No announcement yet.

BS 1400 under-mounting the motor. . . ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS 1400 under-mounting the motor. . . ?

I have recenting purchased a BS1400 Band Saw from Direct Tools here locally. I paid $249.00, it is "factory recondictioned". I've really been wanting a band saw for awhile now, and due to the "lack of funds" coming into the home I decided on this one. Now since then, I been reading ALOT of threads @ different sites about this saw, needless to say, they aren't too good. I, also, have a "slight" vibration problem. It still cuts well, but I wondering if it will get worse as I use it. I've read the solutions people have used such as replacing the tires, balancing the wheels using lead "fishing sinkers" glued to the wheels or using stick-on weights for tires from the auto parts store, mounting the saw & motor onto MDF to the top of the stand, changing the blade, using a linked drive belt, and so on & on & on. But there has been one idea that I've heard about mounting the motor underneath the saw to lower the CG (center of gravity). Now, I would like to know and see how this can be done. It seems like an interesting plan. If someone has done this successfully, could you please show how you did it. Thanks
    Last edited by Coppertop24; 04-11-2010, 09:10 PM.

Re: BS 1400 under-mounting the motor. . . ?

Not sure about mounting the motor beneath. I am certain you would have to replace the stock stand and build one to suit that set-up. As for a vibration remedy, the most effective course is to balance the wheels. The easiest way is to drill dimples around the perimeter to remove weight where needed. If you plan to replace the tires w/ urethane, do it before balancing. Check the drive pulley alignment, and add a link belt would be the next step. If you don't balance the wheels, the other methods will not make much difference.

As for the saw itself... for the price, it is worth the effort to tune and improve. I have installed urethane tires -$30, balanced the wheels (drill method) -free, checked pulley alignment -free, added a link belt -$25, and reinforced the stand -free... all to end up with a virtually vibration free saw. I have also added a Kreg fence system -$110, a 6" riser -$70, a customized Grizzly tension release -$40, Carter tension spring -$20, and made my own ratcheting tensioning rod -free. I paid $150 for the saw in new condition from CL and spent nearly twice that on improvements. Not all the improvements are necessary, but I now have a great, easy to use, and reliable saw for a good price (much less than a comparable out of the box saw).
    Attached Files

Comment

Did you use a Jet riser block or a Grizzly? I heard that both will work on this saw.

Comment

Grizzly H3051. It fits with no modification and everything lined up perfectly. A can of silver paint to cover the green and it matches the frame of the Ridgid. My only complaint is the blade that came with the riser block was low quality, but that was expected.

Comment

Working...
        X