PALs for 3660

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PALs for 3660

Can someone please tell me what they are?

Re: PALs for 3660

Do you mean "pawls"... I know there's a big fan club for the saw, and I guess one could say that the 3650 and 3660 series has lots of "pals" , I think you're talking about the "pawls".

"Pawls" (at least that's what I known them as) are the anti kick-back teeth that sit near the rear of the blade guard where they ride on the work piece as it passes through the saw blade. (On some saws, it is a integral part of the Blade Guard/Riving Knife [or Splitter] Assembly.) They are usually spring loaded, cut sheet-steel teeth that point in the direction of travel (away from the saw blade and operator, toward the outfeed side of the table.

While they normally ride on top of the stock, the angle, sharpness, and spring force of the mechanism, will immediately bite into the stock, if any attempt is made to reverse it's direction. The idea is that they will bite into the stock and keep the saw blade from kicking it back at the operator, in the event that there is any binding with the rotating blade.

Pawls should always be kept clean and sharp to ensure that they prevent such kickback. Regardless of the table saw design, blade speed, or horsepower, the force of a kickback can be of such power as to break bones, seriously lacerate, or even kill an operator. A few years ago, someone posted a picture of a kickback that had missed the operator, but had travel across the shop and logged itself into a door panel, like a spear! So, anti-kickback "pawls" are a very important safety feature.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I think he means the alignment PALs that are installed
      under the table to aide with blade alignment.

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/saw_pals.html
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

That's it. Thanks!!

Comment

Doesn't the 3660 have a built in system that is similar to the aftermarket PAL's System which means that you don't need the aftermarket one? I know my 3612 does so I'm assuming the 3650 and the 3660 do also.
          ================================================== ====
          All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Man, I love this forum.... everyday I learn something new.

Obviously I didn't have a clue

Thanks Bob D,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              Doesn't the 3660 have a built in system that is similar to the aftermarket PAL's System which means that you don't need the aftermarket one? I know my 3612 does so I'm assuming the 3650 and the 3660 do also.
              Yep...the 3650/3660 already have an alignment adjustment...no need for PALS.

Here's what they look like though:

Comment

Working...
              X