Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use NiCads in my 18V Lithium ion drill?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use NiCads in my 18V Lithium ion drill?

I bought an 18V Ridgid Lithium ion drill just short of 3 years ago. I'm not a contractor and don't use my tools for my occupation, yet my 2 batteries do not last very long -- it just occurred to me the other day. I'm still in the warranty period, at least for 1 of the batteries, and will swap it out, but perusing a few threads on this forum indicates that many people have had complaints with these batteries (the compact ones that came with the drill).
    Do Ridgid NiCad batteries fit and work in this drill? It seems like going backwards, but I've read that they are more robust.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Can I use NiCads in my 18V Lithium ion drill?

Yes all ridgid 18v batteries fit 18v ridgid powertools

Comment

Thanks. That makes for more options.

Comment

FYI: Put away the Ridgid 18v Nicad charger and use the Ridgid 18v Lithium charger for both types of batteries for best results. IMO consider charging your batteries at least twice a year depending upon your useage levels

Comment

Are you referring to the RapidMax charger? That's the only one I have.
          Thanks.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2403522beff9ea96f50864376ae47985.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	10703

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
              Click image for larger version

Name:	2403522beff9ea96f50864376ae47985.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	10703
              That charger will do both LI and Nicad.
              To get back to your original question. We are a contractor and use our tools hard every day. We have been using several of the compact 1.5Ah batts for several years and have experienced no problems using them in drills. We have had problems with LI batts when using them in circ saws as they will shut off when the saw binds a couple of times due to the current overload feature. I could imagine a scenario where a drill might shut down due to overload if you were using it with a large hole saw and had it bind. Have you ever had it shut down when you have been working it during the last three years? Although we have a number of the large Nicad batts our crews like to use the compact LI's because they provide sufficient power and very good balance and a light, compact, tool for working in unwieldy locations.
              The bottom line is the Nicads should provide greater power than the compact LI's however they can be more cumbersome. We have found both battery types to have similar longevity before replacement is necessary......Ray
              Last edited by roadrashray; 04-27-2010, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Ray,
                Thanks for your post. I realized that my charger does both NiCad and lithium, but when reConx mentioned putting away the charger, I wasn't sure what he meant. I'm glad to hear that you and your crew have made out well witht he 1.5Ah batteries. I don't think I've had my drill shut down like that, it's just that they don't seem to last long with fairly light usage. I think that only 1 of my 2 batteries will be covered by warranty, so now I have to figure out which one is worse off.

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                That charger will do both LI and Nicad.
                To get back to your original question. We are a contractor and use our tools hard every day. We have been using several of the compact 1.5Ah batts for several years and have experienced no problems using them in drills. We have had problems with LI batts when using them in circ saws as they will shut off when the saw binds a couple of times due to the current overload feature. I could imagine a scenario where a drill might shut down due to overload if you were using it with a large hole saw and had it bind. Have you ever had it shut down when you have been working it during the last three years? Although we have a number of the large Nicad batts our crews like to use the compact LI's because they provide sufficient power and very good balance and a light, compact, tool for working in unwieldy locations.
                The bottom line is the Nicads should provide greater power than the compact LI's however they can be more cumbersome. We have found both battery types to have similar longevity before replacement is necessary......Ray

Comment

Working...
                X