No announcement yet.

Random Orbit Sander problem with PSA sanding disc

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Orbit Sander problem with PSA sanding disc

Ok, so I am new with this but I've used the Random Orbit Sander R2600 for a few projects over the past 5 years. Today, the pressure Sensitive Adhesive sanding Pad tore away, or came unglued, or separated from the area below it. I took out the 4 screws that hold that in, but not sure what to do to put another pad on to not have this happen again.

any thoughts?

Re: Random Orbit Sander problem with PSA sanding disc

Don't put so much downward pressure on the sander when you sand, let the sander do the work. To often it's a common practice for people to do this but all it really accomplishes is prematurely wearing out the sander and the pad.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

First you will need a new disc. The main culprits in the sanding pad's demise (PSA for certain but also applies to hook & Loop) are heat and chemicals

Heat from friction, caused by the sandpaper loading up with soft coating, bearing down on it too hard, or just using it until all the grit is gone, will cause the pad surface to unglue from the foam/rubber base.

Chemicals, like it gets when wet sanding with mineral spirits or thinner, or using WD-40, etc when wet sanding metal, will also deteriorate the rubber base pad. Some of the glue cleaners used to get the glue residue off the pad can also deteriorate it. Never use acetone or lacquer thinner, as they will dissolve the base pad.

Sometimes the deterioration just continues after the sander is put up, and when you go to use it, the rubber starts crumbling. I had that happen to me after using Goo-Gone cleaner on one, so now I use a rag dampened with denatured alcohol.

Biggest culprit is usually heat from friction, tho, so either clean your discs when they start loading up (with one of the gum eraser type cleaning sticks, or also a wire file card will work on heavy (40 grit) etc that is loaded up with soft coating) or change them more often.

IF your discs are tearing when you are trying to remove them, you either need to change them earlier, or go to a better quality disc. I have had good luck with 3M gold and green discs, bought in the 100 or 500 disc roll at an automotive shop like Car Quest, etc. Klingspors (aka the woodworking shop) also has some good quality if you have one near you or want to go to for web ordering. However, they have all grades, so the inexpensive ones, which I use for coating removal etc as they are "use once then throw away", will not last long.

Hope relating some of my experiences helps you

Practicing at practical wood working

It's probably a stupid question on my part, but are you talking about the PSA pad (I know that is what you said) which is smooth and you use "sticky-back" adhesive paper with it... or are you talking about the hook & loop (Velcro) pad, and are saying that the hook & loop layer came off?

I ask that, because if you are using the sander in a manner that heats up the disk, and then attempt to peel off the hook & loop-back sandpaper, that "layer" will have a tendency to lift off (come unglued) if you are not careful.

I've seen that start to happen a couple of times (yes, I do sometimes get carried away and apply too much pressure on occasion ). So, if the pad is overly warm, it's best to let it cool for a moment, so the adhesive they've used holds the hook & loop surface securely to the pad base.

However, once it's removed you may have a problem putting it back on as it's probably ruined with sawdust.

If you are truly talking about PSA base pad, then I don't have an answer, as I've not used that. Actually I'm under the impression that there was no "layer" of material on that base pad to come off.... I'll have to take a closer look I guess.

After five years of fairly heavy use, I did wear out the hook & loop pad and had to order a new replacement about a year ago. The old one would no longer securely hold the sand paper in place.

Last edited by CWSmith; 03-22-2010, 06:44 PM.