X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 18v lithiun problem??

I bought a drill last year with 18v lithium batteries. Charged in 20 min. Things looked grate. My first lithium batteries. They sat over winter in my garage. Both dead. Took longer than 20 min to charge this time. Used one for a couple min to do about 10 screws. Went out the next day and the battery will not drill a hole. Needs recharged. Any thing wrong with them or what to expect? I hoped for great things over Ni Cad.

Re: Another 18v lithiun problem??

Originally posted by elkman12 View Post
    I bought a drill last year with 18v lithium batteries. Charged in 20 min. Things looked grate. My first lithium batteries. They sat over winter in my garage. Both dead. Took longer than 20 min to charge this time. Used one for a couple min to do about 10 screws. Went out the next day and the battery will not drill a hole. Needs recharged. Any thing wrong with them or what to expect? I hoped for great things over Ni Cad.
    Overdischarged and probably damaged with severe capacity loss. It's your own fault because you did not take proper care of them.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
      Overdischarged and probably damaged with severe capacity loss. It's your own fault because you did not take proper care of them.

huh> how do you figure? from what he said......just curious , no dis-respect.
      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
      New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

"I bought a drill last year with 18v lithium batteries. Charged in 20 min. Things looked grate. My first lithium batteries. They sat over winter in my garage. Both dead. Took longer than 20 min to charge this time. Used one for a couple min to do about 10 screws. Went out the next day and the battery will not drill a hole. Needs recharged. Any thing wrong with them or what to expect? "

Based on the information provided it appears that over-discharging ruined these lithium batteries. Manufacturers should provided additional information about maximizing the life of lithium batteries. Check out your manufacturer's warranty for assistance

Comment

Last year was only three months ago. The OP stated no specific date.

Elkman12,
          I would call Ridgid for the nearest service center.

Good luck,
          Ern

Comment

Well here is the story. May disappoint some people. One batt is good one is bad. After playing phone tag. I talking to service center rep. Said "you could not over discharge a Lithium batt". Not like the old NiCad. Sitting 3-4 months should have no ill effects. Will be getting a new one under warranty as per my local Ridgid repair rep. Ridgid rep said they do make a bad batt once in a while. I guess made in China so what ells is new.

Comment

Said "you could not over discharge a Lithium batt"
              He is full of ****. ONLY IF you left a like-new battery, fully charged in a heated garage for less than 6 months it won't overdischarge. If it was half-drained, or exposed to cold weather, it can easily overdischarge within weeks.

PS: Chinese QA standards often exceed US because their jobs and contracts are at stake when it comes to end product, while US workers are overpaid unionized jackasses. Quality is often dictated by the US office. The reason why there is bad quality product is your own fault - stop buying low grade stuff, regardless of where it is made, and it will go away from the market. Since most people are cheap, they promote the market growth. It's all in supply and demand. Don't like chinese, buy german-made Festool drills for $700.
              Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 03-22-2010, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I sure hopped to get some GOOD technical a information on this forum. Doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.

Comment

I sure hopped to get some GOOD technical a information on this forum. Doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.
                  dont judge the forum from just this thread there are some good people on here that do know a thing or two
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

It matters little as to where the battery is made... everybody makes a bad battery on occasion, much like any other product.

I am no expert, but from what I have read Lithium batteries do not hold a charge very well in cold weather and batteries that are below freezing, will not normally charge at all. On my 12-volt LiIon battery the instructions suggest 50 to 100 degrees for "best results". It also clearly states that the batteries should NOT be stored outside or in vehicles.

The instructions go on to say, "Store the battery pack in a 30% to 50% charged condition" and to recharge every "six months of storage".

CWS

Comment

please define "GOOD technical a information".

I pretty much guarantee you haven't even tried using Search. This forum is stuffed with good information, but you have to work for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                        He is full of ****. ONLY IF you left a like-new battery, fully charged in a heated garage for less than 6 months it won't overdischarge. If it was half-drained, or exposed to cold weather, it can easily overdischarge within weeks.

PS: Chinese QA standards often exceed US because their jobs and contracts are at stake when it comes to end product, while US workers are overpaid unionized jackasses. Quality is often dictated by the US office. The reason why there is bad quality product is your own fault - stop buying low grade stuff, regardless of where it is made, and it will go away from the market. Since most people are cheap, they promote the market growth. It's all in supply and demand. Don't like chinese, buy german-made Festool drills for $700.
                        $700 drill? What laborer buys a $700 drill. Maybe Oprahs maintanance guy! Actually sounds like government spending!

Comment

CW Smith
                          Your statement is the kind of thing I’m talking about. I too read that in the literature. But I see if you charge a batt at 30% 50%, it sure will be dead in a month. So their statement as to storeage for any time doesn’t seem to work in the real world. Lithium Batteries are pretty new. and I understand much better Ni-cad or Ni-Metal. I live in the PNW. Never freezes much. So I guess I would ask, How are Lithium Batteries holding up in real cold areas. How long has some one been using one. How many people report getting bad ones? If what the service rep tells me is true then every one should be read happy. When I was ordering a new batt a fellow asked how I liked my drill. Said he had a smaller one with Lithium for couple years. Doesn’t use it much but has no problems and loves it. The only person I ever talked to that has a Lithium Batt

Comment

Elkman,

I'm not familiar with "PNW", so don't know where you live. But here in New York State it does get below freezing for a good part of the winter. I do a lot of traveling between the Corning, NY and Binghamton, NY areas (about 75 miles apart) as I live in one place and have been working on a future home for too many years now. I do NOT leave any of my cordless tools in the vehicle overnight, especially in the cold weather months.

While I am NOT in the trades, I do have a number of tools and with the future home I'm using them almost every week. My cordless tools are all Ridgid with both 14.4- and 18-volt drills and an 18-volt circ saw. I also have a 9.6-volt pivot driver; all of these are NiCads and are around four or five years old. I have only one Lithium-ion tool, the Ridgid 12-volt drill-driver, which is now over 2 years old.

The four NiCad batteries have held up very well and though they are not used every day and sometimes not even for a few weeks, when I am consentrating on work in the shop. But, the NiCads are still going strong, take a charge well and will power me through a few days of on and off use, as well as store a charge for several weeks.

The 12-volt Lithium-ion tool is small so I grab it first when I need to drill a few holes or drive some smaller screws. It came with two batteries, but honestly I have to remember to swap them around and neither seems to ever need a charge... they just seem to always have power.

However, when it comes to hard work/torque, my NiCad 9.6 pivot driver is the tool that I prefer. Though rated lower, it easily out powers the 12-volt. Likewise, any of the NiCad tools will handle heavy torque loads with no problem. The 12-volt Lithium will simply shut down when worked hard, because the electronic protection circuit of the battery will shut it off before it heats up. I don't particularly like this feature, but as yet it appears to protect the battery from damage, and though it has shut down on me twice, once cooled it takes and holds the charge like new.

Bottom line, the little drill driver is okay for small jobs... but for real work, I'll stick with the NiCads.

The only problem with that is everybody wants more power; and that means bigger, heavier batteries... unless you go to Lithium-ion. By the number of complaints that I see posted, it appear that Lithium-ion poses a lot of operational problems. It also seems evident that people aren't reading the instructions that are supplied with the battery and charger and, of course, with them "not working like NiCads" there's a bit of dissatisfaction.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                              $700 drill? What laborer buys a $700 drill. Maybe Oprahs maintanance guy! Actually sounds like government spending!
                              go to canadianwoodworking forums and post that, they will eat you alive. Festool miter saw Kapex cost $1600

Comment

Working...
                              X