Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another 18v lithiun problem??

CW SMITH
    Sorry about PNW. Should have been Pacific NW. I know what you mean about Lithium shutting down. With the fast recharge two batteries I don’t have a problem with that. Not like Ni Cad. It take 8hr to charge. My smaller 9V is years old still works good also. But dose not last long in power as when new. Also lacks power for bigger jobs . This 18V Lithium Has lots of that. I think Lithium may become the battery in most applications in the future. Time will tell, As to the instructions as to storage I would ask, where in this country does it stay 50 degrees 24/7/365? the instructions should read. Store 50%charged keep in house when not in use and don’t turn the heat down at night. If temp is a problem it should be made very clear. Again as the rep told me this is not a problem. So what side to lean on?

Comment

Just got some more real good information. I was in Home Depot went by the tool section. Saw a guy moving tools around. Come to find out he was the field rep for several tools under one company. We had a along talk about power tools. Said everyone is changing to Lithium. That cold weather will not hurt a Lithium batt. Only discharge faster. I told him I had a bad 18V batt. He said he has seen a few fail. Most with a lot date 08-wk 40 to 08-wk 52. Maybe fist couple week 09. He said he would give me a new batt on the spot but I had already turned it in to the mom and pop appliance store. If I don’t have it in 2 week get it back and he will exchange it. Would like to have his service all the time. Got home and my batt was made before that time frame. Hope this may help others with 18V or any Lithium batt.

Comment

Originally posted by elkman12 View Post
        Just got some more real good information. I was in Home Depot went by the tool section. Saw a guy moving tools around. Come to find out he was the field rep for several tools under one company. We had a along talk about power tools. Said everyone is changing to Lithium. That cold weather will not hurt a Lithium batt. Only discharge faster. I told him I had a bad 18V batt. He said he has seen a few fail. Most with a lot date 08-wk 40 to 08-wk 52. Maybe fist couple week 09. He said he would give me a new batt on the spot but I had already turned it in to the mom and pop appliance store. If I don’t have it in 2 week get it back and he will exchange it. Would like to have his service all the time. Got home and my batt was made before that time frame. Hope this may help others with 18V or any Lithium batt.
        OK Let's try to get to a solution for your original complaint, which was that you had left 18V LI batts in an unheated garage for several months over the winter in OR. We are a professional contractor located in the Northeast and have used Ridgid 18 and 24V LI batts for several years. We use LI batts all the time to operate tools in freezing temps. We have found that any time LI batts are left outside overnight in an unheated truck or whatever and the temps go below 40 degrees that the performance will be negatively impacted. I lived in Oregon for several years and am confident that there is nowhere in Oregon where the temps don't get in the 30's overnight for some period in the winter. Leaving LI batts in an unheated garage in the 30's will render them unusable after only one or two nights. They will recharge and be fine. If you are operating a tool with a LI batt it will run at close to full power until the controller chip in it shuts it off. The tool will stop and you must recharge it. This is how the battery is designed to operate and it will not be harmed. An entirely different dynamic takes place when you leave a LI batt for several months in an unheated garage where it will be exposed to 30 degree temps. The battery slowly self discharges to zero due to the balancing chip. Exposing the LI batt to 30 degree temps when it has self discharged to zero can cause damage. If you want to continue to use Ridgid LI batts I suggest you do the following.
        1-They all have a balancing chip in them that discharges the batts over time. I would stick them in the charger every month or so for ten minutes to keep them from discharging to low.
        2-Never leave them in an unheated garage for periods of weeks if the temps are dropping below 40. Bring them into a heated area in the winter or be prepared to have continuing problems.....Ray
        Last edited by roadrashray; 03-23-2010, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Ray
          Original problem battery was bad. Nothing to do with cold weather. As to sitting around in cold weather it sounds like, charge/temperature/time=how strong the batteries will next time used. Not strong enough to run tool, then recharge. After talking to two reps this is what it adds up to. I'm happy!!

Comment

Originally Posted by elkman12
            I sure hopped to get some GOOD technical a information on this forum. Doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
            dont judge the forum from just this thread there are some good people on here that do know a thing or two
            I just bought my first Ridgid drill, a R86007N for $99. Got one heck of a great PROMO deal. Only one battery was included, so Ridgid is sending me the 2nd battery.

Back to the above comments, I sure hope so..... I had a couple questions about my drill so I have read many threads and it seems there are a few people who get down right nasty and hateful. Also allot of arguing going on, not a good thing to have on a Ridgid forum which promote their product.

After weeding thru some BS post, I did find the answers to my question. THose questions where is sparks normal and is the clanking sound normal in just high speed when drill stops. I found both are normal.

In my opinion.....
            This is no way for a forum to be ran, maybe it should be more moderated and hateful post removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Musky8it View Post
              Originally Posted by elkman12
              I sure hopped to get some GOOD technical a information on this forum. Doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.

I just bought my first Ridgid drill, a R86007N for $99. Got one heck of a great PROMO deal. Only one battery was included, so Ridgid is sending me the 2nd battery.

Back to the above comments, I sure hope so..... I had a couple questions about my drill so I have read many threads and it seems there are a few people who get down right nasty and hateful. Also allot of arguing going on, not a good thing to have on a Ridgid forum which promote their product.

After weeding thru some BS post, I did find the answers to my question. THose questions where is sparks normal and is the clanking sound normal in just high speed when drill stops. I found both are normal.

In my opinion.....
              This is no way for a forum to be ran, maybe it should be more moderated and hateful post removed.
              most of the haters are dewalt or other tool fans who come on to heckel others.

Comment

Working...
              X