Possible new router, need the skinny

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible new router, need the skinny

So, my wife has tentatively OK'ed a new router purchase. Currently, I'm sporting a Mastercraft 1-3/4HP plunge router, with a 1/4" collet. It's OK. It did what it had to do, but now I'm having people pay me to build things for them, and what I deem acceptable for my own use isn't OK for paying customers. I'm looking for something with a little more Umph, especially if I want to build anything with panel doors.

So, I'm looking at the Triton line of routers. I'm impressed with the safety features (especially since my wife is always concerned about my safety, it'll be an easier sell... though I wonder if it's a concern if she always thinks I'm going to hurt myself...), and there seem to be a lot of good reviews out there. Amazon has the 2-1/4HP model listed at 219$, and it comes with the edge guide and the bushing kit. Does anybody have any advice? Serious criticisms with Triton routers? Did a friend use one, and quickly lost his house, wife, and dog? Let me know.

Re: Possible new router, need the skinny

I have this one.

http://dewalt.com/tools/woodworking-...s-dw618b3.aspx

Having the 3 base is a plus. My fix base stays on the router table and I use the other 2 depending on what I am doing. The D handle base is really great for control.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
      I have this one.

Having the 3 base is a plus. My fix base stays on the router table and I use the other 2 depending on what I am doing. The D handle base is really great for control.
      I second that. I actually have two of those kits (bought one when I needed a better router, bought the second when HD put them on clearance for 75 bux!!)

The fixed base is in my table, the motor is in the D handle and the plunge base is in the storage case. The D-handle is just that useful and easy to control.

Comment

............The D handle base is really great for control.
        Although there are some that will disagree with that statement, I don't happen to be one of them. I recently purchased a D-handle base for my Porter Cable router and was so impressed with the extra control I now had with the router that I promptly sold the fixed base that came with the router. There are many very good routers out there so your choices are many but one with the D-handle option makes that DeWalt kit a good choice.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I have this one.

ouch. also looking for a new router to upgrade from my first real powertool purchased 10y ago, a craftsman plunge router that no attachments fit and is only 1/4" collet, i had no idea what to look for back then. but it's $349 up her in canada at HD and the RIDGID is only $199 and will likely go 20% off, bringing it down to $160.

does anyone have any thoughts on the ridgid model and/or know who manufactures it for them? i just can't afford or justify $349+tax on a router right now, let alone ask my wife if i can upgrade mine.

Comment

Working...
          X