaukee will be the one...

Comment

Originally posted by dinandriver View Post
                        Thanks for the input everyone!

I'm going to look into the Ridgid but I think the Milwaukee will be the one...

M12 has the best chuck and battery and has the highest torque, there is nothing to think about. Bosch is the weakest among Ridgid and M12. Also milwaukee makes a 6-cell XC M12 battery which gives you double the runtime and 1.5x torque compared to a regular (3-cell) battery. Neither ridgid nor bosch make 6-cell batteries. Makita 10.8 is the worst, don't buy it.

I used all 4 drills.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                          M12 has the best chuck and battery and has the highest torque, there is nothing to think about. Bosch is the weakest among Ridgid and M12. Also milwaukee makes a 6-cell XC M12 battery which gives you double the runtime and 1.5x torque compared to a regular (3-cell) battery. Neither ridgid nor bosch make 6-cell batteries. Makita 10.8 is the worst, don't buy it.

I used all 4 drills.
                          Thanks for the input. Do you know if the M12 has all metal gears?

Comment

Originally posted by dinandriver View Post
                            Hi All! I'm new to the site.

I need to buy cordless drill that is compact and pretty lightweight.
                            Thanks in advance!
                            Since you're looking for compact and lightweight you need to go with Makita. Granted it's a 1/4" hex chuck

Comment

Originally posted by the2js97 View Post
                              Since you're looking for compact and lightweight you need to go with Makita. Granted it's a 1/4" hex chuck
                              Thanks, but I'm just not that crazy about the hex... I need the versatility of the adjustable chuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X