Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

RD 80701 pressure washer went up $30! And a question...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD 80701 pressure washer went up $30! And a question...

I've been keeping my eye on the 80701 pressure washer for about 6 months now, waiting for it to dip below $549. Even had an envelope marked Pressure Washer with the cash in it. Up here, they start selling around May when the weather gets nicer, and I expected a sale. I went in this past weekend and it was priced at $579! Great, then they'll have a "sale" and mark it down to $549 or $559!!!

But then I noticed that one sign on the rack still said $549, while the display and some of the other rack areas said $579. So I went over there last night and got one for the lower price. The manager said, "You can have one for that price, but I have to go and fix the sign." Kind of lucked out.

Assembly was very easy, but as many have stated before, the instructions are very small and hard to read. If you have 2 braincells to rub together, it is pretty easy to figure out since there are only so many loose parts. The instructions remind me of those Bionicle Lego toys with little or no words. Have yet to fire it up, but am pretty certain I will be happy with this purchase.

Looking forward to running it this weekend, but I have a question. I have windows with removable screen panels on the outside. I'd like to clean both the screens and the windows. Should I leave the screens on and hit both with soap and then a rinse, or remove the screens and do the windows directly and the screens separately?

Re: RD 80701 pressure washer went up $30! And a question...

Answering my own post...

Tried it out tonight, and here are my first impressions:

1. Engine started fine, let it run for about 1 minute, and then used the 40 degree tip. Engine surged a little, and pressure went low, then came back ok for the rest of the time. All the air had been purged prior, so I think it might have been the engine still warming up.

2. The 0 degree tip didn't do such a hot job on my greasy grill grate. I suspect that the reason was because of: very cold water, very cold wind, no soap. I think (someone please encourage me!) that if these conditions were not present, I would be raving.

3. Tried the 25 degree tip on concrete sidewalk with small moss/lichen embedded. Again, not such a good job, but ok-ish. When I went back over, it came up easier, which makes me believe that the moss/lichen was simply dried and needed to be rehydrated to come off easier.

4. The engine is nice, but seems to labor during the job. I suspect that it is simply doing its job. The pump housing was warm, and the engine oil level was right where it should be. The on-off switch is in a weird place, would be better on the front of the engine.

5. I suspect water supply is ok, but the hose I was using was a bit flat in some spots. Some residual kinks were present, but I plan on getting a good quality hose that can be dedicated to this pressure washer.

As I was going through this trial period, I could not help but be a little disappointed. I am really hoping that once the water warms up and I use some detergent, I will be much happier. Will this be the case?

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post

As I was going through this trial period, I could not help but be a little disappointed.
      You should have went to Sears or Lowes and bought one of thier $400 washers, use it for a week, return it. Then buy the RD 80701. You would have been much happier, or less disappointed!

Comment

The results you get depends on your technique. Most people will swing the wand in an arc while cleaning instead of holding the wand perpendicular to the surface and move the whole wand left or right. If you are swinging the wand in an arc the tip to surface distance is always changing.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
          The results you get depends on your technique. Most people will swing the wand in an arc while cleaning instead of holding the wand perpendicular to the surface and move the whole wand left or right. If you are swinging the wand in an arc the tip to surface distance is always changing.
          I keep the tip a consistent distance from the work area, kind of like when you spray paint, to avoid the changing distance thing you speak of. Don't get me wrong, the washer is a very nice unit, but I think the conditions I was using it in would put *any* non-heated washer at a disadvantage.

Speaking of technique: what would be the best way to clean a sidewalk?

One option would be positioning the tip horizontal, and use it like an ice scraper. Start by your feet and push it forward, come back, move over a little, and repeat.

Another technique would be to position the tip vertical, and slowly walk sideways. Then take a small step forward and go in the opposite direction.

It would seem the first option would result in the sidewalk getting a more consistent stream.

Comment

You can leave the screens in place when window washing, but sometimes dirt and debris can get trapped behind them leaving a cluster of crap once finished. Do remember that it's best to use high volume of water and less pressure when washing pretty much everything on a home. Let the detergent(s) do the work on windows, siding, etc. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
              You can leave the screens in place when window washing, but sometimes dirt and debris can get trapped behind them leaving a cluster of crap once finished. Do remember that it's best to use high volume of water and less pressure when washing pretty much everything on a home. Let the detergent(s) do the work on windows, siding, etc. Later!
              I ended up pulling the screens off and cleaning the windows directly. I used Krud Kutter general purpose cleaner (purple), and wasn't terribly happy with the results on glass. The windows were dirty, and it looked like it removed most of the dirt from the ground floor windows and only about half from the second floor windows. First story used the soap nozzle at the close range setting and 25 degree tip for rinse, second story used soap nozzle at long range setting and the 0 degree for rinse. Always hit windows at an angle around 45 degrees, and all glass saw a gentle rinse due to the distance, not high pressure.

Am I doing something wrong?

Screens I leaned against the garage door and you should have seen the filthy water running down the garage door, just with water! Soap really helped get even more out. Indoors is much brighter now after having clean screens and cleaner glass.

Comment

Working...
              X