X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3300 Pressure Washer Problem

I purchased the RD80702 3300 psi washer (with CAT pump and Subaru EX21 engine) from HD three weeks ago and used it without any problems for a total work time of 6 hours. The next time out, the unit ran fine until I started washing. After about 30 seconds of washing, the motor would lag (pressure drop), then speed back up to normal speed and pressure. This would continue every minute or so until I stopped the unit.

I changed the oil and made sure the proper amount was added, but the engine still slows, then speeds up and now stalls out. There is a linkage from the top of the crankcase to what seems to be the inlet air throttle (fuel injection) and this is moving back and forth slowing and speeding the engine.

Is this linkage connected to an oil pressure sensor? Anyone else have this problem?

Re: 3300 Pressure Washer Problem

Fuel 1st.
    The new oxygenated and ethenol blends are crap for any storage. The more air in the tank the faster it will break down. You need to buy fresh gas, premium is best, from a major brand[I like Shell], higher volume station[you have no idea of how old the fuel really is] , add Stabil, that is a must for any storage, never did that before but after all the fuel issues I have had I always do it now. Best Stabil price is to have Lowe's PM HD or Walmart on the qt. size.
    Drain all that old fuel out, empty the bowel too. It might not run well at first but as the new fuel goes through it should improve if it is not a mechanical/electrical engine issue. The oil sensor grounds out the ignition. If you are sure of the oil level you can try disconnecting the wire, or check to see if there is continuity but they usually go bad in an open condition not closed so I doubt it is that., function like the old B&S engines which you stopped by grounding out the spark-plug with a metal tang.

Comment

Thanks, I will try it today. I still have a few days left to return it to HD and try another one, but if it is fuel, it will just happen again. I did download the service manual from Robin and learned that the linkage from the crankcase is the governor linked to the throttle body.

Next time I will stick with a good old carburetor.

Comment

Make sure the oil is at the proper level at 1/2 full.
        the proper way to check the oil is on a flat surface dip the dipstick without screwing it in. Oil level on the dipstick should be 1/2 way beween the two cross hatched areas. The engine owner's manual on the subaru website has the correct pictures. If you over fill the oil these engines espeically during break-in, can have oil issues into the air cleaner or fuel pump. The EFI engine on the RD80702 and RD80905 includes only 12 ounces of engine oil shipped with the unit. 1/2 way up the dipstick will elimiate issues.

there are good trouble shooting tips in the EFI specific engine service and owner's manual

http://www.robinamerica.com/media/ma...2962795000.pdf

www.robinamerica.com/media/manuals/128479338551584055.pdf

Comment

I too bought the RD XXX802 unit and when I began using it it started to rev up and down when the pump was under load. Release the trigger and the engine idled fine.. put it under load and it began to rev up and down.. Pretty annoying.. and impacted the time to complete my drive way.. I called Home depot and they said to bring it back for another one.... Seems like the fuel injection cant keep up with the pumps load it puts on the engine. We shall see with another new one.. I contacted Rigid to inquire about why this unit is acting this way. I have had a karcher for 17 years and today it crapped out so I thought I would buy a Top of line unit from the depot....now not so sure i want the fuel injection...might be a real BIG problem.....

Comment

Disappointing to know that no matter what is done to "better" these Ridgid units problems still exist. Seems as if tech support/instruction is very much lacking as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
              Disappointing to know that no matter what is done to "better" these Ridgid units problems still exist...
              Care to show us a power equipment manufacturer that's immune to issues?

jwmarc, if it were me, I'd return the RD80702 and find myself one of the new RD80706 units.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I think he is well past the return period. However, Ridgid warranties their pressure washers for three years. If you're close to a service center, have them fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by A.T. View Post
                  I think he is well past the return period...
                  If I'm reading his post right, he purchased it 6/12/11, well within the 90 day period.
                  And he's right, there are issues with the fuel injected units. And no ASC can change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                    Care to show us a power equipment manufacturer that's immune to issues?

jwmarc, if it were me, I'd return the RD80702 and find myself one of the new RD80706 units.

Of course any power equipment can have issues, but manufacturer design and user maintenance has ALOT to do with it. For example, I have a 38cc brushcutter made in the early 90s by Robin for Sears and the thing just keeps going strong. I do Preventive Maintenance based on use and it never lets me down. I will say my vote goes to Husqvarna for any future purchases.

Comment

His post is dated 4/30/2010.

Comment

The post in question is dated 06-12-2011.

Comment

Working...
                        X