Need to bay a miter saw... Laser?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to bay a miter saw... Laser?

I'm going to be installing baseboards in a few of my houses within the next couple of weeks and ned to add a miter saw to my collection ... My budget is right around $150. I saw a couple of Hitachi saws at Lowes for around that price tag. One had a laser and the other was $40 less without the laser. Do you guys think a laser is a good gizmo to have or is it a waist? Also, any other recommendations?
    Thanks!

Re: Need to bay a miter saw... Laser?

Not all lasers are created equal, some work while others are a total waste of money. The laser that came with my CMS was one of the latter so I never use it. It takes little to no time to line up your cut with the blade anyways so for me they are a waste of money, YRMV.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by dinandriver View Post
      I'm going to be installing baseboards in a few of my houses within the next couple of weeks and ned to add a miter saw to my collection ... My budget is right around $150. I saw a couple of Hitachi saws at Lowes for around that price tag. One had a laser and the other was $40 less without the laser. Do you guys think a laser is a good gizmo to have or is it a waist? Also, any other recommendations?
      Thanks!
      Mark the wood with a knife, put your blade tooth on the line. Doubtful if a laser could even be close to that level of accuracy. The laser line is much wider than a knife scribe. The lasers are for rough framing type of work, getting the blade "close enough" to the pencil line on a long and unwieldy piece of construction lumber.

I do wish my tile tub saw had a laser. That's a whole different problem though.

Comment

It depends on the laser, primarily where it is mounted. (In that position, it moves up and down with the blade and therefore is always well to the right of the kerf line.) I believe that in most cases, the laser is mounted directly on the arbor and in that position, I don't see where it is much more than an nuisance and at best it's a "sort of close" reference that get's a lot of complaints because it's NOT at all accurate.

Personally, I'd probably skip it and, as was supplied, on my Ridgid 10-inch CMS, it isn't used.

CWS

Comment

Well thanks guys. Now I just have to decide wether to go Hitachi or Ridgid. The Hitachi is nice and compact and on sale for $110...

Comment

Working...
          X