X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1300 Thickness Planer

The local HD has an older 1300 that has been sitting for months. It is missing about $20 in non-essential parts, like the tool cover door. I can get the unit for $100 as is.

What do people think? Is this unit comparable to Delta and Dewalt? It looks more durable than the newer 4330.

Re: 1300 Thickness Planer

Greg,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

I have a new TP1300 still sitting in the box, waiting for setup in a new shop (if I ever get the time.). From my limited point of view, it's a very good thickness planer, and in consideration of the many reviews and other positive posting I've read in the last several years, you certainly can't go wrong for $100.

The 1300 has a 2-blade cutter head, unlike the current R4330... but it does have a cutter head lock which they dropped on the new model. The DeWalt has 2-speeds and while I can't attest to it's value, I'm sure there are members who could tell you whether or not it is a much used feature.

I had not seen the R4330, when I bought the last TP1300 my local HD had. But, I was given a chance to trade since it arrived quickly after I bought the 1300. I decided against it, simply because the new unit lacked the cutter head lock; and, as you have noticed, the TP1300 seemed more substantial to me. Also, the TP1300 came with a leg set and an extra set of blades. BTW, the blades are two sided and are priced at around $30. They also appear to be more substantial than the 3-pak blades for the R4330. (They are different and not interchangeable.)

One last comment... proabably anything that you are missing can be obtained through Ridgid parts or M and D Mower. You could also call Ridgid Customer Service and tell them that you bought the unit "as is" from Home Depot, and perhaps they can assist you with whatever you might need.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Greg,

Welcome.

I have a 22-580 Delta 13" planer, about 2 years old. I bought it because of the name, and some internet reviews by people that, apparently, go out and look at their equipment occasionally but must never use it. It is by far the the worst tool I own, rivalled only by the almost-but-not-quite-as-bad Dewalt biscuit joiner. At least with the Dewalt, I have several others of their stuff and all is good. I think the plate joiner must be the red-headed step child of their lineup. Funny thing is, I generally like red-heads.... The Delta planer, however, would probably even embarass Harbor Freight.

Can't comment on the Ridgid. But it would be tough for it to be worse than the Delta. If I could get someone to give me $100 for that pile of junk, I would probably get so excited I would buy the poor dumb guy $105 worth of drinks. I thought about donating it to the Salvation Army, but they never did anything bad to me.

Comment

+1 on the comments by CWS. if the 1300 can be had for $100, run, don't walk, to get it. it is a good planer according to a 2004 planer test in popular woodworking:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...aners.0204.pdf

based on this test, it lost to the dewalt because: "The Ridgid put in a good
        performance in the test, but it was ultimately beaten out by the more feature-laden three-knife DeWalt."

i got one for $205 a few months back, but it was a NIB unit.

i kept it over a few dewalt 735s i purchased and subsequently sold as i'm a big fan of the ridgid limited lifetime service agreement. i also had the sears 21743 mentioned in the pop. wood. article and liked it. it was sold when i got the 1300.

for $100, you absolutely can't go wrong. does it have the leg stand? regarding missing parts, PM me for effective ways to address that .
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks for all the input.

I almost bought a Delta from eBay, so thanks for the Delta information. I am guessing that some of the old reliable brands are not so reliable anymore.

The same company makes both Ridgid and Ryobi and it seems that the two brands are getting closer and closer in design. That is a reason to buy the 1300.

It is missing the legs, the magnetic wrench, dust shoot, the door to the tool holder and the spare blades (I think). The legs I don't care about. The rest I can get from Ridgid for about $50.

The unit has been sitting for a long long time. I made an off-hand $100 offer expecting it to be rejected. The manager was out of mark down money, but said come back next week and he will do it for the $100. The unit was the display model, so no box, no instructions and no charge for the dust and dirt.

I will head back to HD next week.

Thanks again!

Comment

the spare blades are in a holder under one of the infeed/outfeed tables in a plastic case retained by 2 spring clips.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I just bought a used 1300 for $225.00 in good condition. It has the tools but no manual. So I don't know how to change blades. I would appreciate some help here as I have to plane 200 ft. of oak in the next couple of days.
              Thanks in advance. Lorne

Comment

You can print out the Owners Manual from here.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Many thanks for the manual. I checked with Ridgid parts and was quoted $7.31 for the manual, plus $43.00 shipping . Apparently they only ship fed ex and I being in Canada there is extra paper work and assorted BS. I was surprised they couldn't mail it, I've gotten mail from the U.S. before.
                  But no matter, you've saved the day.
                  I now realize I am also short the dust chute, but then I don't have a dust collector either.
                  I flipped the blades over and inspected the rollers and the rest of the machine, and am pleasantly surprised to see no wear at all. The planer operates as if new.
                  One last question- what product are people using to clean the rollers?
                  Thanks again, Lorne

Comment

Lorne, I use mineral spirits to clean the rollers on my planer.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Well there ya go, ask and you shall recieve !
                      And thanks again

Comment

I purchased a used planer from a garage sale for $90.00 and am also missing the dust collector and tool door. Did you have any luck obtaining a dust collector and if so, let me know where and how much. I'm in Canada near Toronto. Thanks,

Comment

www.toolsnow.com, click on Ridgid

Comment

Working...
                          X