X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Line Locators

I am looking to buy a Ridgid line locator and transmitter but have yet to receive any accurate information on them. I have asked reps, salesmen and trainers and they all give me a different answer.

What I need to do is primarily sweeps with pipe no deeper than 10ft. I don't care much about the direct connect as we will rarely use this. We took the course and are now certified to do the work.

The trainer said that the SR-20 will NOT work for sweeping because it does not have a high enough frequency. He said that the SR-60 Will work with any transmitter.

A salesman said that the SR-20 WILL work but only with the SQ-33 Transmitter.
    A rep said that only the SR-60 will work for sweeping and only with a different brand of transmitter, because the freq needs to be higher than what the ridgid transmitters offer.

I am so confused and am considering going with a metrotech or fuji unless I can find out what I will actually need.

Re: Ridgid Line Locators

What exactly are you going to be doing?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

We will be doing inductive line locates for oil companies on right-aways and leases which requires sweeps (Inductive) not direct connect. We will need a locator and a transmitter to locate lines around 10ft in depth or less. We were told that in order to do sweeps you need a minimum of 80khz. When we were taking the course we were doing all sweeps at 200khz or higher.

It is confusing because even the instructor said 80khz or more is all u need but when we were in the field doing the practical we couldn't get anything at that frequency and had to use 200khz or higher.

And as far as I can tell the SR-20 doesn't do anything over 38khz for inductive. Where as the SR-60 will pick up ALL frequencies BUT the transmitters do not transmit at high frequencies. It is very confusing because with other locators they come in sets with the transmitter and locator unit.

Comment

I think I see what you're saying. I am no expert at all but do a fair amount of reading. Not just here either.

You appear to correct and some of the reps appear to be correct in a way.

How can that be?

To my knowledge the SR-60 can be programmed for any frequency. Some that have done nothing but location for awhile like this as they can use a different transmitter they may already have and be happy with as I understand. Plus, they may get into other locations that require other settings that some other locators may not be programmable for. But I AM NOT familiar with all locators either.

The downside in your application is that Seektech/Ridgid's transmitters do not go above 128 Khz. So if you know you are going to need a frequency of 200 Khz then it might be best to either:

1) Look elsewhere if you want the locator and transmitter to "match".

2) Get an SR-60 and a transmitter that provides the Khz needed and program the locator for that.

Also, check back here for a few days and maybe "bump" this thread back to the top as others may give input and the Seektech/Ridgid experts on locators & transmitters will probably read it and also give input.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

NOTE: I just read on page 12 of the SeekTech ST-510 manual that "for 262 Khz press the 33 Khz key twice"....

So apparently it can get in the range you describe. I don't know if all programmable ranges can be done with the inductive clamp or only by "dropping the box".

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/ST-510-T...r/EN/index.htm

Four little boxes under the ST-510 logo. The one on the left is a .pdf file of the users manual.

And if you continue reading it reads that other frequencies can be loaded onto the transmitter. Pretty nice.

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Thank you so much for finding that!! I didnt see the manual button there lol. That just relieved a lot of stress!!

Comment

Inductive locating is a risky proposition. I don't do inductive unless I'm sure of what is in the ground. It is easy to induce a signal in something that you had no idea is there and then you mark IT out instead of the intended line or utility. I think taking a class on locating is a good idea but I've been locating for 12 years now and I wouldn't recommend what you are talking about with the little experience you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Steveinid View Post
                Inductive locating is a risky proposition. I don't do inductive unless I'm sure of what is in the ground. It is easy to induce a signal in something that you had no idea is there and then you mark IT out instead of the intended line or utility. I think taking a class on locating is a good idea but I've been locating for 12 years now and I wouldn't recommend what you are talking about with the little experience you have.
                Steve, welcome to the Forum.

How would you locate large metallic pipe without a tracer or a way to direct connect?

GPR doesn't count.

J.C.

Comment

Yes I understand where you are coming from but in many cases there is nowhere to connect and also no tracer wire like the previous poster stated. If we were to refuse work because we can't direct connect then we wouldn't have any work

Comment

Can a moderator move this to the locating section so the people in charge of locating can give their opinions on this subject. I'd like to know too.

200 Khz possible with a Seektech Transmitter? Direct and inductive?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                      I am looking to buy a Ridgid line locator and transmitter but have yet to receive any accurate information on them.
                      Thank you for posting your questions. If you have other locating questions, the Utility Locating forum is a better place to post them. Hopefully this will clear things up a bit. Comments below...

<<What I need to do is primarily sweeps with pipe no deeper than 10ft. The trainer said that the SR-20 will NOT work for sweeping because it does not have a high enough frequency. He said that the SR-60 Will work with any transmitter.>>

Your trainer was correct with respect to the frequency limitation of the SR-20 - high frequency capability is the primary advantage of the SR-60. Make no mistake, the SR-20 can also do sweeps, but I agree that the SR-60 would be more useful in more circumstances for the type of work you're doing.

<<A salesman said that the SR-20 WILL work but only with the SQ-33 Transmitter.>>

Interesting... Here's what I think he meant: The SR-20's frequency range tops out at 38kHz. The ST-33Q transmitter tops out at 33kHz, BUT it produces 10X the signal output compared to other transmitters because of its antenna design. So in many cases, you will find that the ST-33Q will energize lines at 33kHz where other transmitters cannot. So if you had the SR-20 and wanted to do a lot of passive work, the ST-33Q would be your choice.

<<A rep said that only the SR-60 will work for sweeping and only with a different brand of transmitter, because the freq needs to be higher than what the ridgid transmitters offer.>>

I just double-checked the user manual and JC's Plumbing is correct: the ST-510 can do 262kHz by pressing the 33kHz key twice. The ST-33Q's inductive mode is limited to 8kHz and 33kHz ONLY, so if you need higher frequencies, then the ST-510 is a better choice.

<<I am so confused and am considering going with a metrotech or fuji unless I can find out what I will actually need.>>

I appreciate your frustration, but before you purchase anything get a demo of the SR-60 and ST-510. These units will give you the high frequency capability that you need. If one is available, you may also want to demo the ST-33Q and compare it to the ST-510. If it works for you it will have some advantages: the signal travels much farther at 33kHz and there's less bleed onto adjacent utilities.

One SR-60 feature I think you'll really appreciate is OmniSeek. OmniSeek looks for repeating patterns of energy across a frequency spectrum (60Hz to 33kHz) and locks on to whatever it finds. This is one of the many features covered in the user video, which you can find here: http://www.youtube.com/user/seektech
                      You can also find multimedia tutorials here: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Utility-...g/EN/index.htm

Hope this helps,
                      Guy

Comment

Rebel- I think irguy already addressed most of your questions. However, I did want to clarify a couple of points that came up throughout this thread.

For inductive tracing both the SR20 and SR60 will work for your application. One main difference between the SR20 and SR60 is the frequency range. The SR20’s range is 10Hz to 35kHz and the SR60’s range is 10Hz to 490Khz. The higher frequencies available with the SR60 are good for poor conductors. If you are sure that you will need higher frequencies, then you should go with the SR60. Both of the SR20 and SR60 have the Omni-Seek feature which is great for passive sweeps (no transmitter at all)

As for transmitters, both the SR20 and SR60 will work with any of the transmitters (ST-305, ST-510, or 33Q). The SR20 will only take advantage of the frequencies under 35kHz. The frequency range of each transmitter is:

ST-305: 1kHz, 8kHz, 33kHz, 262kHz (262kHz only available in direct connect mode)
                        ST-510: 128Hz, 1kHz, 8kHz, 33kHz, 262kHz (you can also set the 510 to any frequency used by a competitor’s locator for both direct connect and induction)
                        ST-33Q: Can dial in ANY frequency from 10Hz to 490Hz in direct connect mode. The frequencies available in inductive mode are: 8kHz and 33kHz.

The 33Q transmitter is specifically designed for inductive locating. Because of the design of the inductive coil, this transmitter places a stronger signal at 33 kHz than other transmitters do at much higher frequencies.

I highly recommend getting a demo of the SR60, 33Q, and ST-510 transmitters as irguy suggested.

Comment

Working...
                        X