Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy needs some advice please.

Hello,
    I am fairly new to this forum and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my R4511 Table saw.
    The left hand extension is not flat where the angle for the front 2x2 square tube bolts to. There is a high spot on the face of the table extension about 1 1/2 inches from where it meets the left side of the table. I made sure the back side of the LH Ext. is flush and where they meet in the front is also flush but this "hump" creates a gap where the two table pieces meet.

What I am wondering is is this nitpicking? My Dad had a saying when we would be woodworking; "this isn't a machine shop you know" he would say. So do I care about this? Please see attached pic. It is looking down on the table.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

BG Olson
    Attached Files

Re: New guy needs some advice please.

I wouldn't say you're nitpicking. I have the same problem on my saw but I actually just cranked the angles down tight (really tight). Probably not the best thing to do but seems like it's pretty flush now.

Originally posted by BG Olson View Post
    The left hand extension is not flat where the angle for the front 2x2 square tube bolts to. There is a high spot on the face of the table extension about 1 1/2 inches from where it meets the left side of the table. I made sure the back side of the LH Ext. is flush and where they meet in the front is also flush but this "hump" creates a gap where the two table pieces meet.

What I am wondering is is this nitpicking?

Comment

I don't have the R4511, so I can't speak to the details that you have posted. But as far as the picture and it's "hot spot" as you term it, I would offer my opinion that you're not being "picky" at all. Whether a saw table is made of granite, cast iron, or aluminum, I would expect it to be consistantly flat across the work surface. Perhaps a few thousands might be permissible (as your Dad said, "it's not a machine shop", but when it gets to a hundreth, that's too far in my opinion.

There are several 4511 owners on the forum, as well as quite a few seasoned woodworkers, who I'm sure will offer you some expert advice. You may have return the extension and ask for an exchange at Home Depot, or contact Ridgid Customer Service... but let's wait to see what the other members have to say.

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I contacted Ridgid support and they are going to send out a replacement. Hopefully this new one is spot on. Really I contacted them more on principal. CWS, like you said, it should be flat, regardless if it really affected performance.

Thanks again,
        BG Olson

Comment

Working...
        X