Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which drill should I go for?

Hey, I am debating at two drills.
    1. Ridgid R9961 which includes a R86007 drill, a free R86030 driver and two Lion betteries, price is 225 CAD;
    2. Dewalt XRP hammer drill dc988ka which includes a dc988ka hammer drill and two xrp betteries, price is 199 CAD
    Which one should I go for? both seem good. :-) Thanks.

Re: Which drill should I go for?

It's a little difficult to help you as The Ridgid web site is once again behind the tool packages that are actually out there for sale at Home Depot. I could not find the kit or the impact from the model numbers you provided. This problem has been going on for years and really needs to be corrected. It makes Ridgid look like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. It also makes experienced forum members very frustrated as we try to help a company that we have an appreciation for and they can't bother to help themselves by keeping the Ridgid web site curent with model numbers of products actually in the market and for sale.
    Please help us help you ProBrand and Josh. Have somebody get on top of this problem that has been an issue waaaaaaaay to long.

Alright, back to Badboys question's. We are a contractor and have extensive experience with Dewalt tools and they are of very high quality and have provided excellent service for us over the years. I don't believe I have ever used that particular model, however unless you plan to do a significant amount of concrete drilling I don't particularly like hammer drills because they weigh significantly more and aren't as well balanced as a similar drill without the hammer feature. I believe the XRP batts are 2.5Ah 18V Nicad. and peform very well.
    We also have extensive experience with Ridgid power products and they are also excellent performers. The Ridgid 007 drill is a compact 18V drill which is a fairly new offering which I have no personal experience with, however if you do a search on this forum I have seen a couple of member posts and seem to remember positive results. I have extensive experience with the long nose R86006 18V compact drill and it is an excellent tool. The impact tool is probably similar to several models of Ridgid 18V impacts that I have used and are moderate performers especially if the batts supplied with this kit are the 1.5Ah LI which I suspect they are. All Ridgid 18V tools perform better with the 3Ah LI batts. I don't know if you have experience with impact tools yet. With professionals they have virtually replaced drills for driving screws due to their greater speed, and ability to drive a larger screw than the same size drill and elimination of twisting wrists and elbows because there is no binding of the tool which puts a torque on the operator.

If it were my money I would purchase the Ridgid set because of the greater flexibility you would enjoy with the impact tool for driving screws and the drill for drilling. This should be a moderate power set that will let you do everthing from installing cabinets to driving 3-4'" deck screws. Both tools have lights and very good trigger controls. The Dewalt would probably have more power for a drill and could be used for drilling in concrete, but would be heavier and probably not as good as the Ridgid impact tool for driving screws in wood. The Ridgid tools are covered by the lifetime service agreement which includes the batteries. That of course is a nice feature as 18V batts are expensive and tend to need replacing every couple of years.
    Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide to do.....Ray
    Last edited by roadrashray; 04-03-2010, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Regardless of this being a RIDGID forum, the best cordless drill I've ever owned or used is a Hitachi DV18DL. This might not help you decide on what to buy, just stating what I have experienced. Later!

Comment

This one.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-6935FDW...0157299&sr=8-1

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input, expecially roadrashray. I finially decided to go for the Ridgid one. To compare them, I bought both back, and will return the Dewalt one. As roadrashray said, the dewalt one is powerful and great but it is not a compact size drill, it is heavy. Since I will not do a significant amount of concrete drilling , I would like to choose a compact and light weight one. Also, the torque level setting ring of the dewalt is hard to use. I need to twist it very hard to change the level. The ridgid combo is good. With the drill and the driver, I can do almost everything in my house. The only concern is that I read some bad thing about Ridgid Li-on battery. I hope they will last longer. :-)

I know Hitachi DS18DL(DV18DL is a hammer drill) is a very good one. It is ranked as the #1 in its class but it is expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Badboy09 View Post
            Thanks for everyone's input, expecially roadrashray. I finially decided to go for the Ridgid one. To compare them, I bought both back, and will return the Dewalt one. As roadrashray said, the dewalt one is powerful and great but it is not a compact size drill, it is heavy. Since I will not do a significant amount of concrete drilling , I would like to choose a compact and light weight one. Also, the torque level setting ring of the dewalt is hard to use. I need to twist it very hard to change the level. The ridgid combo is good. With the drill and the driver, I can do almost everything in my house. The only concern is that I read some bad thing about Ridgid Li-on battery. I hope they will last longer. :-)

I know Hitachi DS18DL(DV18DL is a hammer drill) is a very good one. It is ranked as the #1 in its class but it is expensive.
            I think you made a good choice Bad. Did the kit come with the 1.5Ah or 3.0Ah batts? Regarding battery problems, we got over two years of very hard service out of the 1.5Ah LI batts that came with our tools. That seems to be about the norm for all our batts, Nicad or LI. There were a number of reports on this forum of people experiencing problems with new batts and the owner of my Ridgid service center confirmed that he recived a large number of defective batts for a couple of months last year. He tells me the problem seems to have been corrected. We have now logged a pretty good number of hours on the replacement 18V 1.5Ah LI batts we got in Jan., and they are performing well. There still is a cyclical problem with back orders when obtaining replacement batteries from the Ridgid service centers. Hopefully they will get on top of that issue as it is very negative for customer service.
            Let us know from time to time how these tools are performing for you. That's how we all stay current with tools we don't personaly use.......Ray
            Last edited by roadrashray; 04-03-2010, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Actually the Hitachi DV18DL is a drill and driver with 22 (I think without looking) clutch settings and has the hammerdrill function built in as a 3rd option. In case you misread it isn't just a hammerdrill. Yeah I do agree they are expensive, but IMO you get what you pay for. A fantastic tool with great batteries/charger that has lasted me for almost 3 years now. 2 years ago I put it through some crap, using it to continuously drill through 2x10s and into 6x6 posts when we were building a walkway from deck to pool, then switch over to a driver bit to run 3/8" x 3" lag bolts into these holes. Have yet to use any cordless drill/driver that performed like this thing did. Was very impressed with the power and longevity of the packs throughout the build.

Good luck with the Ridgid setup. Just hope you aren't on here shortly complaining about issues with it, lol... Later!
              Last edited by shadow745; 04-04-2010, 08:31 AM. Reason: Changes, duh!

Comment

Aha, I think it should be ok. I bought it from home depot and it has 90 days return policy. If it goes wrong in a shor time, I still can return it. :-) I think usually the tool itself is not easy to break, just the battery makes me worry a little bit.

Comment

Hey, I am debating at two drills.
                  1. Ridgid R9961 which includes a R86007 drill, a free R86030 driver and two Lion betteries, price is 225 CAD;
                  2. Dewalt XRP hammer drill dc988ka which includes a dc988ka hammer drill and two xrp betteries, price is 199 CAD
                  Which one should I go for? both seem good. :-) Thanks.

If you want to get opinion by the masses, just start a poll. Or else everyone is going to tell you to get something entirely different. If you've done your homework, and it's Ridgid vs Dewalt. Then just do a poll.

Comment

I would go with DeWalt, or Milwaukee because of the vast array of other cordless tools they offer. If the weight of a cordless drill is a problem, I suggest you hit the gym. I'd like to make my drill heavier! This is a tool for a man, not some girly man!

Comment

Each person has their own reasons and uses I suppose. No "best" decision can be defined because we're all different and may have different needs.

The right size Milwaukee, Ridgid, Hitachi, Dewalt, Bosch, etc. will probably keep you happy.

With that said, I own different types and others that I have recommended the Makita to have different ones also.

They thank me for recommending this kit and it's usually the first one I and they reach for on different tasks.

Just good pound for pound and dollar for dollar ratio for anyone looking for something similar.

Some of them will be skewed of course, but 124 reviews on Amazon with an average rating of 4.5 stars.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. :-)
                        I chose the Ridgid combo not because I thought Rigid was better than Dewalt but because I am looking for a tool which has enough power to handle works in my house (not heavy duty), good quality, not too expensivece. I am not looking for the best tool but the resonable tool for me around 200 CAD.

When I asked the salse stuff in Home Depot, he said "if you are going to use it at home but not for some heavy duty work, the quality of the Rigid is good (not the best) and the life time warranty can keep it working for ever". With 200 CAD, if I can buy a set of Bosch or Mikita 18v drill and driver, I will go for them. :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X