X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee Compact copper cutter & Hackzall

I am thinking of buying these tools and am wandering if any of you actually have them and what do you think of them and are they worth having.

Tony

Re: Milwaukee Compact copper cutter & Hackzall

I have had both of them for a while now and really like them. They are not perfect, but the advantages to them are greatly outweighed by the few quirks they have. I would buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
      I am thinking of buying these tools and am wandering if any of you actually have them and what do you think of them and are they worth having.

Tony
      if you buy a recip saw, the copper cutter will be kinda redundant unless you cut a lot and too lazy to deburr. Recip cuts 83 1-1/2" ABS pipe, tested personally. I highly recommend you buy the 6-cell XC batteries instead of using the stock 3-cell batteries.

Comment

They just released an M18 Hackzall. From the pictures the tool looks the same size as the 12 volt, but the M18 battery of course is bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
          if you buy a recip saw, the copper cutter will be kinda redundant unless you cut a lot and too lazy to deburr. Recip cuts 83 1-1/2" ABS pipe, tested personally. I highly recommend you buy the 6-cell XC batteries instead of using the stock 3-cell batteries.
          If you are just a handyman your reply might make sense but both of these guys are plumbers. Only a hack would use a reciprocating saw to cut copper tubing and both methods would require deburring.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I went out and priced the hackzall and bought a combo as it turned out cheaper and the copper cutter was thrown in I've never really liked copper cutters as you have to debur after the cut and and is time consuming and a pain in the *** but the hackzall is going to be a God send when cutting into plaster walls and cutting 100 or 90mm PVC piping in the ground as it can be used with on hand as my larger AEG electrical sabre saw is a two handed beast.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Only a hack would use a reciprocating saw to cut copper tubing and both methods would require deburring.

Mark
              Didn't see he was a plumber, sorry, and I said if he cuts a lot he should get the cutter. If he is a plumber then he should definitely get it.

You also chastised me for "Only a [putdown] would..." type sentences, might want to check your hypocrisy meter.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                Didn't see he was a plumber, sorry, and I said if he cuts a lot he should get the cutter. If he is a plumber then he should definitely get it.

You also chastised me for "Only a [putdown] would..." type sentences, might want to check your hypocrisy meter.
                I wasn't calling you a hack and meant no disrespect. I was merely pointing out a plumber would not use a reciprocating saw to cut copper tubing unless he was a hack. When you cut copper tubing with a reciprocating saw you do not get a clean and square cut. Even large copper cut off machines cut with a wheel as opposed to a toothed blade to give you a clean and square cut.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  If you are just a handyman your reply might make sense but both of these guys are plumbers. Only a hack would use a reciprocating saw to cut copper tubing and both methods would require deburring.

Mark
                  Interesting. Apparently only a hack would use a hackzall.

J.C.

Comment

Comment

not to mention 1 little copper fine/ sawdust will embed itself into the soft rubber seal of ballcocks and compression style faucets.

a hackzall is great for demo, but not for cutting water pipe and tubing for new work. if you do, you'll be servicing a lot of fixtures, guaranteed

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X