X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3000 PSI Pressure Washer questions

Hello Folks! I have the 3000 psi Ridgid PW from HD and it's about 2 or 3 years old. The engine surges or hunts after it warms completely up and I open the choke up all the way. I cleaned the carburetor bowl and sprayed cleaner all around inside the carburetor but it didn't help much. If I back off on the choke a bit it calms it down. Also my other question is while its working the pressure at the wand will suddenly drop off to next to nothing, after it it stays like this for a miniuet or two I'll hear the engine kinda "bump" a bit and then come back up to pressure for no apparent reason. Could this be inlet water pressure? I'm running the PW off a home well and their not known for the high pressure. It's done this drop in pressure thing since it was new.
    The rev'n of the engine started more recently. The Fuel is fresh and I use StaBil and clean all my carburetors regularly due to the gas problems we all have with small engines. This one was clean as new inside.
    thank for your thoughts everyone!

Re: 3000 PSI Pressure Washer questions

Fuel related most likely. Get some Shell or Chevron premium, fresh from a high volume station, add the stabil, drain the tank, take the carb off , bowl off, and clean everything with carb spray. Add some fuel to the tank and allow it to run through and do not use this as it will have some of the old fuel in it. Adding stabil to old fuel will not fix the fuel. Premium runs best in any small engine, learned that from a repair spec. Echo also rec. premium now due to the EPA crapping up the fuel with ethanol blends, which easily goes to H2O over time. Less issues with the premium due to the added Octane. I even add some synthetic premix oil as that will lube the engine some, even with 4 stroke engines. The 50:1 is the max you should use in a 4 stroke. Sound odd, but trust me these new engines run so lean that help the performance. Stabil shoud be used all the time in these small engines, no down side.
    I had to do this with my Honda / CAT DeWalt PW. as the fuel degraded and it did just what you said. Had to run it with the choke 1/2 on until I fixed it. The fuel was only 1 month old but had no stabil in it.

Look at the plug, it might need cleaning too. It might not run great at first but as you run the fresh fuel in it it should improve.

Comment

thanks Andrew! I'll try the premium gas you suggested, I haven't heard that one before but it makes sense and it sure wouldn't hurt. I did find that the plug was fouled and I cleaned it up best I could with a wire brush etc.. but still it didn't resolve the surging of the engine. Nearly every (running) engine problem I have ever had was gas related & caused by the crap gas they are selling these days. These little engines just don't have the compression or the heat for combustion of all the additives. as well you know, gunk remains to foul everything up. The puzzling thing about this issue is that upon inspection, the carburetor and linkage and springs etc... and everything I could see inside the carburetor was all quite clean. Nothing in the bottom of the carburetor bowl but a small amount of grit & a little bit of residue, I cleaned it all anyway. So of everything I've done and all that you suggested as well one thing left is to see how it runs on premium gas. I'm also thinking about grabbing a new plug next time I'm in the store. They're cheep and I usually replace them every 1 to 2 years. This was suggested by a Cub Cadet Factory Service tech to me once and at least with their Kohler engines it has definitely helped. It's cheep insurance at the least. Ultimately, I suppose it could be a Governor problem? although more likely the carburetor. Thanks!

Comment

I doubt that premium alone will make the engine stop surging. I assume the oil level is OK as the low oil sending unit can cause issues. If you are sure that the oil level is correct, you could bypass the sending unit to check it.
        Did you use compressed air to blow out all passage ways in the carb? A small speck can clog a vital passage. I would pull the carb again and clean it. Any vacuum leak in the intake can cause issues. I always coat the gaskets with a thin film of marine grease to help keep the seal and allow easy removal. Check fuel flow from the tank. I always blow compressed air into the line both ways. The flow could be intermittent with debris in the tank. The needle valve / float could be the issue if the plug was fouled, it might be flooding b/c the needle is not in the seat correctly. Look at the needle tip, should have no lines or deformity. The float has to move easily, no binding and be at the correct level.
        The newer fuel just ruins the rubber parts. Just got done rebuilding my carbs[4] on my '92 Kawi zx11 ninja. That was flooding out. They were all damaged. My fuel line on my Toro commercial mower is as hard as ridgid plastic in a few years. It is a Gates, rubber hose made in the USA too. They make these EPA /CARB[here in CA] regulation without any regard to what is going to happen to us the public and the manufacturers products. It is like a religious belief to them. Revival of pagan worshiping of the earth as god.

Comment

I highly suggest you change out the spark plug and not just clean it. Cleaning a nearly shot plug does next to nothing. Buy the proper plug, gap it and let it rip. Also, always use something like STA-BIL in your fuel as it really does help keep it from getting stale. Later!

Comment

Also check your throttle spring for fatigue. I am assuming your air filter is clean.

Comment

There is a pilot jet below the air filter housing which is most likely clogged causing the surging. Remove the air filter housing and look on the top of the carb for the jet. If your unsure when it is, download the parts manual for subaru robin for you motor. Unscrew the jet with flat head screw driver. At first you'll probably think that there is no holes in it, but there are. I popped out a bristle from a little metal brush that I had laying around. It was small enough and firm enough to clean out the blockage.

Comment

Working...
              X