Charging Lith Ion batterys on Nicad Charger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging Lith Ion batterys on Nicad Charger

I have an only Ridgid set ( Nicad ) and a newer Lith-ion drill. Is it safe to charge the Lith-ion battery on my old Nicad charger?

Re: Charging Lith Ion batterys on Nicad Charger

Originally posted by savageattack View Post
    I have an only Ridgid set ( Nicad ) and a newer Lith-ion drill. Is it safe to charge the Lith-ion battery on my old Nicad charger?
    Is it safe to fuel up a gasoline car with diesel? Does it say anywhere on the charger that it charges Li-Ion batteries?

/facepalm

Comment

The newer charger, charges both Lith-ion and nicad..... without a selection mode. I want to know if there is a difference in the charging sequence. I placed the Lith-ion on my old charger and it started charging fine without an error ( flashing light on charger ). I only kept it charging for 20sec or so, before removing it. Will it damage the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by savageattack View Post
        The newer charger, charges both Lith-ion and nicad..... without a selection mode. I want to know if there is a difference in the charging sequence. I placed the Lith-ion on my old charger and it started charging fine without an error ( flashing light on charger ). I only kept it charging for 20sec or so, before removing it. Will it damage the battery?
        Yes there is a difference. Yes you will damage batteries on a NiCd charger.

Comment

There have been a large number of threads discussing this..do a search!

The dual charger WILL NOT charge lithium-ion batteries
          The OLDER single charger will not charge lithium-ion batteries

Charger model R840091 will charge ALL the Ridgid 9-18V batteries

Cactus Man

Comment

+1...Put away your old Nicad charger and charge your Lithium/NiCad batteries with the Ridgid Lithium charger for best results. All of the major manufacturers have developed new chargers when they introduced their lithium "upgrades".

Comment

For those that don't know alot about batteries/chargers and think they all do basically the same... don't make the mistake of doing so! Each battery type (nickel cadmium, nickel metal hydride, lithium ion) requires a certain charge profile/peak detection. Lithium batteries can be quite finicky and I remember when they were first introduced into RC racing several years back they were quite destructive when not cared for properly.

I own a Hitachi DV18DL cordless drill, driver, hammerdrill with lithium ion packs/charger and it works great all the time. There are failsafes built into the battery pack(s) that prevent deep discharging, overcharging, high temperatures, super high load being placed on the pack. Don't know if all manufacturers offer this sort of thing for lithiums, but they are incorporated for a reason. Lithiums are not as forgiving as other types of battery packs.

Again, always RTFM (read the freakin manual) on your power equipment and never assume any charger/battery combination will work. Unless a charger is designed to work with a specific battery pack don't be tempted to try it just to get by. Later!

Comment

what makes me mad is that the new dual chem charger doesnt charge the 24v Li batteries. I am some what miffed as to how Ridgid pretty much left us 24v owners in the dark. I love the power the 24v tools have, but cant buy chargers or batteries for them... irritates the hell out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                  There have been a large number of threads discussing this..do a search!

The dual charger WILL NOT charge lithium-ion batteries
                  The OLDER single charger will not charge lithium-ion batteries

Charger model R840091 will charge ALL the Ridgid 9-18V batteries

Cactus Man
                  Can i take apart that charger to see why the light wont stay on,it worked great on all batterys for 3 yrs now the red light kinda comes on if a tap or shake the R840091

Comment

All the indicator lamps are LEDs
                    LED failures or intermittent operation are quite rare but do occur

You can open the charger and look for a cold solder joint
                    However be aware no schematic diagram is available
                    and I strongly doubt customer service or tech support will offer any help.

If you have the LSA program simply take it in for a repair/replacement

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
                    X