X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plunge on ridgid router?

I was wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the plunge mechanism on ridgids 2 1/4 hp router. I have to place the top of the router on a table and smack the base with my hand to get it to compress. Thanks. Bought it used so no warranty.

Re: Plunge on ridgid router?

I don't own that particular router but maybe a little lubrication on the slide mechanism will help. To be on the safe side, I'd also clean the slide mechanism before applying any additional lube.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Make sure the motor housing and the inside of the base is clean and clear of any corrosion. The maganesium housing is susceptable to corrosion from humidity, much more so than aluminum bases as used on most other routers.

Also check to see that the locking lever (on the right rear of the housing, within a (long) thumb's-throw of the right handle. Perhaps it was over-adjusted and is not fully releasing.

Last, and most likely obvious, but make sure that the stop is clear (pulled up to set the distance of the plunge) and that you're not trying to push the router downward and at the same time trying to overcome the friction of the stop rod. (Not sure what your experience is, so my apologies if this is just too obvious.)

On my R2900, the plunge base works quite easily and I've had no problem with it.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks. I noticed the display model in HD had holes in the plastic tops on the plunge rods. This is probably to let air out and mine doses not have them. I'll try your suggestions though thanks.

Comment

I bought a Ridgid r29301 router with plunge base and staionary base. I'm unable to change bases becasue I can't remove the morotr from the plunge base. I've unlocked the base, held in the collet lock and it won'dn't budge. Any ideas? I have a Boschand Craftsman router also and they both slide easily in the base.

Comment

I had this same issue. I was recently in the market for a router and liked the price of the Ridgid so picked it up. But at the same time, there was a Mastercraft Maximum on for half price ($99 vs $199 for Ridgid). Features were identical.

I picked them both up and played with them a bit, but the plunge mechanism on the Ridgid was very sticky, while the Mastercraft Max was nice and smooth. So that, along with the price swayed me to the MM. I really wanted the Ridgid, but couldn't justify spending double when it didn't even feel as good as the MM.

Comment

Do you recall if it was that tight when you first got it? I have the R2900 and it works very well and I have no problem with adjustment, plunge, or changing basing, even after several years and some oxidation of the motor housing do to humidity.

The magnesium can be a problem with oxidation in even moderate humidity, but on mine I notice that it occurs mostly on the exposed portion of the motor housing and not where it is contained within the base. However, I can imagine that it can happen and that might be a source of any sticking, like you are experiencing. But, I haven't had that occur.

If you'll sure the lock clamp is loose, and you can't budge the motor within the base, about the safest thing I can recommend is to send it in for service.

Sorry,

CWS

Comment

I took the combo back to Home Depot and they swapped it out for a new one which works just fine.

Comment

Way to go!!!

I'm glad it worked out for you. Good luck with your new router.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                  X