X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant beleive ridgids batterys !!!!!

ok im kinda new posted once or twice ive got 3 ridgid sets had to replace my compact batts! no problem got new batts 3 months old one keeps shutting down when i drive a 5 inch lag into pt???? and i have a new set not even 3 months old with the big batts and they went bad what is up with these lith batts???? nicads go and go and go my ryobis outlast the ridgid batterys!!!!! my dewalts blow them away i bought ridgid for the warrenty but i cant build anything with tools that dont work i bought 2 nicads for my cheap ryobis and they have been working well its sad ... i dont think lith batts are better at all! and they cut out when worked to hard! anyone else experianced this??????

Re: cant beleive ridgids batterys !!!!!

Stubnail,

IMO, that's lithium batteries! Lithium batteries just won't handle heavy load conditions in my experience. They were an initial problem with laptops, until power drain and charge levels were redesigned to minimize the load conditions. Big advantage to Lithium is that it stores a lot of power per weight/size and will hold that power for a long time, unless subjected to cold temperatures. (In the cold they loose power quickly.)

Some will argue this point, but what is, IS and there have been an awful lot of complaints about Lithium batteries in power tools.

You should have received an instruction sheet with your batteries and I suggest you give it a review. Lithium-ion batteries have a protection circuit that keeps the battery from overheating under load and it will shut the tool down until the battery cools.

As you have noted, NiCads have a much higher tolerance and work quite well under load. Most of my Ridgid cordless are NiCad powered and I have only a single 12-volt drill/driver that is powered via Lithium-ion. Though the torque rating is higher on the 12-volt, my 9-volt pivot driver will easily out perform it, under load conditions.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

it does i kinda thought it was along those lines ... i dont use cordless tools everyday but when i use them im hard on them as im used to corded tools ive always had nicads im wishing i would not have switched... i guess the fix would be to buy a couple of the 2.5 nicads in 18 volt if i can find them at a good price! thanks for the input cw.

Comment

Originally posted by stubnail View Post
        ok im kinda new posted once or twice ive got 3 ridgid sets had to replace my compact batts! no problem got new batts 3 months old one keeps shutting down when i drive a 5 inch lag into pt???? and i have a new set not even 3 months old with the big batts and they went bad what is up with these lith batts???? nicads go and go and go my ryobis outlast the ridgid batterys!!!!! my dewalts blow them away i bought ridgid for the warrenty but i cant build anything with tools that dont work i bought 2 nicads for my cheap ryobis and they have been working well its sad ... i dont think lith batts are better at all! and they cut out when worked to hard! anyone else experianced this??????
        Stub......Is it OK if I call you by your first name? Old CW gave you the good skinny on LI batts, just wanted to add a couple of points. You state you are trying to drive 5" lags into "pt". I don't know what "pt" is, however if it is some type of wood, driving a 5" lag is a load for any cordless tool, especially if you are attempting it with a drill. When we drive any lags these days we use impact tools and for 5" lags we would only use either the 24 volt impact or the 14.4 impact. Yup, that's correct the old 14.4 impact will out drive any Ridgid 18V impact I have used.
        If you still have the "bad" LI batts, I suggest you talk with your local Ridgid service center as they might be wiling to sub the Nicad batts for the defective LI's. Worth a try. If that doesn't work I would try calling Ridgid headquarters customer service as they might authorize such a swap. They are pretty customer friendly and that would seem reasonable for a customer who is having problems with three LI sets. If that doesn't work I suggest eBay to buy new 18V Nicad batts.
        Good luck and let us know how it goes....Ray

Comment

Pressure Treated.
          Patio

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Pressure Treated.
            Patio
            Duh! Thanks......It's nice that trades can come over to the other side and help the challenged.
            I have some great memories of Ventura from the 70's when I was selling equipment to the oil companies in the area. Spent some time on the platforms out there also. Is the Pierpont still there? Sorry I hijacked this thread. Should have pm'd.
            Thanks, Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
              Duh! Thanks......It's nice that trades can come over to the other side and help the challenged.
              I have some great memories of Ventura from the 70's when I was selling equipment to the oil companies in the area. Spent some time on the platforms out there also. Is the Pierpont still there? Sorry I hijacked this thread. Should have pm'd.
              Thanks, Ray
              err.. come over to the other side? lol, what???

Comment

hi well i was using my impact and it couldnt handle it either umm i did get new batterys no problems in that and so far i buried about 50 straight with the larger size lithiom ions knock on wood they seem to work the small batterys work for predrilling etc but not much more pt was pressure treated wood i would love to get a set of nicads and i may just buy a set as they dont seem to have a breaker in them ! yea my father in law has the old 14.4 nicad impact its a lil beast! so far so good with my new batterys hope they last a year this time before i have to trade them in LOL

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                  Thanks, Ray
                  I do alot of concrete,framing,Blah,Blah,Blah.Helps make plumbing easier when you can tell another trade how to do his job when he's being lazy.

Pierpont's there

Please excuse me on jack

Comment

I had a similar problem with the compact 18V batts....wouldn't drive a 3inch deck screw. I've since aquired 4 of the big boy batteries, and I couldn't be happier. I use a proper impact for 5 inch lags, but I haven't been able to stall the drill on anything halfway reasonable with the big batteries. Ridgid should quit selling the compact batteries for drills IMO...the big batteries make the difference between an awesome tool and a worthless one.

Comment

this happened to me with my new 12V compact drill

was drilling 1/4 in. holes into a pallet (just to use my new drill) and once the bit was fully into the wood it got tough and then it died

it was slightly warm to the touch

the only thing i dont like is that there is no battery meter

Comment

I use my Ridgid 18V 1.5 Ah Li batteries for light-duty tasks, over-head work up on a ladder etc to reduce weight or whenever the Bosch 12V Li are not up to the job. My Ridgid Nicads are over 5 yr old and no problems with the 2 yr 1.5/3.0 Ah Li so far.

Comment

i bought the 12v deal specifically so i dont have to lug around the heavier 18v stuff...it puts out enough torque for me...for now

Comment

i agree ive been using the big ones and they have been doin well so far i have to agree the 18 volt compact is great for over head and light duty it would be nice if the batterys came with a lifetime warrenty i hate to buy a kit to get two more big ones 4 would be perfect i had the small batterys cutting off with the impact putting in 2and a half inch tapcons about ten of the put the big one in it was like a tool on roids lol!

Comment

Working...
                            X