pressure washer incident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pressure washer incident

i ran my rd80701 3000psi washer today for the first time and every once in a while the moter would gear down and blue smoke would come out the exhaust in a big puff. When i turned the unit off a loud bang sounded.
    Any ideas if the is normal for a new engine?

Re: pressure washer incident

I do not have that washer, but in my past experience with engines, large and small,
    I would not consider it normal, the blue smoke is normally a sign of oil burning, if there was a very light haze of it basically continuously it may be normal in a break in period, but not puffs of it, and the bang in shut off I would not think as normal either,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

On my tractor, if I shut the engine off at idle, it will create a loud bang. Lots of small engines will create a loud bang when shut off. You can thank epa for that since many engines are jetted to run lean to comply with their regulations. When I shut my pw off, I turn the throttle to about half way and kill the engine and I don't get a bang. For the puff of blue smoke, check to make sure your oil level is correct and not over filled. Its not uncommon for engines to burn a little oil while the piston rings seat. If it keeps doing it after break in, you might have a problem.

Comment

The "BANG" is caused by the ignition of unburned fuel. When you turn the switch "off" the engine continues to spin through many cycles, pumping fuel from the carburetor through the engine and collecting, unburned (remember - the ignition is "off"), in the muffler where it is ignited by a red-hot metal surface.

An engine that has not been broken in or broken in improperly will smoke. Overfilling the crankcase will make it smoke even worse.

EDIT: I might add that since your engine has exhibited the post-shutdown "bang" once, it will probably continue to do so. It's actually the muffler causing this and it won't hurt anything
        Last edited by Doctordeere; 04-03-2010, 05:29 PM. Reason: Added info.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
        X